Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help! Amnesia crashes when I leave the Study
sd. Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Help! Amnesia crashes when I leave the Study

-<class name="" type="cLuxInventory_Item_SaveData"> <var name="msName" type="4" val="guiding_rod03"/> <var name="mlType" type="2" val="0"/> <var name="msSubType" type="4" val="GuidingRod3"/> <var name="msVal" type="4" val=""/> <var name="msExtraVal" type="4" val=""/> <var name="msImageFile" type="4" val="graphics/item/guiding_rod03"/> <var name="mfAmount" type="3" val="1.000000"/> <var name="mlCount" type="2" val="1"/> <var name="msGameNameEntry" type="4" val="ItemName_GuidingRod3"/> <var name="msGameDescEntry" type="4" val="ItemDesc_GuidingRod3"/> </class>

and

-<class name="" type="cLuxNote"> <var name="msNameEntry" type="4" val="Note_CH01L11_ElevatorMachine_Name"/> <var name="msTextEntry" type="4" val="Note_CH01L11_ElevatorMachine_Text"/> <var name="msIconFile" type="4" val="graphics/item/journal/manual_icon"/> <var name="msImageFile" type="4" val="graphics/item/journal/manual_large"/> </class>

I'm going to try inserting them now and seeing if it works.
06-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(06-01-2011, 02:39 AM)sdhoigt Wrote: I know i am pretty late into this thread, but i am having a similar issue (the game crashes after leaving the study). i get "Amnesia.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module Amnesia.exe at 001B.00498A35"

ive added my hpl file so you guys can help figure out what i can do to fix the game

EDIT: I just played up to the point where the game would crash on a new save. IT WORKS! so i guess that it is the problem with the outdated save files.

yes, that's the problem. You could have loaded just a previous save file though...
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM by plutomaniac.)
06-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Find
sd. Offline

Well it worked. I have the rod and the note in my journal. I'm not sure what else will be screwed up but since I never plan on going back into the study again hopefully no conflicts will arise.

I did notice the "find another way around the rubble study" in my quest notes but I think I found out how to turn that off. Under the journal section I saw

<class name="" type="cLuxQuestNote">
<var name="mbActive" type="1" val="true"/>
<var name="msName" type="4" val="11Path"/>
<var name="msNameEntry" type="4" val="Quest_11Path_Name"/>
<var name="msTextEntry" type="4" val="Quest_11Path_Text"/>
</class>

I'll bet changing that to false will fix it. Hopefully this will work. If it doesn't I'm pretty sure I won't start the game from scratch anytime soon.

Note: I also change my oil and the number of tinderboxes as well to reflect the few I would have picked up in the study. If anyone is interested in where to change those it's under the section

<class name="mPlayer" type="cLuxPlayer_SaveData">
<var name="mlState" type="2" val="0"/>
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2011, 02:45 PM by sd..)
06-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Great, so that worked well for you. Could you summarize what you did and what you changed in a nice look underneath? Maybe it will be good to add your solution to the Troubleshooting Guide that Thomas made but it must be clear to someone with no knowledge on how to do it.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2011, 03:54 PM by plutomaniac.)
06-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Find
Autoupdater Offline

(06-01-2011, 02:44 PM)sd. Wrote: Well it worked. I have the rod and the note in my journal. I'm not sure what else will be screwed up but since I never plan on going back into the study again hopefully no conflicts will arise.

Thank you so much for the time you took, I spent some time staring at the savefile myself but did not get that far.

I was considering if there is an additional requirement and check if the Study has been entered that could ruin just adding the item (did not even think about the note) but apparently you even found that.

Hopefully it will fix it because if it does not I am in the same boat as you - I do not plan to start again anytime soon.

Once again, thank you for doing the support, even if the changes do not fix the issue you deserve the gratitude.
06-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Find
sd. Offline

I played last night for a bit. I fixed the elevator, used it and went down to the next section and explored it a bit and had no problems at all. I can't guaranteed that no problems will ever occur but I'll type up a nice summary tonight and try to make it as clear as possible incase others want to try it too.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011, 04:13 PM by sd..)
06-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(06-02-2011, 04:08 PM)sd. Wrote: I played last night for a bit. I fixed the elevator, used it and went down to the next section and explored it a bit and had no problems at all. I can't guaranteed that no problems will ever occur but I'll type up a nice summary tonight and try to make it as clear as possible incase others want to try it too.

great, thank you very much for doing this.

