Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How come..
Blacklist Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Question  How come..

So, I have the same OS, and the same video card. How can he get it to run, but I can't? I crash on the loading screen Sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9klAxeQsHlQ
03-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: How come..

But not same driver.

03-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Website Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

he is most likely running a bleeding edge version of Mesa GL, and has the s3tc libraries installed as well. See the posts on running Amnesia using the opensource ATI drivers (R300 card)

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
03-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Website Find
Blacklist Offline

(03-02-2011, 01:11 PM)Urkle Wrote: he is most likely running a bleeding edge version of Mesa GL, and has the s3tc libraries installed as well. See the posts on running Amnesia using the opensource ATI drivers (R300 card)

Looks like I'll have to do some compiling :/ Thanks
03-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Find
Eurochild Offline

Threads: 0

I too have seen that video and I spent a couple of weeks trying to make the game works. Fortunately the game works great, both the native Linux version and the Windows version under Wine (let's keep in mind that I can't even run the game on Windows because I have an Intel card). All I did was installing Ubuntu 11.04 (alpha 3), adding the xorg-edgers PPA (https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa), upgrading the system and then install dritools (with apt-get), then you execute it and activate the s3tc libraries.

I've spent a lot of weeks making tests, compiling drivers and breaking the x server over and over again but it all became really simple with the PPA. I should note that I'm a SuSE user so the Ubuntu partition is nothing but a sandbox, you really shouldn't try all this on your stable OS because these are all versions under development.

Bottom line is that Intel drivers for Windows have so little OpenGL support that you will not be able to run Amnesia on Windows, however using the method mentioned above you will be able to play it. I haven't been able to try it beyond playing five minutes (I will do it tonight though!) but everything seemed rather fine.
03-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Find
Blacklist Offline

I'll try what you did tomorrow, but I did actually get instructions from him on how he did it, if anyone else would like to give it a go.

For Ubuntu just follow these steps ( other distributions are pretty similar just the package manager is different )

First Step:
install the appropriate Linux kernel that is compatible with the Mesa3D that is going to be installed.
go to, http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
get 2.6.36.x kernel, for example v2.6.36.4-natty
get the files, linux-headers-*-generic_*_i386.deb ( 32 bit ) and linux-headers-*_all.deb and linux-image-*-generic_*_i386.deb ( 32 bit )
install the files by any method command line or gui, for example for the command line,
first, dpkg -i linux-headers-*_all.deb
second, dpkg -i linux-headers-*-generic_*_i386.deb
third, dpkg -i linux-image-*-generic_*_i386.deb
now restart the computer with new kernel.

Second Step:
install the development environment files that is needed for source compilation.
go to, Synaptic Package Manager
install the required files, for example gcc, g++, nasm, yasm, build-essential, mesa-common-dev, xorg-dev, bison, flex, libudev-dev, libcairo2-dev and so on.

Third Step:
install libdrm library that matches with the kernel ( choose a libdrm version which release date is closer to the kernel release date)
go to, http://dri.freedesktop.org/libdrm/
get the file libdrm-2.4.24.tar.*, for example libdrm-2.4.24.tar.gz
extract the file and open a terminal to the newly created directory.
build the library using, ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-radeon and make
install the library using, sudo make install and sudo make uninstall and sudo make install
this first removes old version and installs new one.

Fourth Step:
install Intel 2D driver that matches with the installed xserver.
go to, http://intellinuxgraphics.org/
get the file xf86-video-intel-2.13.0.tar.bz2
build the library using, ./configure --prefix=/usr and make
install the libraries using, sudo make install and sudo make uninstall and sudo make install
the library files will be installed in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers directory named intel_drv.so and intel_drv.la
now log out and log in again for this to take effect

Fifth Step:
install Intel 3D driver.
go to, ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/mesa/

some notes on mesa versions:
mesa 7.7.1 ( most stable mesa I have ever used, very few bugs)
mesa 7.8.3-rc1 ( stable, more feature than 7.7.1, few bugs introduced than 7.7.1)
mesa 7.9.series ( buggy, more feature than 7.8.series, a lot of bugs introduced than 7.8.3-rc1)
mesa 7.10.1 (stable, many more features than 7.9.series, few bugs like 7.8.3-rc1)
mesa 7.11-devel from git (upstream driver, supports many more feature than 7.10.series, less stable, have more bugs, not in good shape at the moment I am writing this)

get mesa 7.10.1, download MesaLib-7.10.1.tar.bz2 file
build the libraries using, ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-dri-drivers="i810,i915,i965,swrast" --disable-glut and make
remove the old libraries using, sudo rm /usr/lib/egl/* and sudo rm /usr/lib/dri/* and sudo rm /usr/lib/libEGL.so* and sudo rm /usr/lib/libGLU.so* and sudo rm /usr/lib/libGLw.so* and sudo rm /usr/lib/libGL.so*
install the libraries using, sudo make install
the library files will be installed in /usr/lib and /usr/lib/dri and /usr/lib/egl
now log out and log in again for this to take effect

Sixth Step:
install s3tc library.
go to, http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~mareko/libtxc_dxtn/
get the file libtxc_dxtn-1.0.0.tar.bz2
build the library using, make clean and make
install the library using, sudo rm /usr/lib/libtxc_dxtn.so and sudo make install

it is done, have a look at glxinfo in the terminal and fire up the games.

if wanna try latest devel mesa 7.11 ( not recommended ) just download mesa 7.11 instead of mesa 7.10.1
by this command in the terminal, git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/mesa
installation of git is required for the above command ( install it from Synaptic Package Manager)

build priority,

kernel -> libdrm -> Intel 2D -> Mesa 3D
03-22-2011, 03:20 AM
Find
Eurochild Offline

Yeah, he's a nice guy, he also sent my the instructions a while ago. But trust me, is way easier to:

1) Install Ubuntu Natty [preferentially on a separate partition to the one you use daily]
2) Update the system
3) Restart
4) Add xorg-edgers PPA and update the system again
5) Restart
6) Install driconf, execute it and activate the s3tc libraries

I can confirm the game runs great on my Intel 4500.
03-23-2011, 07:19 AM
Find
Blacklist Offline

(03-23-2011, 07:19 AM)Eurochild Wrote: Yeah, he's a nice guy, he also sent my the instructions a while ago. But trust me, is way easier to:

1) Install Ubuntu Natty [preferentially on a separate partition to the one you use daily]
2) Update the system
3) Restart
5) Restart

Yeah, that way was a lot easier :P Got it to work and loving it :D
Spoiler below!

[Image: Screenshot-1.png]

03-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Find
thonexxx Offline

(03-23-2011, 07:19 AM)Eurochild Wrote: Yeah, he's a nice guy, he also sent my the instructions a while ago. But trust me, is way easier to:

2) Update the system
3) Restart
5) Restart

Hi, will this work with Ubuntu 12.04? Will it work with intel 4500m? How do I use driconf? Thanks.
06-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

In theory in 12.04 you shouldn't need to use xorg-edgers, but simply make sure you use driconf to enable s3tc. I'd suggest searching the ubuntu forums for how to do that.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
06-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Website Find