Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Story release format suggestions
Sel Offline

Threads: 10
Thumbs Up  Story release format suggestions

I'm a little concerned with the story release threads, and how they lack what most would probably consider to be very important components. So just gonna throw this out here I guess.

1)Pictures speak louder than words.

I'm really surprised by how many people are posting their stories for download, and not including these. Sure Amnesia is a barely lit game most of the time, but most good map is going to have a fair bit of interplay between light and darkness, so it's hardly impossible to find a few nice shots of your levels right?

Chances are you're not going to spark as much interest in your map with paragraph upon paragraph of story or whatever, because for the most part, people won't even bother to read it. (Have you ever been attracted to a moddb mod page by a wall of text with no pictures? Probably not)

2)Hosting

A few of the threads I've skimmed have posted links to various download sites, and immediately get followed up by someone asking them to upload elsewhere (usually mediafire)

There's a far better hosting solution though.

Far more convenient, and generally has far better download speeds than most hosting sites.

3) Summaries

Keep these short, most of your story should be told by your map, not on your forum post.

I know these are only suggestions, but it can't really hurt to put them in practice right? It'd take a lot of the trial and error out of finding reasonably good stories. (and make me personally more interested in giving your maps a go in an effort to provide feedback.)
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2010, 09:41 PM by Sel.)
12-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Find
Tenacious Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Story release format suggestions

I agree with you 100%, these are some basic guidelines everyone should follow.
12-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Bump, this should be pinned.

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
01-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Find
Sel Offline

I agree, it would be nice to see something besides here is my custom story plz play guysss !!!
01-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Find
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9

All very true, allthough I find Mediafire pretty decent. Smile
01-31-2011, 11:16 PM
Find
theDARKW0LF Offline

Threads: 17

/Agree with Sel's post.

btw, is that the director from Bloody Good Time as your avatar?

Check out my custom stories(1)(2)!
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2011, 08:11 AM by theDARKW0LF.)
02-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Find
thesnake Offline

Threads: 1

4. Organize your custom story.

I've seen this 1,000 times where someone puts out a demo of a custom story...runs out of downloads because its a bad hosting site, re-uploads later in the thread, and then uploads to many other sites in different pages in the thread instead of simply editing the first post with other download links. Then it gets even more confusing when the thread title isn't updated and the custom story creator is finished and adds a new link all the way at the end of the thread instead of editing the first post with the download link. Not many people are going to scroll through 1-21 pages just to see where the latest demo or final download is.

So basically just edit your first post and update your thread name on the progress of your custom story. Or create a new thread with the finished product aside from a demo.
02-05-2011, 04:58 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

As another suggestion, why no one sends their mod to ModDB while there are lots of WIPs in this forum.
I think guys at ModDB look down Amnesia as a modifiable game. I'd like to see all of the mods there when I click the link.

And why the heck Wake and Balthasar's Sorrow are in the Addons section instead of Mods section?

02-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Website Find
Sel Offline

The term mod is kinda broad, it depends entirely on each game really, addons usually refer to maps, and assets. However in Amnesia's case, just like halo, and several other games, any stories/maps/whatever you make for it can fit under both.
02-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Find