Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
saving .hps files in mac textedit
willochill Offline

Threads: 27
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago saving .hps files in mac textedit

hi i just began scripting some levels in amnesia editor, but all i have is textedit so i did it in that. problem is, i can't figure out how to save a script file as a .hps file in textedit. help!
also, for a script file to correspond to a map do you just need to name the script file the same thing as the map? or do u need to do some other extra setup to connect the two?
05-10-2011, 03:28 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: saving .hps files in mac textedit

You have to make sure that the text is "plain text" which you can set in the Format menu, then when you save you have to type the .hps as an extension. By default Textedit will append a .txt extension so you have to remove that part of the file name (in the Finder menu, under preferences you can turn on show file extensions.). You can change the default behavior of Textedit in the preferences, under Open and Save where you can uncheck the box that auto adds .txt extensions.

It might be better to use another text editor like Smultron or TextWrangler as they can color the text and do other things making it easier to script.
05-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Website Find
willochill Offline

Threads: 27

(05-10-2011, 06:03 AM)jens Wrote: You have to make sure that the text is "plain text" which you can set in the Format menu, then when you save you have to type the .hps as an extension. By default Textedit will append a .txt extension so you have to remove that part of the file name (in the Finder menu, under preferences you can turn on show file extensions.). You can change the default behavior of Textedit in the preferences, under Open and Save where you can uncheck the box that auto adds .txt extensions.

It might be better to use another text editor like Smultron or TextWrangler as they can color the text and do other things making it easier to script.

well do you have to color different sections of text when scripting, or can it be all black?
also i had another question, to make a script file correspond to a certain map to you just need to save the script file with the same name as the map or do you need to do some other setup?
05-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Find
The Dark Master Offline

Threads: 0

bro, just use Unitron, it is already an app on your mac! SCREW TEXTEDIT!
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2011, 01:31 PM by The Dark Master.)
08-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Find
zekex944resurrection Offline

Threads: 1

(05-10-2011, 06:03 AM)jens Wrote: You have to make sure that the text is "plain text" which you can set in the Format menu, then when you save you have to type the .hps as an extension. By default Textedit will append a .txt extension so you have to remove that part of the file name (in the Finder menu, under preferences you can turn on show file extensions.). You can change the default behavior of Textedit in the preferences, under Open and Save where you can uncheck the box that auto adds .txt extensions.

do i just save it right to the custom story folder under the name of my custom story are their any tutorials for mac users
05-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(05-04-2012, 02:30 PM)zekex944resurrection Wrote: do i just save it right to the custom story folder under the name of my custom story are their any tutorials for mac users
I think it's the same for Mac users as for PC users:
Use a text editor that is capable of saving in plain text (.txt) and save it with a custom .hps extension in the same folder as your .map file. If the editor won't allow you to change the extension, then just save it as plain text (.txt) and rename it afterwards.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

05-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Find
Demondays1 Offline

Threads: 7

use UltraEdit, Its like Notepad++

Intel HD Lag fix: tiny.cc/pyv1gw
06-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Find