Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Questions about this game's DRM or lack thereof
Deadlybot Offline

Threads: 2
Questions about this game's DRM or lack thereof

I'm new to this forum so hi everyone. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I didn't think this was a technical issue so here it goes.

I distrust digital distribution services and games with online activations, so I'd prefer not to have to use steam to play this game but to buy it directly from Frictional games, I would assume that doing it that way there's no middleman and they would get all the money, is that the case or do I have to use steam?

If that's not the case does the game come with the kind of DRM I'm trying to avoid? If so which kind?

Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011, 06:19 PM by Deadlybot.)
01-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Questions about this game's DRM or lack thereof

Do you have to use Steam? What makes you think that?
You just need to enter your serial, which is given where you login to shelf to download, to play the game. Once and for all. Frictional is really busy on making a really good game that they cannot bother with some sort of ubisoftish drm's.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2011, 06:33 PM by Tanshaydar.)
01-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Website Find
Deadlybot Offline

(01-08-2011, 06:33 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Do you have to use Steam? What makes you think that?
You just need to enter your serial, which is given where you login to shelf to download, to play the game. Once and for all. Frictional is really busy on making a really good game that they cannot bother with some sort of ubisoftish drm's.

What made me think that is the fact that some other games will make you use steam even for boxed versions, if the serial is all I need than I'm more than happy with that and as long as Frictional games keeps it that way I will keep buying their great games, thank you for the reply.
01-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

If you buy directly from Frictional, I believe they get all of the money.

If you buy directly from Frictional, the only DRM you get is a serial key that you enter when you install, nothing else.

If you get it off of steam, I think Frictional gets around 40% profit or something and you need steam to play it.

01-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

(01-08-2011, 07:56 PM)xiphirx Wrote: If you get it off of steam, I think Frictional gets around 40% profit or something and you need steam to play it.

Source? I think nobody really knows how much Steam gets off a sale.

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
01-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

That's my opinion Tongue source is myself.

01-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

I think several people have publicly stated that Steam takes 30% of the sale and the developer takes 70%.
01-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

To be clear, this is not a steamworks game, you have the OPTION of activing your key from frictional on steam or buying from steam directly.

I imagine even the frictional store costs them money, isn't it another company providing the service?
01-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Find
Deadlybot Offline

(01-09-2011, 02:58 AM)Bek Wrote: To be clear, this is not a steamworks game, you have the OPTION of activing your key from frictional on steam or buying from steam directly.

I imagine even the frictional store costs them money, isn't it another company providing the service?

Wait a second a poster above just said I didn't have to use steam if I bought the game directly from this site, which one is it after all?
01-09-2011, 03:01 AM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

To put an end to all this confusion:

the key you get when buying in the Frictional Store can be either used to dl the PC, Mac & Linux versions from the Frictional Games website or use it as a Steam activation key.

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
01-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Find