Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Linux Beta Demo and Feedback (1.0.1 Final Out)
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback

richip Wrote:Excellent work!

On Fedora 7 Test 2 (and I imagine the same goes for FC6 and 5 as well as F7 release), I just had to add mesa-libGLU.i386 for compatibility. Also, I had to make sure the 32-bit compatibility libs for nvidia were installed.

A request, though: is it possible to check on a change of screen resolution whether the new mod timings would work with the monitor? As soon as I switched mine to 1280x800 (I have a widescreen LCD monitor capable of going 1680x1050) and restarted the game, the timing went out of range. Unfortunately, I couldn't quit the game blind so I had to go to kill X (killing just the game from a virtual console didn't seem to reset the video settings). Now, I've no way to restore it to default config (800x600) other than reinstalling the game cause I can't seem to figure out which config file to edit.

Hmm.. I'm going to look into implementing a -safemode command line parameter to help with that..

Otherwise.. config file is stored in your home directory
~/.frictionalgames/Penumbra Overture/Episode 1/settings.cfg

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
03-26-2007, 02:37 AM
Website Find
hikaricore Offline

Threads: 0

Urkle Wrote:am I correct in reading that people can run the penumbra demo under the Feisty Fawn releases??

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=199779

It looks like a few Feisty Fawn users have been able to run the game.

I can't tell if any Edgy or Dapper users are able to run it cos the lazy
chites didn't set their version info on their forum profiles lol.

Urkle Wrote:I have verified that the issue is related to Ubuntu 6.10 specificaly I even replaced most libs in my lib directory with official ubuntu 6.10 versions. (ubuntu doesn't seem to package openal and freealut). Cg is an nvidia binary only library.

I am looking further into the issue and will be getting in touch with the Ubuntu developers to try and track down the issue.

Good to know you're still looking into this. Smile

I even tried symlinking my /usr/lib dir in place of the include directory with no change in results (i have all the required libraries in my lib directory)
03-26-2007, 06:12 AM
Find
daturan Offline

just to clarify, on my Ubuntu 6.10 x64 system running 'gdb' and 'bt' I'm getting what's reported below. thanks for looking into this!

Urkle Wrote:
Thib_G Wrote:I'm running Ubuntu 6.10, and penumbrademo.bin fails with SIGFPE.
Here is the output of gdb :
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/thib/local/PenumbraDemo/penumbrademo.bin
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)

Program received signal SIGFPE, Arithmetic exception.
0xb7f088b6 in _dl_rtld_di_serinfo () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb7f088b6 in _dl_rtld_di_serinfo () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#1  0xb7f08c47 in _dl_rtld_di_serinfo () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#2  0xb7f0a291 in _dl_rtld_di_serinfo () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#3  0xb7f04138 in ?? () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#4  0xb6ec7780 in ?? ()
#5  0xb6ec7928 in ?? ()
#6  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#7  0x00000000 in ?? ()

By the way, I had trouble to register onto this forum ( your SMTP server is probably refused by free.fr ), please delete Thib and ThibG

I happened to find your post on the ubuntu-fr.org forums related to the issue. (had to translate with google) am I correct in reading that people can run the penumbra demo under the Feisty Fawn releases??

I have verified that the issue is related to Ubuntu 6.10 specificaly I even replaced most libs in my lib directory with official ubuntu 6.10 versions. (ubuntu doesn't seem to package openal and freealut). Cg is an nvidia binary only library.

I am looking further into the issue and will be getting in touch with the Ubuntu developers to try and track down the issue.
03-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Find
Sharpshooter Offline

Threads: 2

For information, on my Debian Etch I got this error too :

./penumbrademo: line 2: 4903 Exception en point flottant LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib ./penumbrademo.bin
(floating point exception in french)

I deleted all the files in the Penumbra/lib directory and install new *Cg* libs but I still get the error.

