Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intel Integrated Graphics - How to Pester Intel
Taikutsu Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Intel Integrated Graphics - How to Pester Intel

Users of Intel's Integrated Graphics cards, time for us to unite, and take a stand against Intel via the function known as: CUSTOMER SUPPORT.
If we can get a fairly large amount of people to report these issues to Intel there is a good chance they'll pick up the pace and actually try to fix this issue.

The process is quite long and annoying however hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

Please use formal language, spell as best as you can and use at least some form of grammar.

1.) First off, you will need to go to THIS website and fill in the following forms to the best of your knowledge.
**NOTES**
Please use a valid e-mail address, for the subsequent e-mails are the most important.
You are an End User.
If your Operating System does not appear on the list (*cough* Windows 7) please list it in the Additional Information section of the form.
This same rule applies to Manufacturer and RAM.
Please title the game as 'Amnesia, The Dark Descent'
If you are not sure what to write for the short description I myself used;
"Textures and visual features do not appear and leave a black screen in Amnesia, The Dark Descent. Game runs and loads correctly and menus appear and are functional."

2.) In the next few hours you will receive an automated e-mail with several links possibly related to the issues you face. At the bottom of the e-mail will be a button that says Escalate.
Once you click this button you'll be contacted by an actual human in the next few days.

Now once they contact you again they'll probably find more specific links to send to you. You may then directly reply to this e-mail.
Here you should name the game and if you feel necessary explain in detail what issues you are facing.
I myself simply opted to tell them that the game doesn't appear to work and would appreciate an inquiry into the issue.
Below is the e-mail I sent them.
Spoiler below!
Hello Allan,
Thank you for the quick reply.

The game I am having difficulty with (“Amnesia, The Dark Descent”) does not appear on the list you have supplied.
I have thoroughly checked the troubleshoot guides you have kindly supplied me with but have not found a description of the issues I have encountered.
If Intel is not aware of issues related to this game, I would like to suggest some form of inquiry into this game if possible.
On the game’s support forum it has been noted that all users of the Intel® HD Graphics have encountered a similar issue with the graphic display.
The game’s developers have commented that there is nothing on their end that can resolve the issue, and that it may have to be fixed through Intel updating their drivers.
Myself and many others would greatly appreciate it if Intel could look into the issue.

Thank you for your time and effort,

Brad.

I know this is a long and gruesome task but if we all rally together there is a good chance we can make a difference.
01-23-2011, 05:04 AM
Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Intel Integrated Graphics - How to Pester Intel

the devs could fix this topic Smile
01-23-2011, 05:30 AM
Find
Taikutsu Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Intel Integrated Graphics - How to Pester Intel

What do you mean by fix? o.O
Also if you do send a e-mail to Intel post here so we can see how many people we rally.
01-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4

Oh sorry, I mean put at the important topics.
01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

This isn't an important topic. Integrated cards are not meant to play games. Nothing intel can do is going to change that. They were created strictly to satisfy simple low end 2d graphics required by the OS and other applications.

I don't understand why the majority of this forum can not grasp this fact and make dozens of tech support threads about how Amnesia will not run on these.

Quote:Historically, integrated solutions were often considered unfit to play 3D games or run graphically intensive programs but could run less intensive programs such as Adobe Flash. Examples of such IGPs would be offerings from SiS and VIA circa 2004.[12] However, today's integrated solutions such as AMD's Radeon HD 3200 (AMD 780G chipset) and NVIDIA's GeForce 8200 (nForce 710|NVIDIA nForce 730a) are more than capable of handling 2D graphics from Adobe Flash or low stress 3D graphics.[13] However, most integrated graphics still struggle with high-end video games.

There is nothing wrong with Amnesia, or the intel GMAs, they're both doing exactly what they were meant to do.

Even if you did get it to run, the performance would probably be so poor that it wouldn't even be worth playing.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2011, 04:41 PM by Sel.)
01-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Find
Taikutsu Offline

That is horribly incorrect, have you seen the latest series of Intel HD Graphics?
They are capable of running most games minus the few extreme high end games.
The assumption that they would run Amnesia stems from the fact that they're perfectly capable of running just about everything else, but they never appear on the requirements list.

It may not be designed for high end gaming, but Amnesia is certainly no high end game.
In the worst case scenario it will run a game, but it will be too poor performance to play, but this only happens with high end games on the highest settings.
01-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

(01-24-2011, 01:54 AM)Taikutsu Wrote: That is horribly incorrect, have you seen the latest series of Intel HD Graphics?
They are capable of running most games minus the few extreme high end games.

Then this thread should be referring to the higher end ones that have been recently released and are "capable" of running Amnesia, and not the whole intel integrated chipset family.

Besides after skimming the wikipedia article this morning, there's maybe 3 in this series that have the "potential" to run amnesia with reasonable performance (on near lowest possible settings), and these are all only when paired with relatively high end chipsets and cpus (who buys an i7 processor and then sticks with integrated graphics, honestly?)

I stand by what I said, you should not be gaming on these, and even if these did run Amnesia, chances are you'd be ruining the experience for yourself.

(01-24-2011, 01:54 AM)Taikutsu Wrote: In the worst case scenario it will run a game, but it will be too poor performance to play, but this only happens with high end games on the highest settings.

That's funny, since I have a fair bit of experience with integrated graphics, recent, and otherwise, and I can vouch for all of them having lots of trouble running 3d games, on lowest settings, dating back about 6 or 7 years to the present.

For example, my tablet running an hd3200 runs amnesia, at about 10-20~ fps, on all low, and sometimes the game flips upside down! Your intel cards that exceed the performance of the hd3200 only do so with high end cpus/chipsets.

Fact is, if you get this to work, the performance will be poor, and only a few of the intel gmas will be capable of running the game in the first place.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2011, 05:17 AM by Sel.)
01-24-2011, 05:07 AM
Find
slewis7 Offline

Threads: 0

Taikutsu: Thanks very much for posting this topic. I will go through the process you suggest and I hope others here will do so as well. As for the negativity being posted here, the Amnesia developers have suggested that with betters drivers, the game should work on Intel HD Graphics (Penumbra did not work initially but runs now), so I really think it is worth the effort.

Smile
01-24-2011, 06:01 AM
Find
Taikutsu Offline

This thread essentially does apply to the latest brands of Integrated cards, I have yet to see someone in the tech support forum inquire about a brand other than 'Intel HD Graphics'
And I'm capable of running games such as, Left 4 Dead (2) with most settings at high without severe lag. I'm able to play GTA4, Assassins Creed 2 and Modern Warfare 2 with slight setting tweaking.
The majority of people here on this forum who have Intel cards have 'Intel HD Graphics' the latest version of their Integrated graphics which is commonly available on most Laptops as of recent.
And maybe we do have relatively good cpu's and such. I wouldn't know specifically because I'm not in the slightest technologically knowledgeable.

And slewis7, thanks for backing our cause Big Grin

Edit: And yes, I do agree we shouldn't be gaming on these, I, however, am on a tight budget. But the main point is; we can essentially game on these. Not at the highest settings all the time, but we can.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2011, 06:21 AM by Taikutsu.)
01-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Hey,
to show that there is hope for Intel integrated graphics chip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9klAxeQsHlQ

That's Amnesia running on integrated graphics using Linux, so it is definitely a driver problem for the Windows version. Hopefully this means that a Windows driver update for the newer Intel integrated graphics chips are not that far away.
01-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Website Find