Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Constructive Feedback on Amensia
Smith14 Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Constructive Feedback on Amensia

(01-08-2011, 12:55 AM)thedaemon Wrote: 3.5) More emphasis on open-world exploration/backtracking It would of been great to have the ability to backtrack to the entrance hall, backhall, prison, ect., and have the opportunity to find new puzzles and tasks as events in the game progressed. A non-linear or less linear experience would of been great. And it would add plenty of optional hours back into the title.

I think this would have killed the game personally. I didn't come to play Amnesia so I could run around the entire building anytime I wanted and was free to roam around the country side kicking turtles, I came to play a controlled scary game that doesn't allow too much freedom. Freedom is less scary, being stuck in a room with a monster is.

I disagree, the linear experience made it feel like a horror ride on rails. I think the option to free roaming previously "safe" tutorial sections (like the entrance/back hall hubs) doing optional puzzles and controlling how about completing them would put the player more in control. Trust me, some of us would be too scared to even go back Wink

And the word "optional" is key. It is obvious frictional gaming was targeting a casual gamer, but having difficulty options for hardcore players, and even casual players who can't get enough and want to take their game to the next level; would make for a fantastic edition! The ability of revisiting areas and completing more difficult and complex optional puzzles (along with the possibility of more scares) would do nothing but add to an already great game!

But again, my two fundamental criticism are my main concerns for future titles. Amnesia is an incredibly great and innovative game. Primarily focusing on providing a slow-burning, atmospheric horror ride with a constantly unfolding story. All of this, along with more freedom, difficulty options and more complex puzzle solving, would make for a fun bonus Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011, 02:26 AM by Smith14.)
01-08-2011, 02:24 AM
Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4

I don't like the idea of optional stuff... why does a linear experience is bad? I mean, you're not exploring the castle, that's not your point, your point is to go to inner sanctum and kill alexander, try to discover about your past and the shadow. The player shouldn't stay messing around in the castle.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011, 02:44 AM by kailip.)
01-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

(01-06-2011, 09:56 PM)Shev Wrote: ~*Dumb memes*~

As hilarious as 4chan idiocy is (not at all) it'd be great if you could refrain from posting it, and instead try to make something that resembles a thought out post!
01-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Find
Xanthara Offline

Threads: 2

I don't like the idea of thorough exploration and backtracking unless it's for a task. As others have stated, a major factor of horror is the concept that the player cannot control where they can go all the time.

Tight, constricting hallways and a select amount of rooms are almost perfect to create the horror scenario. Allowing the player to roam freely collapses the dread they once felt at the beginning. I'm not saying disregard exploration entirely, but it should be given in moderation. I love to get the feel of the environment and back story for any game, but and excessive amount destroys what the game's goal is, you know? A game like this needs to make the player feel helpless.

Hmm... A common suggestion, I'm sure: Obvious monster triggers are a turn-off. They're scary, but after a while it's like, "kk, I won't grab Mission Object XYZ until I build a fort out of a crates. I'll be ready!" Randomize monsters a bit. It spices up the fear. <3 I like the idea of accidentally walking into a hallway which has a wandering/patrolling creature.

And maybe more monster types? I'm sure Alexander had female servants, too. Undecided Sometimes I wondered if it was just 1-2 monsters through the whole game following me (1 gatherer, and the 1 brute). It'd be more plausible to NOT see copy-paste monsters everywhere.

Yep. Heart Amnesia is awesome, though. No doubt about that. one of my favorite games ever, for realz.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2011, 12:45 AM by Xanthara.)
01-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

(01-08-2011, 02:42 AM)Sel Wrote:

As hilarious as 4chan idiocy is (not at all) it'd be great if you could refrain from posting it, and instead try to make something that resembles a thought out post!

U mad?

Seriously though, at least I used it in the right context instead of one of those idiots that spams them everywhere and not even knowing what they mean at all.

i spam meme 4 raeg
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2011, 10:50 AM by Shev.)
01-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Find
Oscar House Offline

Threads: 3

(01-10-2011, 10:43 AM)Shev Wrote: U mad?

Zing, dude. Zing. Dodgy

I think "the death penalty" should have been tweaked some way. I'd rather try those chase scenes more than once before the game decides to throw the monster away!

[Image: 2exldzm.png]
01-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

(01-10-2011, 10:43 AM)Shev Wrote:

U mad?

Seriously though, at least I used it in the right context instead of one of those idiots that spams them everywhere and not even knowing what they mean at all.

A dumb joke used in the right context is still a dumb joke.
01-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

(01-10-2011, 04:25 PM)Sel Wrote:
(01-10-2011, 10:43 AM)Shev Wrote:

U mad?

A dumb joke used in the right context is still a dumb joke.

I don't think its dumb.

i spam meme 4 raeg
01-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Find
tickldkfiifo Offline

Threads: 1

Hopefully, they can make an immersion based game that isn't horror.
I hope they do something different.
01-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6

Concerning the problem of dying in the game removing some of the tension:

I think a bigger point should have been made that repeatedly failing a certain point would shuffle the triggers in that area. If this is too much work to code, remember the important part is the fear of the encounter so even if you tell the player something is going to happen when it won't it will still negate any certainty they may have in future encounters. That is until they finish the game a few times and work out the mechanics, but by that time it's not important.

Secondly, the game has top rate phsyics and environment but I would welcome more scripted instances. Whether they be chase scenes or insanity type effects I think breaking the flow of the game now and then keeps it fresh. Like in crash bandicoot when you get to ride a polar bear, or the mech suit levels in F.E.A.R.

A break from the norm helps to cleanse the palate.

Also off topic. If you say "U mad?" you are doing it wrong. It is supposed to imply that a person is crazy or has anger issues, not as a question bait a response like half the internet users would believe.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2011, 07:40 PM by mattwestwick.)
01-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Find