Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

"Recommended" requirements?
Jetsetlemming Offline

Threads: 5
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago "Recommended" requirements?

What would be the requirements to turn everything on, would you say? Do you use Shader 2.0 or 3.0 effects in the game?
I'm currently playing with a 2.66 Ghz processor, 1 GB ram, and a Radeon 9250, and my FPS varies a whole lot, from 60 in some areas to 5 in some situations (it seems the game doesn't like it when multiple dynamic lights are around, like a lamp and my flashlight... maybe it was something else having the bad effect though, I only tested it in one area).
I'm playing on the default settings with shader quality set to medium (I did that before even trying the game normally, I'm paranoid about shaders ever since I bought a DX8 level video card. Who'da thought I'd later regret passing up on a Geforce FX? Tongue).
Any recommendations to improve the performance in those "hard" areas would be appreciated, too.
03-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: "Recommended" requirements?

Best ways to turn up performance are usually:

- Turning off shadows.
- Turning down resolution.

Turning down texture resoltion might work, it depends so try other things first.

Also make sure that no other apps are running in the background and that you have the latest drivers. Updating driver can change fps alot!
03-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Find
Jetsetlemming Offline

I'm using the latest ATI drivers available for my "legacy" hardware, catalyst 6.5's. I could try turning off shadows, that would certainly make the difference for the areas where it was hard from dynamic lighting... It's a costly graphical change for just the few areas with poor peformance though. Hm.
So, could you tell me if you guys use the later shader versions? Shader 2.0, Shader 3.0? Or is it all Shader 1.1 code?
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2007, 11:43 PM by Gzy.)
03-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

It is OpenGL so it does not have shader versions specifically. However I would say using High quality shaders is 2.0 and te lower ones 1.1.

Also turning of post effects might help a bit.
03-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Find
Jetsetlemming Offline

Ah. Is there a way to turn down the particle effects? Like the dust clouds from a door being broken down? Those cause a fair bit of slowdown, too. Especially when multiple things are broken at once (like a wolf breaking down a door and through the barrels on the other side of it).
03-31-2007, 01:22 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Jetsetlemming Wrote:Ah. Is there a way to turn down the particle effects? Like the dust clouds from a door being broken down? Those cause a fair bit of slowdown, too. Especially when multiple things are broken at once (like a wolf breaking down a door and through the barrels on the other side of it).

Afraid not. However, this seem like slowndown due to physics but there is not any good way to speed this up either.

Make sure no other app is running as you run the game and that might help.
03-31-2007, 01:36 AM
Find
madFive Offline

Threads: 3

Hey - I'm considering buying this game - just found out about it today - looks very cool! There's not alot of info that i can find on this site about what systems people are running the game on, and what kind of fps they are getting.

Recomended specs would be great - what sys would be needed to run the game maxed out at say 1600x1200 res?

and just for the heck of it, here's my specs - anyone care to take a stab at what fps i can expect at the said max-1600? My cpu is really the bottleneck of this aging system - will i get alot of lag in physics-heavy situations?

P4 3.2ghz, 2gb DDR400mhz, AGP GF7950GT 512mb, SB Audigy 2, XP SP2

And for when i build my next system in december, does the game take advantage of multicore? How 'bout physics cards?
09-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

madFive:
Your computer should run it just fine! Try out the demo first if you are unsure though.
09-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Find