Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Random Encounters?
Cactus Offline

Threads: 2
Random Encounters?

Hey guys,

I saw a post on Gamefaqs via a google search today, but it dated back to 2010, and the guy said a dev confirmed that monster encounters were "random" so to speak. As in, sometimes monsters appear in some places and sometimes they do not. Was this ever actually confirmed and if so how does it work? Seems like a fantastic reason to get a few replays in.
04-26-2011, 03:23 AM
Find
Dragslo Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Random Encounters?

Only thing I experience, is if I load a previous saved level, the monster doesn't encounter same place or time
It makes me relived at some point, but then again, stressed because I know it's elsewhere.......!

If someone annoys you, you either know nothing about them or everything
04-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Website Find
SomeFungi Offline

Threads: 0

(04-26-2011, 03:32 AM)Dragslo Wrote: Only thing I experience, is if I load a previous saved level, the monster doesn't encounter same place or time
It makes me relived at some point, but then again, stressed because I know it's elsewhere.......!

I haven't seen an official response about it, but I've seen other people talk about the random monsters before. In fact, one of the user reviews at the escapist talks about it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/r...rk-Descent

Quote:Monsters don't roam around all the time, in fact they often appear at random
04-26-2011, 03:47 AM
Find
Cactus Offline

Threads: 2

Hmmm, thanks. The fact that you re-load a level and find monsters in different locations is certainly promising, to be sure. Thanks for that review too!
04-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Find
NGW Offline

Threads: 13

They're definitely somewhat random. Such as when you get the key from the guest room, you usually encounter a grunt...most recent time through there, nothing.

[Image: ngweyesigcopy.jpg]
04-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Find
nofsky Offline

Most enemy encounters seem to occur every time you play but some things only happen if your sanity is low enough so that might be seen as being random.
04-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Actually none of them are really random...They're all scripted to occur when a) items are picked up/interacted with, b) you enter certain areas, or c) either a, b or both in some cases but contingent on how low your sanity is.

As per the grunt spawning when you pick up the key in the guest room, it occurs after a short time interval when either performing that action, reading the note, or stepping in front of the closet. If you grab the key quickly enough and dash out of the room you can in fact by-pass the scripted event.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2011, 02:37 PM by gandalf91.)
04-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Find
MooseTheScared Offline

Threads: 1

I think at least the Choir has some randomness regarding monsters.
Spoiler below!

During my first play-through I encountered them 3 or 4 times (and if I remember it correctly, there were both grunts and brutes), while during the second play-through I encountered only 2 brutes. One brute appeared when I spent some time crouching near the fallen column somewhere in the middle of the Choir, I think. I didn't do anything that could obviously cause him spawn, so I was caught unawares.

04-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Find