Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster Encounters Removed
Patrick Offline

Threads: 1
Monster Encounters Removed

Good morning, I'm Patrick and this is my first post here. Please remind me should I do anything wrong.

I have a little present for you SOMA players out there. Please read on.

Introduction
-------------

After playing SOMA, I really wished for an option to turn off some of the monsters which deliberately hinder me when trying to concentrate and listen to an audio log or read notes. There is the safe mode, but you still get hit or have to endure noises. So I ventured into the internet to find a solution - and found none. What I've found is the *.hps map scripts instead, which are uncompiled and beautifully descriptive. Sitting down for two days removing code lines, I successfully erradicated all monster encounters that have bugged me.

As there is a safe mode, I think there is a demand for it by players who want to enjoy SOMA without those specific monster encounters. I will share these map scripts with you, so you don't need to do it yourself. I provided a backup of the original map scripts in case something happens. Please read the installation instructions below if you decide to use the edited files.

Be wary that I use the GOG.com version of the game (patched to version number 1.510 as of now), so I can't guarantee what can happen should you use them on a different version. Make a backup of your current SOMA map script files and try for yourself, I suggest.

Please don't load a savegame of a map you replaced the script file for as no one can be sure what could go wrong. From my testing experience coming encounters will not trigger, but already triggered encounters will stay and because I edited the script files the monsters could not despawn properly. So, please do us two a favor and start a new game or load a savegame on a map without removed encounters.

Notice that on some encounters I had to remove sound noises and changes to music which usually happen in scripted sequences when you get introduced to a new monster type. Apart from these changes the scripts are identical to the originals.

Opinion after replaying
------------------------

So I played SOMA thrice now. Once with monsters in normal mode, once loading saves to test changes frequently, and once without monsters in normal mode. The ambience inside Pathos II still works well enough and because I did not remove anything besides the encounters where monsters are able to kill you when patrolling an area, you will still be aware of their presence.

Being short, you can enjoy a less monster infested PATHOS-II now and don't need to worry about getting hit or killed exploring and investigating. Happy New Year 2019!

Installation
-------------

- Extract files from zipped folder.
- Copy the maps folder from \Edited\ to your SOMA installation directory.
- Overwrite all files when asked.

Uninstallation
---------------

- Copy the maps folder from \Backup\ to your SOMA installation directory.
- Overwrite all files when asked.

Features - minor spoilers about monster encounters ahead!
---------

Spoiler below!

Site Upsilon

- Did not touch the encounter with the Construct in the omnitool room. It hits you once and runs away so you don't have to worry about dying.
- Removed the encounter with the Construct in the generator room. You can now walk around peacefully after falling down.
- Removed the encounter with the Construct in the hub room after you shut down power in flow control.

Outside Site Upsilon

- Removed the encounter with the first scavenger robot.
- Removed the encounter with the second scavenger robot near the red glowing monolith.

Site Lambda

- Did not touch the encounter with the flesher inside Lambda. You only need to hide from it once and it is an integral part of the narrative.

MS Curie

- Removed the encounter with the scavenger robot near the entrance.
- Removed the encounters with the flesher from the first and second floor. You can now walk around all floors of the Curie without worrying about it.
- Did not touch the encounter after you pull out the WAU plugs so you still need to run and escape the flesher after that.

Site Theta

- Removed the encounter with the Proxy inside the server room.
- Removed the encounter with Akers patrolling around the corridors. He won't appear regardless of what you do now.
- Did not touch the encounter where Akers appears when you enter the elevator. He can still kill you if you don't push buttons.
- Removed the encounters with Proxies patrolling the corridors.
- Did not touch the encounter where Akers appears when you flush the water. He can still kill you if you run at him with open arms.

Site Omicron

- Removed the encounter with the first Robot Head in the power room.
- Removed the encounter with the second Robot Head in the medical bay.
- Did not touch the encounter with the Robot Head when you are halfway through the tunnel. It will still kill you if you don't run.

On the way to Site Tau

- Removed the encounter with the Anglerfish.

Site Tau

- Removed the encounter with the Deep Sea Diver patrolling the corridors.

On the way to Site Phi

- Did not touch the encounter with the Leviathan.

Updates
--------

- Added customizable Mod Launcher version. If you feel like customizing the experience to your own liking. Installation instructions included in readme.txt.

- Added Mod Launcher version. Installation instructions included in readme.txt.

Credits
--------

To SOMA's dev team - thank you very much for making this game! It was unnerving walking through Pathos-II.

To GOG.com staff - for your generosity. I hope you continue to thrive!

I wish you and your families well for this year!

Download
 --------

.zip   MonsterEncountersRemoved.zip (Size: 788.69 KB / Downloads: 275)

.zip   MonsterEncountersRemoved_ModLauncher.zip (Size: 388.58 KB / Downloads: 247)

.zip   MonsterEncountersRemoved_ModLauncherCustom.zip (Size: 398.4 KB / Downloads: 243)
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 10:23 AM by Patrick.)
01-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Find
ced117 Offline

RE: Monster Encounters Removed

Hello Patrick,

Excellent work you did there, thank you for sharing :-)

And happy new year by the way !
01-01-2019, 11:23 AM
Website Find
Patrick Offline

- Edit: Didn't want to post a reply. Sorry!
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2019, 07:36 PM by Patrick.)
01-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

Why not packing this as an add-on to the game including the script files? It can be pretty tedious for some people to fiddle up with scripts and backups.

This forum is dead
01-09-2019, 07:09 AM
Find
Patrick Offline

Not sure what you mean by that. What's tedious about copy-pasting folders?

I didn't dive into the modding aspect of the game, so I'm not sure how to do that but I won't stop anybody from doing an add-on, as you suggest. Should be a matter of seconds for people who know how the mod system works.

If you care to take me through a quick process, I can release it as an add-on. Please send me a private message containing instructions.

- Edit: I looked into it. It wasn't that hard to figure out the file structure. Updated the post to include the mod launcher version. Thank you for pointing this out!
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 08:35 AM by Patrick.)
01-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Find