Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Do you want to see a Video tutorial on scripting.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
50.00%
9 50.00%
No
50.00%
9 50.00%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scripting needs to become easier!
Rigi Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Scripting needs to become easier!

Well, there are people like me who, without a mentor, won't be able to even figure out how to approach the basics. Yeah, it's sad, but true that scripting may be only easy once you've figured it out, which can be hard.
04-24-2011, 03:11 AM
Find
laser50 Offline

Threads: 22

Maybe there should be another Sub-forum called Tutorials or something, I dunno.
04-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Find
Lexander.R Offline

Threads: 1

I agree with most people on this thread, scripting is REALLY easy once you know the basics. I know the tutorials can be confusing though because when i was learning scripting i was like 'Wait, What does this all mean?'.
I prefer written tutorials to youtube videos though because you can read at your own pace. Go look at some of the pages that have been written up for tutorials on scripting. A good one is: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...t_beginner

(Ignore all the stuff about setting up a dev setup blabla bla and dont or do usse notepad, just go straight to where it starts going on about scripting Smile)
04-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Find
Dalroc Offline

Threads: 2

Too all you people whining, get of your asses and actually look for some simple guides or something and you WILL get it.. It is super easy.
Try reading this thread by MrBigzy for example.

Also, for people who have just started out. Try using flowcharts to make the problem more understandable, before you dive head first into scripting.
By doing this you will divide the problem into smaller parts and you will basically build your script graphically. Then you just have to rewrite your flowchart into AngelScript.

The only thing stopping you is you, scripting is easy if you actually try.

EDIT:
(04-24-2011, 09:22 AM)Lexander.R Wrote: (Ignore all the stuff about setting up a dev setup blabla bla and dont or do usse notepad, just go straight to where it starts going on about scripting Smile)
Do NOT do this. Not having dev environment set up will make your life a hell trying out your maps and scripts. You will make errors in your script ALL THE TIME, and you don't wanna have to restart your game for every little change?
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2011, 11:29 AM by Dalroc.)
04-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Find