The `GLIBC_2.4' not found bug disappeared when I deleted the files in the Penumbra/lib and install the Debian package libopenal0a.

Pentium IV 2400
1Gb Ram
SATA HD 400 Gb
Nvidia Geforce 5700 256Gb
Debian Linux Etch
03-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Find
the Mage Offline

Currently downloading the Linux beta torrent using [plug] Deluge [/plug], which is a fairly new lean and fast client deluge-torrent.org.

I'm also running Ubuntu 6.10, with the latest updates, so if I run into the same problems as the previous folks I'll add my efforts to getting a trace for you.

Edit: I'm pleased to say that the installer that I downloaded works fine on Ubuntu 6.10, currently seeding for others to enjoy.

The graphics are good, physics are great, and game play quite smooth.

Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton), Nvidia GeForce 7600gs 256mb AGP 8x, 2Gb Ram Corsair TwinX 400 FSB, Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS (alsa).

The only problems that I have experienced 'in game', is that the sound is occasionaly 'scratchty' or affected by static.

The only other 'problem' I have is that the game isn't available to buy for Linux, yet! ;-)

I'll be checking out the second problem on a regular basis, and be sure to snap up the first installment once it goes gold.

Cheers folks, and keep up the good work.
03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Find
skoruppa Offline

that game rox xD. Working great on my ubuntu Feisty Fawn Smile.
I just must buy this game.
03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Find
maximi89 Offline

Diablo150 Wrote:Thank you for the Linux client.

But I've some troubles. I'm in x86_64 system (Debian) and when I want to run the demo (on 32 bits mode), I've this error message:

./penumbrademo.bin: /emul/ia32-linux/lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by ./lib/libopenal.so.0)
./penumbrademo.bin: /emul/ia32-linux/lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by ./lib/libalut.so.0)

So, I'm replace missing libraries by the 32 bits libraries on my system.
And I've this message:

./penumbrademo: line 2: 8165 Exception en point flottant LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib ./penumbrademo.bin

Am I must use a specific version ?

(Sorry for my English, I'm French)

http://www.jeuvinux.net/breve.php3?id_breve=223
Please check if you have libc6, libopenal0a, in ubuntu that is the repository Tongue and tell us and if you don't have them install it Smile
Greetings!
I'm chilean =P
03-27-2007, 02:44 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

RE: Ubuntu Update

I have a new build of the demo binary that runs correctly on Ubuntu now which I will be releasing this evening or tomorrow morning depending on how long it takes me to track down another bug.

03-27-2007, 04:25 AM
Website Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

RE: Ubuntu Update

I've release the demo beta 2 binaries on tracker.outoforder.cc

Just download the PenumbraDemoBeta2.tar.gz
To install extract the contents and put all the files in the Penumbre Demo Beta 2 directory into the PenumbraoEp1Demo directory replacing existing binaries. (it'd probaby be a good to remove the lib directory completely and replace it with the one in the update tar.gz file)

Example (from a terminal)
cd ~/PenumbraEp1Demo
tar -xzf /where/I/downloaded/PenumbraDemoBeta2.tar.gz
rm -rf lib
mv "Penumbra Demo Beta 2/*" .
rmdir "Penumbra Demo Beta 2"

Changes
  • Rebuild using a clean build environment (fixes Ubuntu loading issue)
  • Packaged libsdl.org stock SDL libraries (should improve compatability)
  • Updated launch script to give detailed information on how to track down issues for me
  • Exits gracefully if $DISPLAY isn't set.

Known Issues
  • Sound gets cut off during some phrases in the intro. I'm looking into this one
  • some staticy sound during the into and other places (very much related to the above issue)
  • 64 bit installer issues. I'm either going to fix the nixstaller to get this working or fall back to the ol' loki installer..

Now I go rebuild the mac demo.

03-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Website Find
r00b Offline

Threads: 1

great demo, I can't wait to buy the game. one request, resolution at 1680x1050.
03-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Find