Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 38 Vote(s) - 3.95 Average
Amnesia: An Unexpected Arrival [RELEASE] - v1.04
Nye Offline

Threads: 8
RE: An Unexpected Arrival - A New Custom Story [Download][Video]

(02-07-2011, 10:45 PM)Sel Wrote: Looks decent, will run through later.

Cool, let me know what you think Blush
02-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

Very well made demo! I'm looking forward to the full mod.

Only problem is that for me the game crashes when I try to enter the private quarters. Tried it twice.
02-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Find
Nye Offline

(02-10-2011, 01:06 AM)nofsky Wrote: Very well made demo! I'm looking forward to the full mod.

Only problem is that for me the game crashes when I try to enter the private quarters. Tried it twice.

That is the end of the demo anyway. Although it should display a message and return to the menu Undecided

Glad you enjoyed it! Big Grin
02-10-2011, 01:34 AM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

Oh god, first off. NEVER use that godawful high pitched noise thing that plays around the point that monster comes along and drags you off. I have to mute my volume every time. Anyway, first, this entire thing is literally non stop horror events. there's absolutely no pacing at all, and feels more like AvP 2000, than an Amnesia story. It stopped being scary after 30 seconds because of it, so please tone that down, a lot.

Otherwise, neat levels I suppose, though there's a lot more random locked doors than would be to my liking (they're just confusing really). I also have no idea what an iron maiden is doing in some random room, but ok lets run with it. So after that I climb some ladder, walk down a hallway, and hit an error message when I go to the next level (I assume that's the end of the demo). All in all it took about 10 minutes to finish because it wasn't scary at all. The way you've set it up the player will be expecting a monster every second, which doesn't work, and isn't scary.

There is next to no lighting at all, and the sanity cracking because I'm afraid of the dark got irritating fast, and almost every light I ran into got extinguished within 5 seconds, so idk. You should probably just start over or something, the whole thing just isn't all that great :/
02-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Find
Nye Offline

(02-10-2011, 03:14 AM)Sel Wrote: Oh god, first off. NEVER use that godawful high pitched noise thing that plays around the point that monster comes along and drags you off. I have to mute my volume every time. Anyway, first, this entire thing is literally non stop horror events. there's absolutely no pacing at all, and feels more like AvP 2000, than an Amnesia story. It stopped being scary after 30 seconds because of it, so please tone that down, a lot.

Otherwise, neat levels I suppose, though there's a lot more random locked doors than would be to my liking (they're just confusing really). I also have no idea what an iron maiden is doing in some random room, but ok lets run with it. So after that I climb some ladder, walk down a hallway, and hit an error message when I go to the next level (I assume that's the end of the demo). All in all it took about 10 minutes to finish because it wasn't scary at all. The way you've set it up the player will be expecting a monster every second, which doesn't work, and isn't scary.

There is next to no lighting at all, and the sanity cracking because I'm afraid of the dark got irritating fast, and almost every light I ran into got extinguished within 5 seconds, so idk. You should probably just start over or something, the whole thing just isn't all that great :/

Thanks for the feedback, I would disagree with a few things and it's not final yet. More of an alpha than a demo. But thanks for the constructive feedback Sel Big Grin Ultimately I'm only making this to please myself, but if some like it the that's great, if not then oh well, we all have different tastes, I'm sorry you didn't like it.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2011, 02:34 PM by Nye.)
02-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

Man I haven't posted here in months.

Anyway!

I really liked the game, it had some damn good jumps for me. I especially liked
Spoiler below!
when you went down the stairs and a bottle rolled down from the dark and the monster howled, and then came busting through the door you go into. That was instense!

I recorded a video with commentary over it if you're at all interested on live reactions of your work.

Again, great job!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UvASqMNDOk
02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Find
Nye Offline

(02-10-2011, 03:00 PM)Cryaotic Wrote: Man I haven't posted here in months.

Anyway!

I really liked the game, it had some damn good jumps for me. I especially liked
Spoiler below!
when you went down the stairs and a bottle rolled down from the dark and the monster howled, and then came busting through the door you go into. That was instense!

I recorded a video with commentary over it if you're at all interested on live reactions of your work.

Again, great job!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UvASqMNDOk

OMG that was funny, I feel honored that you would do that for my story Big Grin

I've added it to the thread Sleepy
02-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4

Sel has extremely good taste on technical aspects. I'm always impressed with his critics. '-'
02-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Find
Need4Power Offline

Threads: 1

The custom story was so good that i finished it three times! XD
02-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Find
Nye Offline

(02-11-2011, 04:23 PM)Need4Power Wrote: The custom story was so good that i finished it three times! XD

LIES! Tongue

Thanks for the support, it has really motivated me to make the rest of the story better Smile

02-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Find