Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chains
Exostalker Offline

Threads: 10
Chains

I need to make some hanging chains, like in the storage map from official game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCRiMl-Gm1E

I opened this map with level editor, but I can't understand how is the chain created... there are no entities, there is only a script area, another area and black box, so you couldn't walk past it... then I tried to open .hps file, but I didn't find anything in there with the chains either, only some sounds which are played if you are next to them or so...

So I need some help to understand how is it working at all Undecided

05-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36
RE: Chains

Entities --> Equipment --> chain_pipe01, chain_pipe02, chain_pipe03

Or,

Go to areas and then go to rope. It is complicated to explain, but it deals with creating a rope, editing it to where it is a chain, and then to set up its starting point and ending point. And they made it to where when the player touches it, it plays this sound: general_chain_rattle_single.snt

05-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Find
Exostalker Offline

After some trying, I still can't get the same effect that I want... I can't even get the chain to show up, if I set it up with rope area (which wasn't even used in storage map)... And this:
Entities --> Equipment --> chain_pipe01, chain_pipe02, chain_pipe03
is not a chain I want, this is for certain machines/quests I guess...

05-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Alright, I think I can do it. Just hold on a second.

Go to areas, click on rope. Place the rope at the place where you want it to hang from. Go back to areas and create a PosNode where you want the rope to end. Try to keep it aligned with the rope area. Go to the rope's properties and where it says "EndPosNode", put in the PosNode area's name in it. The "StartBody" and "EndBody" could be left blank unless you want it to hold something. Where it says "RopeFile",click on the "..." and go find the "misc" folder and then click on "rope_default_chain.rope". You need to create a script area and place it in the area where the player will walk into the chain causing it to move.

Part 2 in another minute.

Also about the rope's properties, you can edit stiffness and everything else if you want to, but it's not of a necessity. Now you need to script. Go into your script and add this also plugging a few things in to fit your needs.

void OnStart()
{
     PreloadSound("general_chain_rattle_single.snt");
     AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "ScriptArea_1", "Function01", true, 1);
}
void Function01(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)
{
     PlaySoundAtEntity("", "general_chain_rattle_single.snt", "ScriptArea_1", 0, false);
}

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2011, 06:07 PM by Kyle.)
05-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Find
Exostalker Offline

I didn't even know that you edited your post, so I tried many things... and after merging what developers did and that rope area... I got it working... Guess I am quite lucky this time Big Grin

Thanks for that anyways, I will try your method too... I will see which one looks better Smile

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2011, 08:54 PM by Exostalker.)
05-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Okay, cool. I'm happy you got it working. Smile

05-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Find