Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.mat files
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
.mat files

So, as some of you may know, I released my demo recently with a few custom models and textures. But I've been told that they don't appear for other people. I believe the problem is the .mat files. They're basically text files that indicate which textures to use on a model.

They explicitly state the path of the textures to use, but the problem is that my texture's path will be different from others, because the game may be installed in a different directory than mine.

How do I counter this? I opened up a .mat file from Amnesia's game files and it just said the filename, without the path, as in

File="bed_nice.dds"

I tried doing that for my custom model's mat files but I think it broke something. I started being unable to open the map in the level editor, because it was crashing and listing a very VERY long list of errors...

I'll tinker with it some more, but does anyone here know how I can integrate custom models with my story? I know that I can't place entities in my level that are directly from the custom story files; they need to be in the Amnesia game files to work. But the problem is that my game files have different paths than many of the folks who play this game...

04-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18
RE: .mat files

Hmm...as long as the texture is in the same folder in the root directory of Amnesia, it should be fine. All of the materials for my custom's are like that too. I'd go to a stretch that as long as you do that and the dds is in the same folder as the mat (as well as everything else), it'll be fine.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2011, 08:31 PM by MrBigzy.)
04-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: .mat files

I sent a map with all of my custom models on it to a friend, but he said that he only could see a single model, which I used an Amnesia texture for. Its .mat file said

G:/amnesia/redist/entities/bottle/chemical_jars/chemical_jar_purp.dds

for the texture. The other models' .mat files just said the actual file's name, without its path, like so:

chemical_jar_purp.dds

but didn't show up.

Question for the devs: when I create a mat file for a custom model, what do I need the texture paths to be? The custom models seem to work fine for me, but not for anyone else. Should I make the path G:/amnesia/redist/x/x/x/modeltexture.dds, etc for them?

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2011, 03:49 PM by palistov.)
04-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Find