Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Inferno (WIP) (Looking for a modeler)
Dark88 Offline

Threads: 6
Inferno (WIP) (Looking for a modeler)

So I've never done any sort of mod or level design before but messing around with Amnesia tools I've decided to try it out.

I'm going to release a Demo so to speak of my story which I have planned. This is very much a WIP so I still need to add a few sound effects, music, possibly voice overs(undecided for the moment), and a few scripting issues(Particularly door messages showing up saying door is locked after unlocking if the player hadn't interacted with it yet).

I just wanted to know what you all think so far. Receive a bit of constructive criticism.

I appreciate any feedback.

Edit:Relocated some info to first post for easier finding (i.e. story)

Story Idea:
This is if anyone wants to know what it's about some of it I'd prefer if it was discovered through playing but I've tried to keep it vague enough to not outright give the plot away.
Spoiler below!
The time period the Asylum is in is 1914 near the Galicia region just before the Russians push early in WWI before they were forced back by the Germans later on and the Eastern Front finally stagnated like the Western Front already had. Mostly, that's not entirely important, other than kind of establishing time line and why no one seems to be around because they had to evacuate. At the same time something else is also happening at this 'Asylum' involving Operation Inferno. Meanwhile the player is from or thinks he's from the future where he was in a passenger airline crash insinuating this situation he's in may or may not be real. I.E. he may be dead and this is his inferno(or hell) or he's in a coma and this is the world he's experiencing in the coma or an even further possibility is he entered some crazy wormhole which initially caused the plane crash and transported him to 1914. What may or may not be happening obviously left to be revealed as one further explores the Asylum. (There is an issue with the very first note that I realized too late that is a byproduct of originally being set much earlier before the advent of flight but I got an idea on how to kind of rectify that by changing a few words in the note.)

Download Links:
Inferno(WIP)
Alernate site

A few screenshots:
Spoiler below!
[Image: amnesia2010121015363859.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: amnesia2010121015351762.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: amnesia2010121015345222.jpg]

Help Wanted: Someone good with the model editor. As of the moment only need a smaller less disturbing fountain than one provided.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2010, 01:18 AM by Dark88.)
12-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Find
waqas12346 Offline

Threads: 38
RE: Inferno (WIP) My first mod ever

give a new link on mediafire or something plz
12-11-2010, 02:49 AM
Website Find
Tenacious Offline

There are some MAJOR issues you need to address:

1. Almost every room has more than enough lights. Your supposed to use lighting to your advantage, not flood a room full of it.
  2. You used ALOT of empty scares. I would find myself turning around gasping at thin air.
  3. Most events are triggered by picking up an item. Instead of triggering an event on item pick-up, vary it with some area triggers. I found myself preparing for an event everytime I picked up a key - not a very good tactic since you want to catch players off guard.
  4. There were more than enough level errors to fill a good page or two. I've seen walls glitching with other walls, and cracks in the floor which allowed me to see into the bottomless world. Also you may want to check out the room with no lights in it what-so-ever - the light from one room bleeds into it through the wall.
  5. The storyline confuses me. Is this during WWI or some other war? You may want to change it up a bit.
  6. I lagged like crazy on certain parts of the map, particulary at the fountain in the middle of the room. That reminds me, why would you place a fountain in the middle of a room?
  7. The monster scares were drawn out. I liked the first one after I entered that dark room, but it just got annoying from there on. In total there were four monster chases with three of them doing nothing but chasing you and disappearing.