I'm certain that you won't be having other save problems in the future since the new save data that the game will generate will be from v1.2 so you won't have any problems. Till now there is one area with such problem, the study - as far as I'm aware of course. Have fun playing the game!
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011, 06:15 PM by plutomaniac.)
06-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Find
sd. Offline

I'm really not try trying to be condescending with this, I'm just unsure how to explain this to someone who has no idea what XML is. This is my first pass so let me know if I need to explain in more detail or less detail in certain points. Here goes...

Think of the XML setup in this save file as an outline format divided into sections. The two sections we are mainly concerned about for this fix are

<class type="cLuxInventory_SaveData" name="mInventory">
and
<class type="cLuxJournal_SaveData" name="mJournal">

As you may guess from the names those are the sections of the save files that deal with the inventory and journal.

Since these save files are rather large text files (over 3MB each) you are going to want to use a plain text editor with a search feature like notepad.

Part I - Adding the rod to your inventory.

Start at the top of the file and search for the term "mInventory" and hopefully the first result will be the

<class type="cLuxInventory_SaveData" name="mInventory">

line. The next two lines you should ignore. The 3rd line starts the subsection of the inventory items you are carrying when you bring up the inventory screen. It should look something like this

<container type="100" name="mvItems" class_type="cLuxInventory_Item_SaveData">

Each item you are carrying is in a section about 12 lines long. Each item ends with a "</class>" line. The entire section of what you are carrying ends with a "</container>" line. You want to add the rod you find in the study to the end of the list of items you are carrying. So scroll down slowly to find the end of the current list by looking for the following 2 lines

</class>
</container>

Between the "</class>" and the "</container>" add the following 12 lines (quote this post for proper formatting)...

<class type="cLuxInventory_Item_SaveData" name="">
<var type="4" name="msName" val="guiding_rod03" />
<var type="2" name="mlType" val="0" />
<var type="4" name="msSubType" val="GuidingRod3" />
<var type="4" name="msVal" val="" />
<var type="4" name="msExtraVal" val="" />
<var type="4" name="msImageFile" val="graphics/item/guiding_rod03" />
<var type="3" name="mfAmount" val="1.000000" />
<var type="2" name="mlCount" val="1" />
<var type="4" name="msGameNameEntry" val="ItemName_GuidingRod3" />
<var type="4" name="msGameDescEntry" val="ItemDesc_GuidingRod3" />
</class>

Having the 3rd rod in your inventory should be enough to allow you to continue on in the game. However if you would also like the note (containing the instructions to fix the elevator) you can continue on with these instructions. Or you can just Google to find out what it says.

Part II - Adding the Elevator note to your inventory.

To add the note search for "mJournal" You should see a line similar to

<class type="cLuxJournal_SaveData" name="mJournal">

The fourth line down should start the subsections of notes

<container type="100" name="mvNotes" class_type="cLuxNote">

The end of the note list should again look like this...

</class>
</container>

Insert the following lines in-between to add the note

<class type="cLuxNote" name="">
<var type="4" name="msNameEntry" val="Note_CH01L11_ElevatorMachine_Name" />
<var type="4" name="msTextEntry" val="Note_CH01L11_ElevatorMachine_Text" />
<var type="4" name="msIconFile" val="graphics/item/journal/manual_icon" />
<var type="4" name="msImageFile" val="graphics/item/journal/manual_large" />
</class>

Part III - Removing the "find another way around the rubble study" from your quest notes.

This one is a little easier. Search for "11Path" and you should find the following section of code

<class type="cLuxQuestNote" name="">
<var type="1" name="mbActive" val="true" />
<var type="4" name="msName" val="11Path" />
<var type="4" name="msNameEntry" val="Quest_11Path_Name" />
<var type="4" name="msTextEntry" val="Quest_11Path_Text" />
</class>

In the second line change the "true" to "false" and you should be all set.

Good luck. I hope this helps.
06-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

It's far more than excellent. Very nice work, thank you very much for your feedback. I will talk to Thomas now and see if he would like to include it at the support thread. I'll update here.
06-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Find
Autoupdater Offline

It worked perfectly, I hope it will end up in the support thread with due credit to you for fixing this problem that cannot be fixed.
06-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Find