Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Denying fear? Mind over matter? Does it work for you?
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

Threads: 23
RE: Denying fear? Mind over matter? Does it work for you?

Umm, I'm not afraid of this game. I laugh when I die. It truly is funny if you think about it. Funny in a gruesome way.

Some guy is running through a castle while he runs away from a guy with his jaw ripped off and a guy with his face so strange looking that he sounds like a cow.

I was playing Justine yesterday. I built a tower up to the place with the wax cylinder and boxes, then I went to the first cell to the left and ran up and climbed up there. I threw a boc at Alois (the enemy) and he said "You came for me!" I started laughing. He decided it would be smart to spin in a circle, so he did and it looked like he was a pretty good dancer, so I jumped on his head and got to study the things he says without being killed. I even passed out a few times ontop of him. And when I ran away, i ran around the small corner, crouched, and he started hitting the wall repetedly. I wasn'y scared at all, i was laughing.

This game really isn't scary. But it's fun, it's beautiful, and it's amazing! Well sure sometimes you can get a little bit scared but I don't really. Penumbra Overture is the scariest game for me because DOGS ARE REAL. I've seen a dog. But never a flappyjaw. So he doesn't scare me.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2011, 03:46 PM by imgoneimdead.)
12-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(12-26-2011, 03:43 PM)Dagrocks Wrote: Umm, I'm not afraid of this game. I laugh when I die. It truly is funny if you think about it. Funny in a gruesome way.

Some guy is running through a castle while he runs away from a guy with his jaw ripped off and a guy with his face so strange looking that he sounds like a cow.

I was playing Justine yesterday. I built a tower up to the place with the wax cylinder and boxes, then I went to the first cell to the left and ran up and climbed up there. I threw a boc at Alois (the enemy) and he said "You came for me!" I started laughing. He decided it would be smart to spin in a circle, so he did and it looked like he was a pretty good dancer, so I jumped on his head and got to study the things he says without being killed. I even passed out a few times ontop of him. And when I ran away, i ran around the small corner, crouched, and he started hitting the wall repetedly. I wasn'y scared at all, i was laughing.

This game really isn't scary. But it's fun, it's beautiful, and it's amazing! Well sure sometimes you can get a little bit scared but I don't really. Penumbra Overture is the scariest game for me because DOGS ARE REAL. I've seen a dog. But never a flappyjaw. So he doesn't scare me.

Holy shit... I just facepalmed so hard... there's now a red hand mark on my face. Thanks, for that.

Posting Freak
12-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Website Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

(12-26-2011, 04:39 PM)kman Wrote:
(12-26-2011, 03:43 PM)Dagrocks Wrote: -Me saying a bunch of shtuff-

Holy shit... I just facepalmed so hard... there's now a red hand mark on my face. Thanks, for that.

Wait wah... Did i just tell you how to get the wax cylinder?... Oh uhh...
12-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(12-27-2011, 06:30 AM)Dagrocks Wrote:

... wow. i just facepalmed even HARDER! i didn't even know that was possible!

Posting Freak
12-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Website Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

(12-27-2011, 05:30 PM)kman Wrote:
(12-27-2011, 06:30 AM)Dagrocks Wrote:

... wow. i just facepalmed even HARDER! i didn't even know that was possible!
... Uhhh... I liked your map in 24 hour amnesia?... :S
12-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Find
Carrna Offline

Threads: 0

Sometimes it works, but I'd rather not to do it. I'm enjoying entertainment more when I forget the real world around me and think I'm part of the story. It's even easier in Penumbra and Amnesia since you can't see the main characters at all.

I get often weird looks from people I play games or watch movies with if they don't know me. I'm cheering if something goes well, worrying about my fav characters' survival and telling the annoying ones to screw themselves if they do something nasty to my favourites.

"It's just a game/movie."

Yeah, so? I think it's plain boring to sit there completely emotionless and think "It's not real" if something happens that's about to make you sad, happy or afraid etc. I'm over twenty and still refusing to grow up. Dodgy

Fortunately this hasn't happened too often, but when I'm about to get stuck because of shitting too much bricks I'm putting lights on and singing something stupid while going on. Big Grin

~
12-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Website Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

With Amnesia I could, but with real life horror movies (I mean like movies like the Last Exorcism, it was recorded in RL than edited, but it still has the real life footage, not like a animated movie like (for example) The Simpsons Movie. I mean that movie isn't scary, but if they deliberatly tried to make a scary Simpsons, it wouldn't work on me because it's animated) I can't just go "Okay it was a movie get over it." Because some of those things in the movie could literally happen.

After watching the Last Exorcism, I literally could not sleep because of that creepy ass girl, and the cat killing scene, because someone could actually go insane and do that, and it freaked me out to think "Okay that shit could be real". So basically:

Real Life stuff - Nope, I can't do it.

Animated Movies and Games - Yeah, I can, unless it's really close to reality.

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
12-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Find
Dynomite33 Offline

Threads: 5

(05-08-2011, 12:07 AM)Disruption Wrote: Can anyone deny the emotion of fear wile playing Amnesia? Can you just tell yourself it's just a game and refuse to be afraid? If not, what do you think it is about Amnesia that convinces our minds it's a real threat?
I can. But only if I force my mind to go blank. once I do, I hear the screechy sound from being chased by the monster and my head starts to dip as if I'm going to pass out.
NOTE: I only do this when I have to, ex. when there is a monster right outside and it wont go away

12-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Find
PandaXIII Offline

Threads: 2

My Brother when he played: Dodgy

Me when I play: *walking against the wall incredibly slowly* "Okay... I'm alright." *something scary happens* *instantly hit the tab (inventory) button and stay paused for about 10 minutes*

I think what I love about getting scared in Amnesia though is how right after you get freaked out you have to laugh at yourself for getting scared in the first place. ^_^;;
01-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

Denying fear? What's the point of playing horror game then?
Amnesia doesn't give me the feeling of horror/terror anymore, because of that I've made some custom stories and now I'm working on a mod, so I know what is going to happen in some ways when I play for example downloaded custom story.
For example picking up a item would cause the enemy spawn somewhere, etc...
Amnesia was a lot of scarier when I didn't know how things work (scripts, areas, etc development stuff...).

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Website Find