Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

i am creating a game similar to this.
maxdelphi Offline

Threads: 2
RE: i am creating a game similar to this.

thanks, but I'm just looking for a mathematical formula.

For example:

P = M * G.

Weight = mass per gravity.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2010, 03:28 AM by maxdelphi.)
12-23-2010, 03:27 AM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

Well it would not be just a formula, there would be a function call to add force to the object...there's not much math involved
12-23-2010, 04:08 AM
Website Find
matches81 Offline

Threads: 0

@Spooder Wekd:
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but to me your first post seemed more like "you don't know that so you shouldn't be making games".
I agree with everything you said in your second post, though, except that I still think using a third-party engine is the only way a lot of people will actually finish a game. Although I wouldn't say "never write your own engine when there's so many good free ones around" (I heard that quite a few times, though), I'd still advise people looking to make games to have a good look at their options.

@maxdelphi:
If you have a physics engine running in the background, the only thing you need to figure out is how much force you need to apply to an object to get the desired throw range. There shouldn't be a formula involved, the physics engine should take care of that for you.
The simplest way to get that "throwing force": Trial & error. Just pop in a few rough values until you get to a point that seems reasonable to you, then tweak it.
12-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

(12-23-2010, 04:56 PM)matches81 Wrote: @Spooder Wekd:
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but to me your first post seemed more like "you don't know that so you shouldn't be making games".
I agree with everything you said in your second post, though, except that I still think using a third-party engine is the only way a lot of people will actually finish a game. Although I wouldn't say "never write your own engine when there's so many good free ones around" (I heard that quite a few times, though), I'd still advise people looking to make games to have a good look at their options.

It's all good. the reason I encourage writing your own engine is because I don't like dealing with other programmer's code. It is often hard to figure out how an engine works. Hence this thread even existing. If he had made his own engine he would know everything it can do, and there would be no unnecessary bloat caused by unused features. Also, engines can make games feel generic, because people use the shallow and easily accessible features to make games that feel more like mods than actual games. This is a problem with the over used UDK on indieDB...Sorry if I repeated a lot from my first post, I didn't go back and re-read it to see what I actually said! Tongue
12-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Website Find