Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Im Scared ill never be scared again
cebad Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Im Scared ill never be scared again

thanks guys i think ill try doom 3, is scratches really that good i was reading that there is nothing that can hurt you
03-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(03-27-2011, 07:39 PM)cebad Wrote: is scratches really that good i was reading that there is nothing that can hurt you

I thought you were asking a good scary game. But if you want something that hurts, try this.

03-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Website Find
Droopy Offline

Threads: 5

(03-27-2011, 10:33 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(03-27-2011, 07:39 PM)cebad Wrote: is scratches really that good i was reading that there is nothing that can hurt you

I thought you were asking a good scary game. But if you want something that hurts, try this.
Once you realize that nothing can harm you in-game, it can kill a lot of the immersion therefor making it not very scary. Although I'm sure cebad should not rule out scratches because of it's lack of enemies, as I'm certain the atmosphere holds it's own.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2011, 12:48 AM by Droopy.)
03-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(03-28-2011, 12:47 AM)Droopy Wrote:

Once you realize that nothing can harm you in-game, it can kill a lot of the immersion therefor making it not very scary. Although I'm sure cebad should not rule out scratches because of it's lack of enemies, as I'm certain the atmosphere holds it's own.

Once you realize that you can kill anything that moves, it can kill the immersion completely.
So, what's the point? Only games that can scare you is the ones having enemies with player disabled to defend him/herself. Is that the point you are trying to reach?

03-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Website Find
Droopy Offline

Threads: 5

(03-28-2011, 01:45 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(03-28-2011, 12:47 AM)Droopy Wrote:

Once you realize that you can kill anything that moves, it can kill the immersion completely.
So, what's the point? Only games that can scare you is the ones having enemies with player disabled to defend him/herself. Is that the point you are trying to reach?
Don't know where this argumentative attitude is coming from, but you do make a point. If the player is able to easily dispatch enemies, especially when they are not intended to (penumbra: overture for example), it can easily kill the immersion.

If we look at Amnesia for an example, enemies existed and they were practically invulnerable. One may argue that this has killed the immersion for them, since they were not able to defend themselves.

I suppose it comes down to the player to allow themselves to be immersed in the game, and for the developers to give the player enough options to immerse themselves in.

Different strokes for different folks.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2011, 03:06 AM by Droopy.)
03-28-2011, 03:05 AM
Find
thepaleking Offline

Threads: 1

Quote:Don't know where this argumentative attitude is coming from, but you do make a point. If the player is able to easily dispatch enemies, especially when they are not intended to (penumbra: overture for example), it can easily kill the immersion.

If we look at Amnesia for an example, enemies existed and they were practically invulnerable. One may argue that this has killed the immersion for them, since they were not able to defend themselves.

I suppose it comes down to the player to allow themselves to be immersed in the game, and for the developers to give the player enough options to immerse themselves in.

Different strokes for different folks.

In my opinion, the problem with combat is that it can almost always be exploited, abused, or just fuck up in any number of ways. It's almost impossible to implement combat that take into account any situation, and this inevitably leads to immersion breaking situations.

If you have to spam an attack over and over to kill an enemy, it breaks immersion. If the combat mechanics are clunky, it reminds you that you playing a game and breaks immersion. If one player runs out and destroys all the enemies in an area, while another tries to avoid all combat, those are two wildly different scenarios that the developers have to take into account. So on and so forth.

Whereas, if you simply remove all combat, you can have very solid control over all variables relating to the encounters with enemies.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2011, 04:09 AM by thepaleking.)
03-28-2011, 04:04 AM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

I agree with Paleking, and that was definitely evident in Overture. I liked the idea of being able to wield unorthodox weapons, but they were easily exploitable. Engine improvements and such could come a long way for that though. Maybe one day down the road they can try it again and it will be more immersible.
03-28-2011, 05:41 AM
Find