Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh HLP3 engine, how I long for thee
DIGI Byte Offline

Threads: 20
Oh HLP3 engine, how I long for thee

one thing I love about the HLP2 tools... is I can export straight from my native 3D program and straight into the editor...

none of this converting hassle that many games need

I've been looking around and well... I cant wait to see a list of things they want to add to the HLP3 engine

because, we can do a fair amount at the moment... but there's so much we cant do yet... the last thing to dabble my mind was...
[Image: image.axd?picture=2010%2f6%2f3d-max-mode...venton.jpg]
"I really wanna drive that around in a game engine ready at my disposal" but amnesia doesn't support that

I'm ok with the HLP2 engine... and I don't expect to have a vehicle pod in it
(that's when the player can join with an entity simular to the rail cage in half-life 2) let alone a drivable vehicle

realistically though... I'm hungering for those lil features that I cant find...

like ingame player interaction devices... eg computer screens, key pads where you have to manually press the keys to unlock doors
and what about inventory or player powers?

---------------
One issue in my custom story that I've thought about... is how am I going to make weapons?

each quest has its own evil... and thus requires some way of expelling that evil... so I was wondering how would I make the player... use a spell or magical device to destroy things by shooting it?

Its not often you get to run around with a voodoo doll that has magic powers to close portals when you point and click...
or using a magic dust pouch to expel a dangerous ghost walking around...

what are you going to do? drag the pouch icon out from your inventory and drag and drop it on the monster whiles it chasing you?
a lil silly... don't you think?
12-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Find
Akumasama Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Oh HLP3 engine, how I long for thee

The engine wasn't made to be able to handle weapons.
Thus, it doesn't support them.
12-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

(12-19-2010, 08:17 PM)Akumasama Wrote: The engine wasn't made to be able to handle weapons.
Thus, it doesn't support them.
I... don't know... no-ones tried...

personally, what I would do is try and copy the grunts attack, like the collision detection box and then set up a trigger on click, if collide with then 'this' else 'nothing'
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2010, 08:28 PM by DIGI Byte.)
12-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Find
Akumasama Offline

Threads: 2

Go ahead I geuss, but don't get your expectations too high Wink
12-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

I have a theory... it would be a hack... and well i need someone who is familiar with the code to guide me, but its do-able
12-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I know a while back I asked the developers about weapons and Thomas said he could make some weapon code, but he never said if he actually did.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
12-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Website Find
DIGI Byte Offline

well... there IS an alternative... the Dev's could release an patch/addon that adds new features to custom story developers that want alil more then just pick up and throw items and puzzles

Like me, I want some sort of interactive GUI interface, even if its basic HTML scripted that can use and call scripts, so we can use keypads in game or make working computers or guns, even if its a simple collision detection check with script
12-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Find