Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long does it take you to design a story?
SpiritSharD Offline

Threads: 3
How long does it take you to design a story?

So after having begun my custom story, I've spent less and less time designing the levels. It's the same whenever I start doing anything creative; I'll work on it for hours at the start, but gradually spend less time until I eventually stop half-way through the project. A lack of motivation is what it comes down to, I think.

But I was interested in knowing; how long does it take you to design your custom story? What about each of the separate aspects of the design (scripting, maps, models)?

To compare; I'm currently finishing off work on my second map. I've done no scripting or models (don't plan on doing the latter either). I started my project on the 20th December.
01-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10
RE: How long does it take you to design a story?

Most good complete projects take several months to a year or more, with motivation over that period wavering up and down, there's no average time, and you should take however long it takes to make something good, without throwing down a deadline for when it must be finished. If you do, you end up like the games industry with the few studios trying to make creative and innovative titles (Fucked).

Take as long as you need.
01-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Find
ThePaSch Offline

Threads: 11

(01-05-2011, 10:34 PM)SpiritSharD Wrote: It's the same whenever I start doing anything creative; I'll work on it for hours at the start, but gradually spend less time until I eventually stop half-way through the project. A lack of motivation is what it comes down to, I think.
I know it. It's even more horror than Amnesia.
For my custom story, I have created some sort of organization timeline. Whenever I can, I work one hour a day on it, usually from 4 PM to 5 PM. Then, if I catch myself thinking "aw, come on, I don't want to, it's not like I'm paid to do it and I would rather do something else right now", I add another hour to the next day. 2 Hours were the maximum I stacked up, so it works quite well. Big Grin
However, right now it's on a hiatus. Lots of stuff to do in good 'ol Real Life.
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Find
Goldennova Offline

(01-06-2011, 12:43 PM)ThePaSch Wrote:
(01-05-2011, 10:34 PM)SpiritSharD Wrote: It's the same whenever I start doing anything creative; I'll work on it for hours at the start, but gradually spend less time until I eventually stop half-way through the project. A lack of motivation is what it comes down to, I think.
I know it. It's even more horror than Amnesia.
For my custom story, I have created some sort of organization timeline. Whenever I can, I work one hour a day on it, usually from 4 PM to 5 PM. Then, if I catch myself thinking "aw, come on, I don't want to, it's not like I'm paid to do it and I would rather do something else right now", I add another hour to the next day. 2 Hours were the maximum I stacked up, so it works quite well. Big Grin
However, right now it's on a hiatus. Lots of stuff to do in good 'ol Real Life.

Nice, I saw your post on the steam forums by the way. I added "On HIatus" to your story Smile
01-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Find
SpiritSharD Offline

(01-05-2011, 11:24 PM)Sel Wrote: Most good complete projects take several months to a year or more, with motivation over that period wavering up and down, there's no average time, and you should take however long it takes to make something good, without throwing down a deadline for when it must be finished. If you do, you end up like the games industry with the few studios trying to make creative and innovative titles (Fucked).

I agree with you, however in my case I'm not making a "complete" project...a few levels, (planned) scripted events and a basic story; that's pretty much it.

If I was using/making other resources, or designing models or new textures, then I can see why it would take several months. However, with what I'm doing, I can't help but think I'm progressing rather slowly for what it is. It's partly why I posted this thread, to get an insight as to how long I should be looking at continuing this project. As it's my first, I don't expect it to be well-received by the community, but I'm certainly taking my time designing the maps in the hope people enjoy it, unlike some mods I download for games where they're riddled with issues (excessive z-fighting, for example).
01-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

(01-07-2011, 02:40 PM)SpiritSharD Wrote:
(01-05-2011, 11:24 PM)Sel Wrote: Most good complete projects take several months to a year or more, with motivation over that period wavering up and down, there's no average time, and you should take however long it takes to make something good, without throwing down a deadline for when it must be finished. If you do, you end up like the games industry with the few studios trying to make creative and innovative titles (Fucked).

I agree with you, however in my case I'm not making a "complete" project...a few levels, (planned) scripted events and a basic story; that's pretty much it.

If I was using/making other resources, or designing models or new textures, then I can see why it would take several months. However, with what I'm doing, I can't help but think I'm progressing rather slowly for what it is. It's partly why I posted this thread, to get an insight as to how long I should be looking at continuing this project. As it's my first, I don't expect it to be well-received by the community, but I'm certainly taking my time designing the maps in the hope people enjoy it, unlike some mods I download for games where they're riddled with issues (excessive z-fighting, for example).

Yeah, more or less. The point was take as much time as you need to make it good, and don't think about releasing it until you're happy with it.

If you make something and you don't like it, no one will think less of you if you don't release it. Just keep going until you're happy with it more or less.

As for the community, I've seen some absolutely terrible stories be well received, so the community is pretty forgiving in that regard, though you kinda miss out on the actual feedback that might be helpful.
01-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Find