Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Anyone need help?
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36
RE: Anyone need help?

(05-10-2011, 03:19 AM)cook Wrote: On using the AddEnemyPatrolNode("servant_brute_2", "PathNodeArea_303", 0.0f, ""); command, it is not generating a path node file in my maps folder, is this normal?

It truely doesn't matter. If it works in-game, then you have nothing to worry about. :p

05-10-2011, 03:36 AM
Find
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12

I figure this thread is as good a place to post this as a new thread itself, so here it goes:

I need to give a grunt an impulse. As in, send it flying backwards, forwards, upwards, I don't care really, but I need it to move out of an area after despawning, because it is interfering with my other scripts if it stays in it. I have tried both AddPropImpulse and AddBodyImpulse, with values of 9000*2.5f, and I see no movement.

Can grunts be given impulses, or are enemies immune to that sort of thing?

05-10-2011, 04:09 AM
Find
Ge15t Offline

Threads: 8

(05-10-2011, 03:19 AM)cook Wrote: On using the AddEnemyPatrolNode("servant_brute_2", "PathNodeArea_303", 0.0f, ""); command, it is not generating a path node file in my maps folder, is this normal?

Does the pathnode still work? ie, does the brute still use the pathnode normally and correctly? If it doesnt, copy/paste your script in here so kyle can see it Tongue

OT: I have an area which blows open a door for me, but I want to change it so that the area doesnt activate until I have been into another room and picked up a note.. can you set me straight with the right functions?
05-10-2011, 05:31 AM
Find
csm Offline

Threads: 0

I have completely no clue what I am doing when I am using the LevelEditor. I have watched videos on youtube but I just don't know how to start.
05-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Find
cook Offline

Threads: 6

It uses 300 nodes, basically copy and paste that one line 300 times in order from 300-1.

It's a giant staircase that goes around in circles, the brute follows me for a while, but eventually ends up trying to follow me through a giant gap in the stairs and just walks into the railings, also, he only follows say 8 or so nodes at a time when I check in the debug(the nodes turn purple).
05-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

(05-10-2011, 04:09 AM)Anxt Wrote: I figure this thread is as good a place to post this as a new thread itself, so here it goes:

I need to give a grunt an impulse. As in, send it flying backwards, forwards, upwards, I don't care really, but I need it to move out of an area after despawning, because it is interfering with my other scripts if it stays in it. I have tried both AddPropImpulse and AddBodyImpulse, with values of 9000*2.5f, and I see no movement.

Can grunts be given impulses, or are enemies immune to that sort of thing?

You may be able to replace the grunt body with a ragdoll of it. But to know the exact location of where the grunt is at a certain time would be tricky. Unless he is following the path nodes perfectly. Or if you force the player to look somewhere else and then it somehow flys back, making sure the player didn't see the switch between the monster and it's ragdoll. But it depends if the monster is running at the player or is just following it's path nodes.

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-7566.html

You probably already seen the grunt ragdoll. But if the monster isn't a grunt, then I guess you'll have to use MrBigzy's tutorial on how to make the monster be a ragdoll.

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...tutorial_2
(05-10-2011, 08:07 AM)cook Wrote: It uses 300 nodes, basically copy and paste that one line 300 times in order from 300-1.

It's a giant staircase that goes around in circles, the brute follows me for a while, but eventually ends up trying to follow me through a giant gap in the stairs and just walks into the railings, also, he only follows say 8 or so nodes at a time when I check in the debug(the nodes turn purple).

Perhaps the nodes aren't placed correctly? Maybe you have too many? Making a monster follow the player up a staircase is much harder to do. Wouldn't you have to put each individual node on a different step? Maybe it doesn't recognize the stairs correctly as something it can go up? I'll have to think about this...
(05-10-2011, 06:25 AM)csm Wrote: I have completely no clue what I am doing when I am using the LevelEditor. I have watched videos on youtube but I just don't know how to start.

So you want to use the Level Editor. First, it is a good idea to create a shortcut of it so you can easily access it from your desktop instead of having to go through all of Amnesia's file to find it, not like it's that hard to find, but still.

In the level editor, on the left side of it, there are buttons. Each one has a name if you place your mouse on one of them. The Select one is used for selecting objects in the editor. Lights are used to brighten up the place, for there are different kinds of lights, like a box light, point light, and spot light. Billboards are used for creating lighting effects, if I can basically say. Particles are used to create other effects like dust, water dripping, water falling, and many other things. Sounds are used to make the game scary, mostly.

Static objects, entities, and planes are used for creating most of the level's structure. A plane is used for creating the ground, static objects are usually static (not moving), and entities can usually be interacted with in some way. When creating a plane, find the category on the left side and click it. Now on the right side, click "Material" and go scroll down to "Static Objects", then to "castlebase", then to "floor", then click on "castlebase_tiledfloor02.mat". Press OK. Once you get your screen set up, you can click and drag the size of your floor. Congratz!

In the middle of the screen, move your mouse into the 4th quadrant (bottom right box) and hit the spacebar. The screen should become enlarged for that one box. Hold the "ALT" key, and click and drag the mouse. You should be moving the screen. You can use your mouse wheel to zoom in and out, or you can hold the "ALT" key and hold the right click mouse button to zoom in and out.

When you click on the "Select" button, you can click on the floor and you will be able to move, rotate, or resize it. The shortcuts are, the "Q" key, to move, the "W" key, to rotate, and the "E" key, to resize.
I hope this helps! Smile

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 11:11 AM by Kyle.)
05-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Find
Dominic0904 Offline

Threads: 14

How do I get the sound "scare_scratch.snt" to stop after a certain number of seconds? I thought adding a Timer with a StopSound function would work, but it doesn't do anything when I run it. It doesn't give me any errors, but the sound does not stop.

Here is what my code looks like (did not include all of it, just the relevant code).

void LoadScaryEvent_02(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)
{

PlaySoundAtEntity("", "scare_scratch.snt", "Player", 0, false);
GiveSanityDamage(30, true);
PlaySoundAtEntity("", "react_scare.snt", "Player", 0, false);
AddTimer("", 3.0f, "stopscratch");
}

void stopscratch(string &in asTimer)
{
StopSound("scare_scratch.snt", 1.0f);
}
05-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

It should work, maybe it's a broken line of code that's impossible to use? I remember I had a repeating sound to play of a ticking when the player pulls a lever and I wanted it to stop after 10 seconds. I have an idea. Try using "03_wall_scratch.snt", it sounds like the sound you want, and it doesn't repeat. So make a loop and then break the loop once the timer runs out of time.

At the bottom of the first page, there is the answer. I don't really have time to set it up for your situation, so I'll give you the link. If you can't figure it out, I'll come back and try to help you in maybe a little over 4 hours. Smile

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-7889.html

05-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Find
Dominic0904 Offline

Threads: 14

Cool, thanks again dude

*wait 20 seconds...*

ok here is another rather silly problem....I have a servant grunt entity that sets itself to active. But once it becomes active, he activates facing the wall ((player is in a corridor)). And the distance the trigger happens, facing the wall means he just stands there and doesn't detect the player. Now the way I placed him down actual has him facing the right way. But it's just when i test the map he appears facing the wall...odd?
05-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Maybe something caught the monster's attention the other way? :p

You can try this, it should give the monster the player's position.

ShowEnemyPlayerPosition(string& asName);

ShowEnemyPlayerPosition("Monster");

05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Find