I can go on, but seeing as this is a WIP, I don't want to judge it to it's fullest extent. Keep working on it - I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.
12-11-2010, 05:30 AM
Find
Dark88 Offline

(12-11-2010, 05:30 AM)Tenacious Wrote: There are some MAJOR issues you need to address:

1. Almost every room has more than enough lights. Your supposed to use lighting to your advantage, not flood a room full of it.
  2. You used ALOT of empty scares. I would find myself turning around gasping at thin air.
  3. Most events are triggered by picking up an item. Instead of triggering an event on item pick-up, vary it with some area triggers. I found myself preparing for an event everytime I picked up a key - not a very good tactic since you want to catch players off guard.
  4. There were more than enough level errors to fill a good page or two. I've seen walls glitching with other walls, and cracks in the floor which allowed me to see into the bottomless world. Also you may want to check out the room with no lights in it what-so-ever - the light from one room bleeds into it through the wall.
  5. The storyline confuses me. Is this during WWI or some other war? You may want to change it up a bit.
  6. I lagged like crazy on certain parts of the map, particulary at the fountain in the middle of the room. That reminds me, why would you place a fountain in the middle of a room?
  7. The monster scares were drawn out. I liked the first one after I entered that dark room, but it just got annoying from there on. In total there were four monster chases with three of them doing nothing but chasing you and disappearing.

I can go on, but seeing as this is a WIP, I don't want to judge it to it's fullest extent. Keep working on it - I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

Yeah, it was my first map so I figured there would be some issues.

1. The lights I kinda knew were a bit overdone I had actually already thinking about redoing them I'm just trying to figure how to use them correctly.
  2. I think one of them I meant to delete and had originally just been me testing the look at function were you first walk into patient room 2. I thought about removing it but kept putting it off. I'm not sure which of the others you might be talking about.
  3. I'll try to find a way to vary it a bit more, I have some ideas for the other maps which don't rely on picking up items.
  4. Level Errors... Yeah that I kinda knew was going to be an issue I didn't think it was as bad as it really was but looking a lot closer I can see them and I'll definitely be overhauling the map a bit as far as wall glitches and such.
  5. The storyline is kind of two sided which I fear may not be able to be fully established in only the first map. I shall briefly go into a little more info on the storyline below after I acknowledge the rest of your points.
  6. The fountain, yeah I thought it might be a bit convoluted but it provided a source of water. I justified it in my head as that room is kind of a group patient area and the fountain is just kind of there to provide a separation for two groups on either side. I do kind of think its too big and the childsnake head thing definitely doesn't belong in an area meant to help the mentally insane. Maybe if someone could help me model something a bit more sensible to take that spot and still provide a source of water or something. I definitely am up for suggestions on that particular area of the room. Something smaller could help with your lagging up there too.
  7. The 2nd and third one were supposed to be the same one I think my extremely noobish scripting skills might have messed that up though as I attempted to take a shortcut to fix what I couldn't get to work the way I originally envisioned.

Now for a bit of the story background this may not actually need spoiler tags as it's not like it reveals that much that I wasn't already trying to convey but I'm going to use them anyways.
Spoiler below!
The time period the Asylum is in is 1914 near the Galicia region just before the Russians push early in WWI before they were forced back by the Germans later on and the Eastern Front finally stagnated like the Western Front already had. Mostly, that's not entirely important, other than kind of establishing time line and why no one seems to be around because they had to evacuate. At the same time something else is also happening at this 'Asylum' involving Operation Inferno. Meanwhile the player is from or thinks he's from the future where he was in a passenger airline crash insinuating this situation he's in may or may not be real. I.E. he may be dead and this is his inferno(or hell) or he's in a coma and this is the world he's experiencing in the coma or an even further possibility is he entered some crazy wormhole which initially caused the plane crash and transported him to 1914. What may or may not be happening obviously left to be revealed as one further explores the Asylum. (There is an issue with the very first note that I realized too late that is a byproduct of originally being set much earlier before the advent of flight but I got an idea on how to kind of rectify that by changing a few words in the note.)
Hopefully that clears a little bit up as far as storyline but if not I'm up for listening to ideas.

