Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 38 Vote(s) - 3.95 Average
Amnesia: An Unexpected Arrival [RELEASE] - v1.04
Mexxi Offline

Threads: 3
RE: An Unexpected Arrival - A New Custom Story [Download][Video]

(02-12-2011, 07:56 PM)Nye Wrote: Great feedback! Regarding the skybox in the first level, I have fixed this now, you are right, I didn't use a skybox and it was an error.

thanks for taking my feedback serious and nice that my shot in the dark was actually correct.

(02-12-2011, 07:56 PM)Nye Wrote: I agree, that the grunt sound is overused, I will find an alternative, brand new (to the game) sound. When I tested the first map (out in the woods), I avoided running against the walls, so I will do my best to fix any stuck issues, although, it is quite tricky when you have such a long space to remove them all!

that's true, but can't be helped. in this case i didn't even try to get stuck. it just so happened that i try to stick to one side to at least be sure not to be ambushed. you never know how people play the game, so polishing will take quite some work. you did show some foresight with the invisible wall already. may be placing one a few pixels before the trees would make things easier?

(02-12-2011, 07:56 PM)Nye Wrote: No way am I modelling my own stuff Confused, I don't have that much free time, though I don't feel that the trees look THAT bad, especially with the fog and low lighting, the player doesn't really draw most of their attention towards them, but if someone releases their own tree models, I might pinch them. Wink

lol i understand where you're coming from, but sel has a point too. you're already sinking time into learning how to use the editor and the scripts, so why not make a good start perfect? for me, the time i need to create a mediocre product is more of a waste of time than if i poured in a little more to make it perfect. but that's just me. also, once you know how to model, creating new assets should be a lot quicker. there are also websites that offer thousands of 3d-models for all types of 3d-apps for download. may be you can find something useful online?

another idea would be to use an open area approach like placing the player on a field. there was a scene in the game at the end where you walk over a dark field with houses in the distance. i remember trees and thanks to the visual distortion everything looked pretty believable. since you teleport the user into the caste anyway, may be such an approach would look a bit more believable while also hiding the some of the asset's weaknesses? you could use drainage canals and fences to lock the area off. this way getting stuck would also be pretty much impossible. anyway, just an idea.

(02-12-2011, 07:56 PM)Nye Wrote: The player reacting is over-used; I basically scripted the whole demo in one night, so I overused them a little too much. Confused

well for this short production time you did implement quite a few nice things.

(02-12-2011, 07:56 PM)Nye Wrote: The final game has PLENTY of large open spaces. I have just finished a large, creepy "hotel wing" style room.

great to hear that Smile

(02-12-2011, 07:56 PM)Nye Wrote: Entering the private quarters, shouldn't crash the game; though it may be something I need to address. It is supposed to display a message and then return the player to the menu...

on my comp it just went black if i remember correctly and when i alt-tabbed to the desktop the game just crashed

(02-12-2011, 07:56 PM)Nye Wrote: Anyway, thanks for the great feedback, REALLY useful! Thank you!

you're very welcome
02-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Find
Nye Offline

Threads: 8

(02-13-2011, 11:15 AM)guangling Wrote: Hi everybody!

same problem here. I downloaded the rar file, extracted it in the custom_stories folders and yet I don't see anything in the custom stories menu of the game! Anyone with an idea why it doesn't work? What's weird that some custom stories work (Wake, Forbidden Castle) and some don't (Cannibalism, Unexpected arrival).

cheers and thanks,

guangling

(02-12-2011, 09:19 PM)Romendakil Wrote: Well, it is inside. I have ~/Amnesia/custom_stories/An Unexpected Arrival folder. And the story is not in the menu.

Are you on the latest version (1.01) of Amnesia?? Undecided

02-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Find
MooseTheScared Offline

Threads: 1

(02-13-2011, 05:36 PM)Nye Wrote: Are you on the latest version (1.01) of Amnesia?? Undecided

Yep, I am.
02-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Find
Nye Offline

(02-13-2011, 06:31 PM)Romendakil Wrote:
(02-13-2011, 05:36 PM)Nye Wrote: Are you on the latest version (1.01) of Amnesia?? Undecided

Yep, I am.

I will reupload it whewhen I get home, see if that helps Smile

02-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Find
guangling Offline

Threads: 0

Same here! Anyone else had this problem of the custom story not appearing in the game menu?

(02-13-2011, 06:31 PM)Romendakil Wrote:

Yep, I am.
02-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Find
Sadface Offline

Threads: 2

I couldn't play it through. I seriously crapped my pants Sad

You sir! You sir! Are a freaking genius at custom stories!
02-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

Seriously, man.

You really are definitely a very promising custom story artist.

I definitely look forward to future updates. I haven't been that scared in a good long while. Felt like I was living my old original run-through of Amnesia. I hope you keep it up and bring the same quality to the future updates.

With that said, do you by chance have an ETA of when the next update of well, anything will be?
02-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Find
Nye Offline

(02-14-2011, 10:59 PM)Cryaotic Wrote: Seriously, man.

You really are definitely a very promising custom story artist.

I definitely look forward to future updates. I haven't been that scared in a good long while. Felt like I was living my old original run-through of Amnesia. I hope you keep it up and bring the same quality to the future updates.

With that said, do you by chance have an ETA of when the next update of well, anything will be?

A while. Confused

I have been working on college stuff/gf, so I haven't found much time the last few days to work on this, but I'm still doing a little bit each day! Wink

02-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Find
Nye Offline

POSSIBLE FIX FOR THOSE WHO THE CUSTOM STORY DOES NOT SHOW UP IN THE CUSTOM STORY LIST:

Go into the "Unexpected Arrival" folder and open "custom_story_settings.cfg" in Notepad or Notepad++.

Make sure there are are no line spaces between anything. The file should look something like this:

<Main
Name = "An Unexpected Arrival"
Author = "Nye"
MapsFolder = "maps/"
StartMap = "outside.map"
StartPos = "PlayerStartArea_1"
/>

After ensuring there are no spaces/correcting this. Restart the game and you "SHOULD" see it in the menu. There is some weird bug where sometimes, it will randomly add a space there and it seems it wont show up on the custom story list.

02-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Find
Selyp Offline

Threads: 19

Liked the demo! Looking forward to the full release.
02-17-2011, 01:19 AM
Find