Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
new patch = crashing
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: new patch = crashing

It seems, that your savegame is corrupted or incompatible version.
Please reinstall the game and install patch 1.2 and start a new game.
I did not know, if the game runs good under Windows 2000.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2011, 12:45 PM by Googolplex.)
05-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

You have Windows 2000? Well, do the things I told you but to be honest with you you're lucky to be able to play the game in such os. The game requires are least Windows XP.
05-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Find
winterghost Offline

Threads: 1

no I don't have windows 2000, I have XP...
I don't know where that idea came from >>

@ plutomaniac

The wording of the quote about 1.0 and 1.0.1 is misleading then, but I'm sure you know what you are saying Smile

I'm sorry but I really don't understand your directions when you say: "reinstall the game as it was before the update?" Do you mean without the patch? If so I'm afraid I cannot, Steam does not offer that option.

Also I have not been able to see any way to have multiple saves, am I completely missing some way to save my game? Because you refer to picking an earlier save but as far as I am aware I get one auto-save that the game chooses to save. How am I meant to pick a save game?

If I can get your method to work I will but this all sounds as if the patch has broken my old save and I will have to start a new game. I'm not happy about this but if there is nothing else I can do then I will do it of course.

@Jens, which support article? If it was meant to come with the patch then steam didn't show it to me.

So it sounds like the incompatibility issue but does this mean that every time the game gets patched my previous save games will be broken?

I suppose it could be corrupted but I have no idea why it would suddenly be corrupted when it worked fine a couple of days before the patch and then after the patch was installed the save game was broken.
05-23-2011, 12:58 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Well, you have Steam so it's different but I'm sure you do have older saves. Every time you press Save & Exit a new save file is being created. You can find all your save games here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Nik\My Documents/Amnesia/Main/Merry

Copy the above to any window address bar and it will take you automatically. It is based on your HLP.log. I assumed too that you have Windows 2000 because of the attachment in this reply of yours. But yes, indeed you have Windows XP, sorry about that...

For now we will try older save games. As I told all your save games are in that folder. In order to load a previous save game launch amnesia and in the main menu choose Load Game, not Continue or Start a new game.

[Image: amnesia-main-menu-480x270.jpg]

Select Load Game and load a previous save game from there. I don't know about Steam though. At google I also found this menu too:

[Image: amnesiathedarkdescent2.jpg]

Maybe it is different on Steam? I don't think so. Is this how your game looks like?

If for some crazy reason that fails too, well we will have to do the crazy idea mentioned before as a last hope of you being able to at least finish the game and then really update it from Steam.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2011, 07:31 AM by plutomaniac.)
05-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Find
winterghost Offline

Okay I see the windows 2000 bit in the errorlog and that is bizarre, I've never even had 2000 on this machine in the past. I guess the crash/error program that comes up got confused? I've no idea it's very odd.

I'm going to go see if I can see the other save games and then try loading one.

I cannot download a previous version of the game, steam only has the new one, so I think I won't be able to try your method though Sad
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2011, 10:06 PM by winterghost.)
05-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(05-23-2011, 10:05 PM)winterghost Wrote: Okay I see the windows 2000 bit in the errorlog and that is bizarre, I've never even had 2000 on this machine in the past. I guess the crash/error program that comes up got confused? I've no idea it's very odd.

I'm going to go see if I can see the other save games and then try loading one.

I cannot download a previous version of the game, steam only has the new one, so I think I won't be able to try your method though Sad

ok try that. My method though, the trick actually, is not that. I'm quoting what I said the first time the idea came to me:

Quote:***I also have another more crazy-like idea since option 2 is difficult to be done because v1.2 is the second patch and steam autoupdates to the latest one. What if we tried to manually install v1.0.1 update which you had before by copying its files to game folder? I still have the update. But first you would have to install the game again as v1.0 and then do that. But try option 1 first***

Oh I see the problem, yes sorry about that. You cannot install the game as v1.0 because Steam etc... Mmm, don't worry I'll think of something.

Actually you have nothing to lose. We will manually install v1.0.1 over v1.2 and I'm sure it will work. You must though disable steam from autoupdating in order to do that successfully. Tell me whether you could load to a previous save game and if nothing else works we will try the above.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2011, 10:39 PM by plutomaniac.)
05-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Find
winterghost Offline

okay the earlier save thing worked Smile
Thank you Big Grin

Also I noticed the save game I was crashing on is in the study, so perhaps it was something to do with that?

But whatever the issue was I can play again now so I'm happy, thanks everyone for all your help.
Oh no I mean I have literally no way to install the earlier version, I bought it through Steam and I can only download the version Steam is using.

But it's sorted now anyway so thank you for all your help Smile
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2011, 11:36 PM by winterghost.)
05-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Great, I knew we could find a solution here. Have fun...Smile
05-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Find
LeapsofFaith Offline

Threads: 0

hey, i have a problem. I recently downloaded the free demo off of steam. when i went to play the game, i had a black screen. although, for some reason, i could see the mouse and the subtitles. when i pull up either the journal or the intentory, it shows that as if there's nothing wrong with it.
I have a Windows 7 laptop, so that will narrow down some of the probable problems i hope.
03-06-2012, 03:56 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

You probably have an integrated intelhd graphics chip, see the sticky threads for troubleshooting. You need to update the drivers to the latest versions to make the game work.
03-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Website Find