Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New/custom sounds for player?
AttackBadger Offline

Threads: 1
New/custom sounds for player?

Hey. I was curious, is it possible to replace some of the UI sounds with something else?

Specifically, I want to replace the sanity damage sounds with...well, just about anything else, really.

The sound of teeth gnashing or whatever it is he's doing drives me clean up the wall, and really breaks my immersion. Angry Plus it means I can't play for more than about 20 minutes or so without getting a headache from just listening to him do it.

Or, alternatively, is it possible to simply remove those sound files without mucking up the game?
01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

Threads: 20
RE: New/custom sounds for player?

the best option, is find those sounds (.ogg format) and copy the names into a note pad or something
then delete the files

then select a different noise that you do like, copy it for every file you deleted and rename them to the ones you deleted
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2011, 11:21 AM by DIGI Byte.)
01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Find
AttackBadger Offline

Threads: 1

Thanks!

I also poked around on the wiki and tried changing the volume in the .snt files to 0.0, that seems to have worked also. Only bad part there is the wiki didn't actually tell me I could edit .snt's with notepad.

I may eventually replace them with something else, but for now this works too. Just have to find some suitable sound effects.
01-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Find
Silene Offline

Threads: 0

I'm bumping this thread because I have the exact same problem, and editing the .snt does not appear to fix anything. I've replaced the files, tried assigning different files, tried setting the volume to zero... no luck.

I'd love to play this game, but just as with AttackBadger, the gnashing as soon as the player enters darkness completely breaks my immersion (as well as making me nauseous and my teeth hurt).

I have the game on Steam, in case that's a different situation than retail...

Launching the game after trying every variable for modding the files directly and still hearing that terrible sound has discouraged me; I would really love to experience this game, as I loved Penumbra, but am afraid I cannot, with these terrible gnashing sounds (sanity_flick[1-5].ogg)...
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2011, 04:37 AM by Silene.)
04-25-2011, 04:34 AM
Find
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12

Silene, if you want to get rid of those sounds, have you tried just taking them out of the amnesia folder completely? You don't necessarily have to delete them, but if you just want to get rid of the sound, well, it can't play a sound it can't find, right?

04-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Find
Silene Offline

Threads: 0

Anxt - yes, I have tried that. What this tells me is that the files are being loaded from somewhere else, but I can't seem to find where, or if it's possible to tell the game to load the files in the sounds folder.

I suppose it's possible the sounds exist in another folder, duplicated, and I've yet to find them...

Thankyou for the response. I hope to get to the bottom of this...
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2011, 06:09 AM by Silene.)
04-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Find