I do appreciate the feedback, that's why I put it up was curious to hear what people thought so far at this stage and help find any issues I definitely need to work on.
(12-11-2010, 02:49 AM)waqas12346 Wrote: give a new link on mediafire or something plz

I've added it to the first post for you and anyone else who may need an alt download site I forgot not everyone can use megaupload.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2010, 08:23 AM by Dark88.)
12-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Find
Dark Knight Offline

Threads: 5

ok then, how to get to the kitchen?

where's god damn key? i have only bucket in inventory..
12-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Find
Dark88 Offline

(12-11-2010, 10:46 PM)Dark Knight Wrote: ok then, how to get to the kitchen?

where's god damn key? i have only bucket in inventory..

The note in the office pertains to the location of the key. It also gives you a memento when you pick the note up about what you need to do. If you still can't figure it out which is alright I guess it would take me awhile too if I hadn't made it myself.
Spoiler below!
It's in the fire you have to use the bucket to get water from the fountain and douse the fire to get to the key.
If you have a suggestion as to how to make it easier to figure out, I'm open to hear it.
12-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Find
Dark Knight Offline

Threads: 5

Dark88
thanks,
Spoiler below!
heh, that trick with water was nice.
the endins - superb!
12-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Find
Dark88 Offline

(12-14-2010, 10:36 PM)Dark Knight Wrote: Dark88
thanks,
Spoiler below!
heh, that trick with water was nice.
the endins - superb!

Thanks, man. Glad to hear it.

The following list are the things I'm most likely going to change in this map for when I release the next update which will have the first 3 maps of this project maybe more depends on how quickly I can make the maps. I include spoiler tags cause some of it that I may be dropping would be given away events to people who haven't played the map.
Spoiler below!

1. The map has already recieved an overhaul for found graphical errors
  2. Change the headless corpse trigger and add a voice that plays during the scare
  3. Remove the LookAt event when you walk into patient room 2
  4. Remove the second monster event leaving only the initial hallucination attack and the final double team attack
  5. Change fountain to a fountain less... over the top I guess would be a way to put it
  6. Some custom ambient and chase music provided by my roommate

Is there anyone good at the model editor? I'm hoping someone can help me with maybe providing a less disturbing and smaller fountain to replace the oversized one provided by Frictional. I tried to mess with the model editor but turns out I have no clue what I'm doing.
12-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Find
waqas12346 Offline

Threads: 38
RE: Inferno (WIP) (Looking for a modeler)

Hey thanks for the story Smile. I recorded your story and has been uploaded on youtube Big Grin THANKS AGAIN Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXVWOgtxpZc PART 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vul-mnzN1XA PART 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ6C2ljjw2A PART 3

THANKS FOR WATCHING

☆┌─┐─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘Rate
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘Comment

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
╔═╦╗╔═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║═╣═║╚╣═╣
║╔╣╚╣═╣║╠╗║═╣
╚╝╚═╩═╩╩╩═╩═╝
╔═╦╗╔╦╗╔═╦═╦╦╦╦╗╔═╗
║╚╣║║║╚╣╚╣╔╣╔╣║╚╣═╣
╠╗║╚╝║║╠╗║╚╣║║║║║═╣
╚═╩══╩═╩═╩═╩╝╚╩═╩═╝
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 06:36 PM by waqas12346.)
12-15-2010, 05:15 AM
Website Find
Pistachio Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Inferno (WIP) (Looking for a modeler)

I liked a lot this story. There's just some issues wrong with it, tenacious pointed some (although i think the bright atmostphere is not bad, actually gives some variety from all the dark dark dark gameplay, but keeping the atmosphere of insecurity, and the "cheap scares" contribute to make the ambience of insanity, i won't even call it scares).
Aaand the first "imaginary" monster killed me. It's a bit weird that the main character asks himself if it was real when he has been stabbed to death lol

I loved the ending of the two brutes ambushing you, gives you that "oh shit shit RUUUUN there's the exit!!" feeling i love.

Also beeing an asylum patient contributes to the insanity atmosphere.

In a nutshell, i'm liking this story quite a lot, but needs some tweaking.Big Grin
01-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Find