Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
new patch = crashing
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: new patch = crashing

(05-20-2011, 09:40 AM)jens Wrote: You have to ask Steam about that Smile

Oh sorry, I though FG was responsible for these updates and downgrades but anyway - it's not important.

@ winterghost: We need the HPL.log file from Documents>Amnesia folder. I told you how to make it small and easier for us to read but if you want to give us the big one just upload it to megaupload.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2011, 09:51 AM by plutomaniac.)
05-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Find
winterghost Offline

Threads: 1

oh the hpl is isn't big it was the saved errorlog that I was trying to add, I didn't know about the hpl one, here it is.

I'm really puzzled about the steam thing because as I said it worked perfectly before it was patched so I don't understand this at all.

**edit**
My files still have the short stories in them so I'm not sure the version I downloaded was the old version because those were brought in with the patch right? I'm going to try reinstalling again in case they reverted it after I reinstalled.
(05-20-2011, 09:51 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: @ winterghost: We need the HPL.log file from Documents>Amnesia folder. I told you how to make it small and easier for us to read but if you want to give us the big one just upload it to megaupload.

Er if you're just another player why do you need to read it at all? o.O

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 6.98 KB / Downloads: 95)
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2011, 01:58 AM by winterghost.)
05-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Find
winterghost Offline

So it's still crashing after I reinstalled again.
I also noticed the short stories are there again, which makes me wonder if the UK steam is still patching it, is there some way to tell what version I have? I can't see anything obvious to tell me but the fact the short stories are there seems to imply it is 1.2

Hmm it also lets me pick Russian as a language so I'm pretty sure this is the patched game.

Assuming it is 1.2, again, I ask is anyone looking into this?
It dosen't seem like I'm the only one having these crashing issues and right now the game is pretty much unplayable for me.

**edit**
I created a new game save and then checked the HPL and it definitely says it's 1.2, so steam UK at least is using the newer version.
Additionally this new save game was, I think, the first time since the patch that the game saved and exited without crashing which makes me wonder if there is an issue with save games from the earlier version?

have added the new hpl to show it working with the new save in case that helps.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 20.63 KB / Downloads: 103)
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2011, 03:27 AM by winterghost.)
05-21-2011, 02:53 AM
Find
Mihanick Offline

(05-21-2011, 02:53 AM)winterghost Wrote: is there some way to tell what version I have?
You post above in the file "hpl.log" is written:
Quote:Version 1.10
-------- THE HPL ENGINE LOG ------------
Engine build ID 20101021192547
05-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Find
winterghost Offline

Actually when I created a new save game it showed that in fact it is 1.2

Version 1.20

I'm not sure why it showed as 1.1 when I just had my old save game, but as I said it included all the new stuff from 1.2 so it was clearly 1.2 despite that.

**edit**
oh and thank you for telling me how to find it Smile

(05-21-2011, 03:18 AM)Mihanick Wrote:
(05-21-2011, 02:53 AM)winterghost Wrote: is there some way to tell what version I have?
You post above in the file "hpl.log" is written:
Quote:Version 1.10

The old save game crashed again so I'm including the latest hpl.log for it because it shows 1.2 and presumably the crash too.
Sorry for all the attachments, I just don't know what is useful.
I also rechecked the cache again and it still says it's fine.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 6.7 KB / Downloads: 101)
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2011, 03:53 AM by winterghost.)
05-21-2011, 03:29 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(05-21-2011, 01:48 AM)winterghost Wrote: Er if you're just another player why do you need to read it at all? o.O

I can help people with these Amnesia problems, I have some experience.

Well, your latest log is still full of errors and warnings and that's probably because you load previous save games. Firstly make sure you have the latest steam update of Amnesia because steam tends to be a little different when it comes to this. When done make sure to start a new game and not load previous ones. At the retail version devs have written:

Quote:DO NOT upgrade if you are in the middle of a game. Depending on where you upgrade you might experience some oddities due to save game differences between 1.0 and 1.0.1.

So if you need to update(you already did that) make sure you start a new game afterwards.

Also, always have the latest video drivers as they give better opengl speed and performance. From your hpl.log I figured out that you are using Windows XP and your graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 210. So here you go:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-275.2...river.html
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2011, 08:32 AM by plutomaniac.)
05-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Find
winterghost Offline

Thank you for trying to help Plutomaniac, but Steam updated the game without asking me, and it wasn't done while I was playing, I have since found a check box to tell it not to auto-update but that dosen't help me now.

As I've posted a few times, I have reinstalled the game two or three times since writing the first post and so, of course, it has the latest steam update of Amnesia, not only that but I stated, and the log shows, that it is 1.2.

If what you say is right then they released a patch that broke save games which would I think be a pretty big issue and at the very least should have been stated in patch notes/news. Jens also didn't say anything about that in his response.

Also this isn't going from 1.0 to 1.01 which is what the quote says might cause save game oddities.

Can I have confirmation from Jens or another tech support that the patch is incompatible with my previous save game and my only option is to start a new game?
05-22-2011, 03:34 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(05-22-2011, 03:34 AM)winterghost Wrote: Thank you for trying to help Plutomaniac, but Steam updated the game without asking me, and it wasn't done while I was playing, I have since found a check box to tell it not to auto-update but that dosen't help me now.

Can I have confirmation from Jens or another tech support that the patch is incompatible with my previous save game and my only option is to start a new game?

First of all you mistaken the quote. It was written with the v1.2 update and it means that v1.2 update is a little-bit different when it comes to saves in comparison to v1.0 and v1.0.1. What I want to tell you is that you don't need to start a new game like that. As I wrote here in a similar problem:

If you update the game you should start a new game although most of the times you won't have problems. But if you do you can do three things(before option 3):

1) Start from a previous save before the current chamber
2) Reinstall the game as it was before the update
3) Start a new game

In conclusion, I'm telling you to do option 1 and option 2. Not 3, yet!

**I also have another more crazy-like idea since option 2 is difficult to be done because v1.2 is the second patch and steam autoupdates to the latest one. What if we tried to manually install v1.0.1 update which you had before by copying its files to game folder? I still have the update. But first you would have to install the game again as v1.0 and then do that. But try option 1 first**
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2011, 08:39 AM by plutomaniac.)
05-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

It probably crashes due to different versions of the game, we warn in the support article that this might be the case. Unfortunately on Steam you don't have much choice when to update.

You could try and replay from an earlier save from before you first loaded the level that crashes. If you don't have one then you might have to replay the from start.
05-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Jens is right but if you have progressed the game a lot and you don't want to start over maybe we could try the crazy idea mentioned here at the end. I don't know if it will work though. But you don't really have something to lose. We'll see...
05-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Find