Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 84 Vote(s) - 4.31 Average
White Night - Total Conversion v1.1
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: White Night - Total Conversion

(08-09-2011, 02:47 AM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote: I wonder, is Q4 2011 an event that goes on? If so, when is that? Cause I don't think I can wait any longer for this piece of cake. (Meaning, I hope this custom story will be just as good as a piece of cake, which in my case, is great. :3)

Q4 2011 is 4th quarter of 2011, means last three months of 2011 (October, November & December). What I meant by that is I'm hoping to release the finished product before end of the 2011.
I hope you will like the finished game.

(08-09-2011, 03:03 AM)1134ringanybells Wrote: Frictional games is looking for work you know... you might want to try out.

Thanks for the praise. However I don't have any Xbox platform experience; and I'm not graduated yet. And since they removed the "We are Hiring" link, it's likely they already found who they're looking for.

08-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

release it whenever you feel right. If it is February 2012 --> no problem! Just...make it a monster! SmileSmileSmile
08-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Hahaha, yes, you are so right.
However, there are two things which are very bad.
First, when it takes too much time, it takes from motivation, eventually cuts from quality; or it needs to take time for motivation too. I'm having some difficulties with level design and puzzle ideas at the moment. Causing to spend my spare time on futile thinking.
Secondly, expectations are getting higher, which I'm afraid of. I don't want to be a Black Mesa: Source tribute Tongue

08-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

I totally agree with both arguments. Look, it is normal that the expectations are so high. You are the first one to make an actual big modern Amnesia mod with a new unique story. People want changes and with WN you are actually braking the ice. I am also bored of the same stories set at the 19th century with similar stories and stuff like that.

Now for the first argument about quality. Yes, you are right. I have learned that the hard way while making Unbirth. At the moment I am really frustrated with it, but for a different reason. I am realizing how vast it has to be and how big as a game it will be. Also, the conversions...so boring and tiring. Only the idea of that makes me tired and not willing to continue. Well, you are experiencing something different. You want to make it perfect so that you can satisfy everyone who has been waiting to play it. Believe me, when it will be released, noone will tell you that it was bad or more puzzles needed. At least noone that knows how much work and how difficult it is to create a damn modern mod!

I remember you saying that if you could, you would somehow lock the entities, textures, planes, sounds and everything custom made or converted. Me too. If I could, I would do it. This is the main reason why I am thinking whether Unbirth is worth all this trouble. I see some very nicely built Amnesia-like stories and I think: how the hell did he do all this work in such a sort time? Well, it is because everything is already made and very easy to piece together. Most scripts are done or can be found at the forums. Everything is much easier.

So yes, release it whenever it is ready and don't worry about time so much. There is a greek expression about that: Καθετί καλό, θέλει τον χρόνο του --> The more it takes, the better it will be. Right now I'm thinking, will Unbirth be released in 2012 or 2013? Go figure... Sad
08-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

(08-09-2011, 08:13 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(08-09-2011, 02:47 AM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote: I wonder, is Q4 2011 an event that goes on? If so, when is that? Cause I don't think I can wait any longer for this piece of cake. (Meaning, I hope this custom story will be just as good as a piece of cake, which in my case, is great. :3)

Q4 2011 is 4th quarter of 2011, means last three months of 2011 (October, November & December). What I meant by that is I'm hoping to release the finished product before end of the 2011.
I hope you will like the finished game.

Ah. Thank you for clearing that up Big Grin

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
08-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

@XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX
No problem at all Smile

@plutomaniac
You summed up what I've been thinking lately. Many people think that making a mod is "click click done" easy job. Probably after our releases we will see more modern day mods made within a short time too Big Grin

08-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Yes, that's true. We'll see... SmileSmile
08-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Flashlight and batteries as items are added to downloads section as addons:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/white-night/ad...able-items

I also added a short tutorial:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/white-night/tu...game-files

08-29-2011, 04:25 AM
Website Find
JetlinerX Offline

Threads: 49

I was JUST creating a topic asking someone how to make a total conversion. You sir, are a God among some.

Lead Developer of "The Attic"
~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

08-29-2011, 04:31 AM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(08-29-2011, 04:25 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: I also added a short tutorial:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/white-night/tu...game-files

So, instead of a full conversion we can make a custom story? It looks a lot of work to change resources and stuff like that. Will you change WN to custom story using these methods?
08-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Find