Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for a newbie?
eiahmon Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Tips for a newbie?

(04-18-2011, 08:23 AM)Ratsneve Wrote: I'll stick with speakers for this game then. I have a quiet neighborhood and my ears so far don't like any headsets I've tried and start hurting to make me darn sure I'm aware of it.

Yes! I just switched to IE9 the other day. I'll look and see if this reply double-posts too. Just noted that on the Steam forum my recent posts there did not double so it may be pecular to this type of forum here?

Ouch, that sucks about your ears. I use big ol' earmuff type headphones that cancel any outside noise.

It may be the way this forum is coded. I think this forum uses PhpBB, so I'll have to test on other forums that use the same coding.

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
04-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Find
Ratsneve Offline

Threads: 1

(04-18-2011, 10:42 AM)eiahmon Wrote: It may be the way this forum is coded. I think this forum uses PhpBB, so I'll have to test on other forums that use the same coding.
Looks like the double posts don't always happen? Like this post here only occurred once.

~Ratsneve~
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 06:04 PM by Ratsneve.)
04-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Find
ferryadams10 Offline

Threads: 40

I've got the best tip you can ever get.

Here it comes: Don't call yourself a newbie that wouldn't exactly stimulate u for going on with this Wink

Regards,
Ferry

Got a nice sofa
Please come and have a seat for a while

04-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote:I've got the best tip you can ever get.

Here it comes: Don't call yourself a newbie that wouldn't exactly stimulate u for going on with this Wink

Regards,
Ferry

what? That made no sense, and that's not helpful to the author of this thread at all

I'll give you some advice, hope I don't sound patronizing or condescending

1. It's perfectly normal to play cautiously, in many ways that's the smarter way to play, if not always the more fun way to play(it depends on whether you like panic attacks from running into a monster)

2. Play with audio, it is the only way to go

3. DON'T LOOK AT THE MONSTER, if you've run headlong into one of these horrors, and it hasn't seen you yet(if it has you'll be past worrying about looking at it), or you've hid from it, then it's important that you keep your gaze locked anywhere else but at the monster, staring or keeping an eye on it's motions can cause it to notice you and find you.

4. If you get the feeling that you're in a monster infested area, trust that feeling

5. If you encounter a monster, PAUSE, then proceed to think about what you are going to do, that way you don't blindly run in a panic and possibly get yourself into more trouble then you were in before(Example, I heard a monster, it had spawned behind me, I freaked and ran down several corridors, trying to shake the monster, then I ran head long into another one...I died) Also use the pause to determine WHERE you heard the monster, this can be vital

6. Close, the fucking door, behind you EXCEPT when you know a monster is nearby and it will hear(or see) the door being closed, this is a VERY bad idea in that case.

7. If you are trapped in a room DON'T GIVE UP HOPE, the monsters, while fearsome and horrifying are not particularly bright, so long as you aren't in plain view, they may merely look into the room after breaking the door down, then leave provided you are under cover and hidden from obvious sight, however if it is well lit or no cover(or both) you may just be plain hosed, but even then, grab something, anything and THROW IT at the monster, it will cause the monster(I'm not sure if the object has to be large or heavy) to flinch back, which may buy you the precious seconds to escape, this will cause heavy drain to sanity so this option is not advised.

8. Conserve your oil carefully(duh), if you don't NEED to use a tinderbox or your lantern to see something, maintain sanity DON'T
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2011, 05:23 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
04-19-2011, 04:09 AM
Website Find
ferryadams10 Offline

Threads: 40

I think Hunter of Shadows got a better tip for u hahaBig Grin

And if u read this plz check out my "I Need A StoryBuild Team" post

Got a nice sofa
Please come and have a seat for a while

04-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

(04-15-2011, 03:54 AM)SirFC Wrote: I am very new to the game and I have just entered the Machine Room area. But prior to this, I got confused a lot and played very cautiously. Is it norm to play like that? Here is the first part to my play through and you can kind of tell what im saying by watching some parts of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-aVgejPSKg

Any tips and advice are really helpful all! And if you have any suggestions on how to play, I am doing a series on this game so please let me and sub to see more, really appreciate any help! Thanks all,

From, Needsnewshorts, FC.

Don't worry, I played that slowly, if not slower. xD And Daniel on shrooms...? Tongue
04-21-2011, 01:20 AM
Find
Dragslo Offline

Threads: 0

I wouldn't call you newbie coming all that way, by that part in the game, you already know enough to be safe Tongue but rushing is the worst, unless there's parts you really have too

*SPOILER*

Waterpart....xD

*SPOILER END*

If someone annoys you, you either know nothing about them or everything
04-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Website Find
LucaP1000 Offline

Threads: 5

Other tips:
1. READ ALL THE NOTES! If you don't do that, you probably won't understand a shit of the plot.
2. You'd better close the lantern immediately if there's a monster.
3. Try not to panic. Too much players panic and, obiviously, they get killed by the monsters. You must try to stay the most calm as you can. Daniel,'s sanity already goes down, you don't want to ruin your real sanity, won't ya?Tongue
4. As soon as you enter a place, try to understand if it is safe or not.
5. Remember: if you are starting to feel unsafe and distressed in the game, this feeling will never leave you again.Cool

[Image: classic-76561198012894588.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2011, 10:58 AM by LucaP1000.)
06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Find
Leu Radu Offline

My advice: when things turn out bad... RUUUUUUN!!!
06-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Find
smapho123 Offline

Once you get past the prison you will encounter brutes, the second type of monster. These guys can one shot you if you're not at absolutely full health. They are much harder to hear and their music is much less obvious. You have to listen closely to them (especially in the choir, where there are many of them).

Death is the final unknown.
06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Find