Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Editor Help Changing the material of an entity
SuspecM Offline

Threads: 1
Changing the material of an entity

So I was playing around in the model editor and found out that you can change or add a "submesh" for an entity (picture here https://imgur.com/a/YRjkxQx)
The only problem is that while it shows the chosen material on the model in the modeleditor, it resets to the default material of the model in-game and in the model test menu. Is there a way to change a model's material this way or is it just a waste or time?
09-12-2019, 04:30 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Changing the material of an entity

I'm not sure how you went ahead with this but there are some pitfalls that could affect the results. Personally I haven't used this particular feature much so I can't speak on its reliability, but I know that having multiple sets of files with the same names can cause the engine to load the wrong set which would make your edits not apply.

What I normally do when I want to change the material of a model file is that I open the .dae file (the model itself) with a text editor and search up "library_images" which is the section where external files are referenced. There should be an "init_from" pointing to the texture file that the model uses, for example "servant_grunt.dds". If you change this name to something else, the model will use another material, because the material it uses is based on the texture file name, for example "servant_grunt.mat".

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2019, 03:42 PM by Mudbill.)
09-14-2019, 03:40 PM
Find
SuspecM Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Changing the material of an entity

(09-14-2019, 03:40 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I'm not sure how you went ahead with this but there are some pitfalls that could affect the results. Personally I haven't used this particular feature much so I can't speak on its reliability, but I know that having multiple sets of files with the same names can cause the engine to load the wrong set which would make your edits not apply.

What I normally do when I want to change the material of a model file is that I open the .dae file (the model itself) with a text editor and search up "library_images" which is the section where external files are referenced. There should be an "init_from" pointing to the texture file that the model uses, for example "servant_grunt.dds". If you change this name to something else, the model will use another material, because the material it uses is based on the texture file name, for example "servant_grunt.mat".

May I ask what kind of text editor did you use? I tried it with Notepad++ but all I got was gibberish on any .dds file I tried.
09-14-2019, 07:33 PM
Find