Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Minor Spoiler] Strange Light Blue/Cyan textures at the end game
Myk3423
Unregistered

Not Solved [Minor Spoiler] Strange Light Blue/Cyan textures at the end game
Hi all, 

I was just about to finish the game (after credits) and started getting these light blue square textures all over the ark. I found one other person over on reddit who also ran into this issue years ago but nothing ever came of it.

.jpg   Blue textures.jpg (Size: 100.93 KB / Downloads: 202)
https://www.reddit.com/r/soma/comments/5...yone_else/

Even after reloading, the light blue textures still remain, but are in slightly different areas. Occasionally, some dark blue and pink squares also appear. Some will go away when I walk close to them and reappear at a distance. Tried all kinds of graphic settings and nothing changed.

I don't think my GPU is artifacting since the temps were only 55 C and I'm not over clocking. Also did several benchmarks and no artifacts appeared. Also tried using different drivers and no dice. 

Interestingly, this part of the game only used less than 1GB worth of VRAM which I found odd.

[Specs]
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.2ghz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB @1266Mhz  
GPU Drivers: Tested from Adrenaline 18.9.3 to the latest.
Ram: 16GB DDR4 2400 single channel 
Motherboard: x370 (microATX)
PSU: 500watt
01-12-2019, 11:48 PM
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25
Not Solved RE: [Minor Spoiler] Strange Light Blue/Cyan textures at the end game
Are you sure the game is using your GPU?
Try to go to the control panel to see if there is an option to make the game use the GPU. I have a Nvidia card so I don't know if this option is available in amd cards as well

This forum is dead
01-13-2019, 06:39 AM
Find
Myk3423
Unregistered

(01-13-2019, 06:39 AM)TiManGames Wrote: Are you sure the game is using your GPU?
Try to go to the control panel to see if there is an option to make the game use the GPU. I have a Nvidia card so I don't know if this option is available in amd cards as well

I'm very confident it is using my GPU. Ryzen 1700 doesn't have integrated graphics and I don't have any other GPU's. Plus I had the MSI afterburner overlay to monitor my GPU temps to see if anything was wrong. The frequency was at 1266Mhz, which is what my GPU is rated for.
01-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Can you start the game, run into the issue, shut it down and then upload the hpl.log file from Documents\My Games\Soma\Main ?

01-14-2019, 05:51 PM
Find
Myk3423
Unregistered

(01-14-2019, 05:51 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Can you start the game, run into the issue, shut it down and then upload the hpl.log file from Documents\My Games\Soma\Main ?

There's two hpl's with one that says update. Sending both

hpl

.log   hpl.log (Size: 20.22 KB / Downloads: 202)
01-15-2019, 03:10 AM
Myk3423
Unregistered

(01-14-2019, 05:51 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Can you start the game, run into the issue, shut it down and then upload the hpl.log file from Documents\My Games\Soma\Main ?

never mind about the hpl_update, the forum doesn't seem to allow me to attach it.
01-15-2019, 03:13 AM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

This from the log might be relevant:

ERROR: Couldn't create material 'undergrowth/plants/grass/grass.mat'
ERROR: Couldn't load texture ''
WARNING: Sub mesh 'marker_waterfall' does not exist in mesh 'water_fx_05_02_stream.msh'!

Why it happens I don't know. Is it the water texture itself that is buggy or is it something in the water?
Can you try verifying the integrity of the game files in Steam?

01-15-2019, 01:28 PM
Find
Myk3423
Unregistered

(01-15-2019, 01:28 PM)Mudbill Wrote: This from the log might be relevant:

ERROR: Couldn't create material 'undergrowth/plants/grass/grass.mat'
ERROR: Couldn't load texture ''
WARNING: Sub mesh 'marker_waterfall' does not exist in mesh 'water_fx_05_02_stream.msh'!

Why it happens I don't know. Is it the water texture itself that is buggy or is it something in the water?
Can you try verifying the integrity of the game files in Steam?

I don't see anything wrong with the water. It's mostly on the ground, underneath shrubbery, and on the large rocks. I'm attaching some more screen shots so you can see.

Links here since each is over the 500kb limit
https://imgur.com/a/PM0jcNV

Also I just validated the files and steam said they were all good. I even tried deleting the textures folder and the ark map folder, then validating again to reinstall a fresh set. Same issue.

I also recently tried playing this game on a gaming laptop that also has both AMD graphics: R7 265M  and intel hd 5500. Using the up to date AMD drivers (19.1.1 as of 1/15/2019), the strange textures still persisted on the laptop as they were on my desktop. However when I used the intel HD 5500, the problem went away. 

This makes me believe this might be a driver issue on amd's end, but as stated on the original post, I have tested drivers all the way back to 18.9.3. If i have time I 'll try to test some older drivers.
01-16-2019, 05:26 AM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Very strange but yeah it doesn't seem to be a problem with the game files but rather something about the graphics drivers. Perhaps worth a shot to cleanly uninstall your drivers completely and then install a fresh set of those. I use Display Driver Uninstaller for that:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/dis...nload.html

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2019, 09:50 PM by Mudbill.)
01-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Find
Gloupsgloups Offline

Threads: 0
I have the exact same problem, I also have a similar hpl.log. I have a radeon hd 7950.

I played the game when it came out in september-october 2015. At that time, I didn't have this bug. But I did have it when I replayed the game 2 years ago. Clean driver reinstallation doesn't solve it.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2019, 06:23 PM by Gloupsgloups.)
02-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.