Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Steam Amnesia) Amnesia Won't Start, Solutions Don't Work
Michael Valentine Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago (Steam Amnesia) Amnesia Won't Start, Solutions Don't Work

'Lo there gents. Smile

Straight to business. I recently purchased Amnesia from Steam about four weeks ago when I was staying at my friend's house. Was working perfectly fine there and I was enjoying it quite thoroughly. Got back to my house, installed it again on my computer. Went to launch it, only...it doesn't quite launch successfully (most of the time).

Basically, it opens the launcher, I start it from there, and it seems as if it's going to launch, however, it goes back to the desk top. My mouse pointer gets stuck at the top left corner of my screen, and I'm forced to end Amnesia via task manager.
The really odd thing is, it doesn't do this all the time. On some occasions, it'll launch successfully and I can play it perfectly fine with no problems whatsoever. Once I exit, however, and try to start it again...it will revert back to almost launching before going back to the desktop. So it seems to be strangely selective about playing.

I tried finding solutions online, and had a look at the trouble shooting thread found here. But I've tried mostly all of the solutions I could find, and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. My drivers are all up to date (though I did wipe them, then reinstalled them. No luck), I've tried running it with and without admin permissions. I've tried running it from Steamapps, tried running in various compatibility modes, tried a few solutions from various people online, etc. Still no difference.

Some of my specs are:
PC: HP
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 659 Processor (4 CPUs) 2.9GHz
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
System Memory: 12 GB
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Anyone have any ideas for me to try?

Thank you kindly.
01-17-2011, 01:33 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: (Steam Amnesia) Amnesia Won't Start, Solutions Don't Work

When it doesn't start up perfectly, can you alt-tab into the game?

01-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Find
Michael Valentine Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: (Steam Amnesia) Amnesia Won't Start, Solutions Don't Work

For a split second, I can, but then it'll revert back to the desktop again.
01-17-2011, 02:18 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Have you tried disabling the steam overlay?
01-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Website Find