Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for a newbie?
SirFC Offline

Threads: 1
Tips for a newbie?

I am very new to the game and I have just entered the Machine Room area. But prior to this, I got confused a lot and played very cautiously. Is it norm to play like that? Here is the first part to my play through and you can kind of tell what im saying by watching some parts of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-aVgejPSKg

Any tips and advice are really helpful all! And if you have any suggestions on how to play, I am doing a series on this game so please let me and sub to see more, really appreciate any help! Thanks all,

From, Needsnewshorts, FC.
04-15-2011, 03:54 AM
Find
Serena Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Tips for a newbie?

Nothing at all wrong with playing cautiously - there's a LOT of atmosphere to absorb while you do. On the other hand, sometimes stumbling and harried can be a lot of fun.

Personally I found that not knowing if I should be rushing or not made things all the more nerve-wracking x.x
04-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Find
eiahmon Offline

Threads: 13

My best advice for you is to listen. Have a good pair of headphones and use them. Not only does this allow you to hear the totally awesome soundtrack and nerve wracking sound effects, but sound also gives you that split second warning whenever a monster is in the area.

Have fun! Smile

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
04-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Find
Brennenburg Offline

Threads: 9

If there is a monster near, HIDE IN THE CLOSEST CLOSET!

[Image: TRcp2.png]
04-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Find
SirFC Offline

(04-16-2011, 06:27 AM)eiahmon Wrote: My best advice for you is to listen. Have a good pair of headphones and use them. Not only does this allow you to hear the totally awesome soundtrack and nerve wracking sound effects, but sound also gives you that split second warning whenever a monster is in the area.

Have fun! Smile

If my stupid audio port would work I would use my Turtle Beaches but sadly it doesnt. Sad
04-17-2011, 02:58 AM
Find
eiahmon Offline

(04-17-2011, 02:58 AM)SirFC Wrote:
(04-16-2011, 06:27 AM)eiahmon Wrote: My best advice for you is to listen. Have a good pair of headphones and use them. Not only does this allow you to hear the totally awesome soundtrack and nerve wracking sound effects, but sound also gives you that split second warning whenever a monster is in the area.

Have fun! Smile

If my stupid audio port would work I would use my Turtle Beaches but sadly it doesnt. Sad

Nooooooooo!

Please tell me you have something that you can use. Sound is so essential to the game's atmosphere, and the occasional "RAWR!" is sometimes the only warning you have before a monster pops up in your face.

04-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Find
Ratsneve Offline

What's wrong with speakers if you don't have headphones (yet) and can get a fair stereo affect from them? Is running away in the right direction from a monster sound so critical that you don't have the time?

~Ratsneve~
04-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Find
Ratsneve Offline

What's wrong with speakers if you don't have headphones (yet) and can get a fair stereo affect from them? Is running away in the right direction from a monster sound so critical that you don't have the time?
(04-17-2011, 06:59 PM)Ratsneve Wrote: What's wrong with speakers if you don't have headphones (yet) and can get a fair stereo affect from them? Is running away in the right direction from a monster sound so critical that you don't have the time?
Sorry, I don't know why (yet) that this posted twice. I tried to Delete it but I'm not allowed to do that (yet?).

~Ratsneve~
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2011, 07:06 PM by Ratsneve.)
04-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Find
eiahmon Offline

(04-17-2011, 06:59 PM)Ratsneve Wrote: What's wrong with speakers if you don't have headphones (yet) and can get a fair stereo affect from them? Is running away in the right direction from a monster sound so critical that you don't have the time?
Sorry, I don't know why (yet) that this posted twice. I tried to Delete it but I'm not allowed to do that (yet?).

Nothing wrong with speakers if you have a good set. I used speakers a time or two while playing, but if you have background noise (neighborhood traffic, dogs barking, loud music, etc) then it can make it hard to hear the game.

Are you using IE9 by chance? Ever since I upgraded to get away from the resource hog that IE8 was, it's been double posting. To post here, I have to use Firefox, which I don't like doing because Firefox is slower and unstable on my comp for some reason.

04-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Find
Ratsneve Offline

(04-18-2011, 12:04 AM)eiahmon Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 06:59 PM)Ratsneve Wrote: Sorry, I don't know why (yet) that this posted twice. I tried to Delete it but I'm not allowed to do that (yet?).
Nothing wrong with speakers if you have a good set. I used speakers a time or two while playing, but if you have background noise (neighborhood traffic, dogs barking, loud music, etc) then it can make it hard to hear the game.

Are you using IE9 by chance? Ever since I upgraded to get away from the resource hog that IE8 was, it's been double posting. To post here, I have to use Firefox, which I don't like doing because Firefox is slower and unstable on my comp for some reason.
I'll stick with speakers for this game then. I have a quiet neighborhood and my ears so far don't like any headsets I've tried and start hurting to make me darn sure I'm aware of it.

Yes! I just switched to IE9 the other day. I'll look and see if this reply double-posts too. Just noted that on the Steam forum my recent posts there did not double so it may be pecular to this type of forum here?

~Ratsneve~
04-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Find