Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Theory of the Shadow [SPOILERS.]
Lodestone Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Theory of the Shadow [SPOILERS.]

(02-04-2011, 08:02 AM)Zoridium JackL Wrote:
(02-04-2011, 03:27 AM)senataur Wrote:
(02-03-2011, 08:02 AM)Zoridium JackL Wrote: alexanders story was corroborated by someone else with no motive to lie, therefore it becomes validated.

who? whereabouts?

i dunno, but i do remember hearing something about a guy who took an orb and then the shadow came after him and it took it but wasn't killed, hence corroboration, and its not really something you lie about, especially without motive, on a piece of paper...

it might have been in the secret stuffs but it was somewhere and it validates the shadow.

That was Agrippa's discovery of the first Orb, which was in a cave outside Alstadt. He was chased by what he called the Guardian of the Orb, and then was teleported across the Alps to safety. But the Orb did not teleport with him. That Orb came into the possession of Alexander, then it shattered, and Daniel put it back together in order to get into the Inner Sanctum. Geez.

The story in the game is pretty weak in some aspects, and has holes. You can fill the holes with various theories. Pick one you like and go with it. Personally I would have preferred the developers to wrap up the loose ends; Lovecraft never left anything to this kind of interpretation, with Shadows having questionable motives or whatnot.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great things about the story. Alexander's method for extending his own life by torturing human beings was one of them. As we read about the scientific and practical way that Alexander approached the problem, it significantly added to the horror surrounding him.

For an example of where I think the story could've been better, it was written that Alexander wanted to be reunited with a lost love. It would've been nice to have had a bit more detail on that. And obviously the Shadow was weak.
02-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

(02-04-2011, 05:37 PM)Lodestone Wrote:
(02-04-2011, 08:02 AM)Zoridium JackL Wrote:
(02-04-2011, 03:27 AM)senataur Wrote:
(02-03-2011, 08:02 AM)Zoridium JackL Wrote: alexanders story was corroborated by someone else with no motive to lie, therefore it becomes validated.

who? whereabouts?

i dunno, but i do remember hearing something about a guy who took an orb and then the shadow came after him and it took it but wasn't killed, hence corroboration, and its not really something you lie about, especially without motive, on a piece of paper...

it might have been in the secret stuffs but it was somewhere and it validates the shadow.

That was Agrippa's discovery of the first Orb, which was in a cave outside Alstadt. He was chased by what he called the Guardian of the Orb, and then was teleported across the Alps to safety. But the Orb did not teleport with him. That Orb came into the possession of Alexander, then it shattered, and Daniel put it back together in order to get into the Inner Sanctum. Geez.

The story in the game is pretty weak in some aspects, and has holes. You can fill the holes with various theories. Pick one you like and go with it. Personally I would have preferred the developers to wrap up the loose ends; Lovecraft never left anything to this kind of interpretation, with Shadows having questionable motives or whatnot.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great things about the story. Alexander's method for extending his own life by torturing human beings was one of them. As we read about the scientific and practical way that Alexander approached the problem, it significantly added to the horror surrounding him.

For an example of where I think the story could've been better, it was written that Alexander wanted to be reunited with a lost love. It would've been nice to have had a bit more detail on that. And obviously the Shadow was weak.

yeah, would have been nice of thehy filled us in on a few of the finer points of the story, it probably would have affected the gameplay a lot more.
02-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Find
pedritti Offline

Threads: 1

For those saying that the shadow was after the orb and not Daniel it would contradict the fact that in the ending where Alexander escapes, you can notice the orb dissapear and thus it is no longer in the inner chamber. the shadow still kills Daniel anyway ... even though the orb has dissapeared. It should have just left seeing as the orb had dissapeared along with Alexander. It would also make the ending where both die seem strange . I may be mad but i could swear you see the orb dissapear.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2011, 03:18 AM by pedritti.)
02-07-2011, 03:15 AM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

(02-07-2011, 03:15 AM)pedritti Wrote: For those saying that the shadow was after the orb and not Daniel it would contradict the fact that in the ending where Alexander escapes, you can notice the orb dissapear and thus it is no longer in the inner chamber. the shadow still kills Daniel anyway ... even though the orb has dissapeared. It should have just left seeing as the orb had dissapeared along with Alexander. It would also make the ending where both die seem strange . I may be mad but i could swear you see the orb dissapear.

your mad, it's after the orb, not daniel, really, it has no reason to go after daniel, only the orb.
02-07-2011, 05:07 AM
Find
pedritti Offline

(02-07-2011, 05:07 AM)Zoridium JackL Wrote:
(02-07-2011, 03:15 AM)pedritti Wrote: For those saying that the shadow was after the orb and not Daniel it would contradict the fact that in the ending where Alexander escapes, you can notice the orb dissapear and thus it is no longer in the inner chamber. the shadow still kills Daniel anyway ... even though the orb has dissapeared. It should have just left seeing as the orb had dissapeared along with Alexander. It would also make the ending where both die seem strange . I may be mad but i could swear you see the orb dissapear.

your mad, it's after the orb, not daniel, really, it has no reason to go after daniel, only the orb.

Then why does it kill Daniel after the orb disappears?
02-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

(02-08-2011, 04:18 AM)pedritti Wrote:

you are mad... i thought that explained it, and i think you are seeing things, and i have explained it all before so go read one of those post's before i catch your insanity.
02-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Find
pedritti Offline

(02-08-2011, 08:28 AM)Zoridium JackL Wrote:
(02-08-2011, 04:18 AM)pedritti Wrote:

you are mad... i thought that explained it, and i think you are seeing things, and i have explained it all before so go read one of those post's before i catch your insanity.

I went and saw it again. Yes the orb does dissapear.
Next time learn to do some research before responding something from the top of your head just because... It makes you look very foolish.

Here it is. The first ending the orb dissapears after alexander dissapears:

Endings of Amnesia

Look at the time between 2:55 and 3:20. You can clearly see the pedestal with no orb there.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2011, 04:45 PM by pedritti.)
02-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

i did actually explain that somewhere, learn to listen, and when someone says they explained it elsewhere, actually look, in other words, do some research... yeah, you look like a fooooooool Tongue
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2011, 09:13 PM by Zoridium JackL.)
02-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Find
pedritti Offline

(02-08-2011, 09:12 PM)Zoridium JackL Wrote: i did actually explain that somewhere, learn to listen, and when someone says they explained it elsewhere, actually look, in other words, do some research... yeah, you look like a fooooooool Tongue

I have looked and in no post can you corroborate your theory with an actual fact.
My theory on the other hand does have the help of facts to back it up.
The orb dissapears. I have shown it to you in the link.
Now you show me a fact!
And if you are right i will have no problem in saying you're right.
But please dont give an opinion and state it as a fact like you have done in all your previous posts.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2011, 12:37 AM by pedritti.)
02-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

(02-09-2011, 12:36 AM)pedritti Wrote:
(02-08-2011, 09:12 PM)Zoridium JackL Wrote: i did actually explain that somewhere, learn to listen, and when someone says they explained it elsewhere, actually look, in other words, do some research... yeah, you look like a fooooooool Tongue

I have looked and in no post can you corroborate your theory with an actual fact.
My theory on the other hand does have the help of facts to back it up.
The orb dissapears. I have shown it to you in the link.
Now you show me a fact!
And if you are right i will have no problem in saying you're right.
But please dont give an opinion and state it as a fact like you have done in all your previous posts.

it is in another thread and it is explained iin full, something to do witht eh path to the orb and how the shadow follows it, try LOOKING, i am not going to type it out again just because you are stubborn.

also "i pity the fool"
02-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Find