Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused about starting scripting?...
willochill Offline

Threads: 27
Confused about starting scripting?...

Hey so i just finished designing my first level in the hpl level editor, but i still haven't done any kind of scripting, so i wanted to get started on that and i read through the scripting tutorial in the wiki and it said that you need to have the map open in Amnesia when your scripting for the map in the editor.... this really confused me, mainly because i cant have amnesia running and go back to my desktop and do something else at the same time (i have a mac btw), second why would you need to do that, i mean i guess you could fix mistakes but like i dont think when youre walking through it testing it in Amnesia that anything would change unless you quit out of Amnesia and got back in amnesia after saving the map in the editor.. idk can u just explain this whole concept of keeping amnesia running for me? thx
05-08-2011, 03:29 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Confused about starting scripting?...

I'm not running Amnesia while scripting. I'm not using a dev environment either. Script & edit as you please. The wiki is presenting general tips for making things easier for you, not requirements Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

05-08-2011, 03:42 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

I recommend running amnesia on windowed mode (makes alt tabbing a lot faster) and also using quick map reload your little scripting errors don't force you to open whole amnesia again after crash. Anyways checking in game what you have done as quick as possible is very useful.
05-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Find
Roenlond Offline

Threads: 3

Once you start scripting, you will encounter errors. IF there is an error in your script, amnesia will just crash when you try to load the map. If you instead have a dev environment set up and keep amnesia running with a working/empty script (so that you can actually start the game correctly) and you reload the game from within it, amnesia will not crash but instead just give you an error report.

So: if you start the game after scripting, you will crash and be forced to reload it every time you try to fix it.

If you keep the game running in windowed mode, you can simply reload from within it and not have to restart the game, making debugging a lot less painful and a lot quicker.
05-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

Also, for the purposes of testing keep your gamma set to one, if you do somehow make the game crash - you won't have to mess about resetting your gamma.
05-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Find