Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem: "Could not load main init file: config/main_init.cfg"
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Problem: "Could not load main init file: config/main_init.cfg"

What graphics card is it?
04-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Website Find
scotchman Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Problem: "Could not load main init file: config/main_init.cfg"

(04-14-2011, 06:46 PM)jens Wrote: What graphics card is it?

Chipset Model: GMA X3100
Type: Display
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 144 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x2a02
Revision ID: 0x0003
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
04-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

yeah.. the intel gma is not supported.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
04-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Website Find
scotchman Offline

suck. Ok thats fair, I'll boot it on a different machine. Is there no hope for the GMA? As in, will it ever be supported? Or is that a lost cause.
04-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

It is a really old chip so no, unless it happens by chance. Sorry!
04-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Website Find
starheart Offline

(03-28-2011, 09:57 PM)Urkle Wrote: There is a fix pending for this.. Just going through final testing before a patch is released.
can you send for me the fix too? Huh
01-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Find
scotchman Offline

(01-02-2012, 10:19 PM)starheart Wrote:
(03-28-2011, 09:57 PM)Urkle Wrote: There is a fix pending for this.. Just going through final testing before a patch is released.
can you send for me the fix too? Huh
I did manage to get the game working, although it did take me a decent while to figure it out. My computer still doesn't have a new graphic chipset model (integrated MacBook card GMA series), but I upgraded my ram and java client to support 64 bit. (lion osx) I can run the game through steam, which may have the latest patch. It is slow and grinds through some parts where it has to render rocks falling AND my character panicking or being chased, but somehow that just makes it scarier- slow response controls when you are going to die is heart wrenching. Anyway that did fix the problem for me, sort of. As before it would just display black screen on launch. So, that's something. Also the game ran perfectly through "ONLIVE" gaming service, depending on your Internet connection. They render it for you with their engine and stream it to you while you play. Sucks though if you are on wifi or a slow connection. But that also worked. (I bought this game 3 times: through frictional, steam, ONLIVE, because I really wanted to figure it out on my laptop. Definitely worth it, just beat it.) in an unrelated note: I'd recommend Penumbra: Overture, and Penumbra: Black plague, if you haven't played them already. Amazing games and they are much less graphic intensive than amnesia, while still scary as hell. Made by the same company from an earlier time. I hope this helps!

01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

If you had the 1.2 frictional games patch then you have the same version as what is on steam. I'm pretty sure the key thing that got it working for you is the upgrade to lion, which has a much newer OpenGL implementation. Unfortunately nearly all of the "intel" graphics issues are related to driver issues and card in capabilities across all platforms.. ( they area the bane of game developers world wide)

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Website Find
henkie Offline

(04-14-2011, 06:38 PM)scotchman Wrote:
(04-14-2011, 06:26 PM)Urkle Wrote: Well, from what we have found so far it was caused by zero byte (or corrupted) files in the ~/Library/Application Support/Frictional Games/Amnesia folder. As all the *fixes* I was applying made no difference until the Amnesia folder was renamed.

The issue I was trying to fix was the game starting in the wrong directory (which I ran across once myself).. You can see if that is your issue by opening the Terminal application, and running the following
cd /Applications/Amnesia.app/Contents/Resources
./Amnesia.app/Contents/MacOS/Amnesia

If THAT doesn't fix the issue then check the config folder (within the Contents/Resources folder) and see what the main_init.cfg looks like (or post it here).

I ran the code in terminal, and it booted to a black screen that flashed blue, and then crashed. (Which could be my graphics driver sucking) and then when It asked to be restarted I still got the same error message: could not load main init....

So I found the main_init.cfg file:

<ConfigFiles
Resources = "resources.cfg"
Materials = "materials.cfg"

Game = "config/game.cfg"
Menu = "config/menu.cfg"
PreMenu = "config/pre_menu.cfg"
Demo = "config/demo.cfg"

DefaultMainSettings = "config/default_main_settings.cfg"

DefaultMainSettingsLow = "launcher/default_main_settings_low.cfg"
DefaultMainSettingsMedium = "launcher/default_main_settings_medium.cfg"
DefaultMainSettingsHigh = "launcher/default_main_settings_high.cfg"

DefaultUserSettings = "config/default_user_settings.cfg"
DefaultUserKeys = "config/default_user_keys.cfg"

DefaultBaseLanguage = "base_english.lang"
DefaultGameLanguage = "english.lang"
/>

<Directories
MainSaveFolder = "Main"

BaseLanguageFolder = "config/"
GameLanguageFolder = "config/lang_main/"

CustomStoryPath = "custom_stories"
/>

<Variables
GameName = "Amnesia - The Dark Descent -"
/>

<StartMap
File = "00_rainy_hall.map"
Folder = "maps/main/"
Pos = "PlayerStartArea_1"
/>

Not sure whether there is anything wrong with it per se. I am running a 10.5.8 version of mac OSX, but it is an intel core macbook, and after reading the rest of the forum messages I feel that ultimately it will be my graphics card at the root of this issue. which can't be helped. That having been said, I do hope its something fixable. (would the game ever be patched to be compatible at much lower settings for graphics drivers such as mine?)

hey i had the same problem for mac osx 10.9 but i find a way to solve this:

first delete all the files in library> application support> frictional games> amnesia>main

then enter this in terminal:

cd /Applications/Amnesia.app/Contents/Resources
./Amnesia.app/Contents/MacOS/Amnesia

then enter this working key:
(Key removed)

then it should work and when you want to play amnesia again you must enter the code in terminal otherwise is wil say that it can't load conf. file
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2014, 04:24 PM by Urkle.)
03-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Find
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82

Why do you bring up such an old post? It's three years old, try starting a new one instead.
03-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Find