Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How to enable quicksave (read the warning)
elkston Offline

Threads: 1
How to enable quicksave (read the warning)

Enable Quicksave READ THE WARNING
1. Edit the file $MY_DOCUMENTS\Penumbra Overture\Episode 1\settings.cfg
(where $My_DOCUMENTS is whatever your "My Documents" folder is called in Windows)
2. Look for the text AllowQuickSave = "false" and change the "false" to "true".
3. Save the file

Now when you are in the game, use F4 to qucksave and F5 to quickload. Note that since this appears to be an unsupported feature, there is no onscreen notification that your save is successful when you press F4. However, I have tested it several times and it seems to work. The saves themselves show up in the AutoSaves section when you go to manually load the game.

WARNING!
Thomas Wrote:The autosave is a debug feature and might screw up the game if used at bad time. So use at your own risk
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2007, 09:12 AM by piibii.)
04-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Find
Dark Offline

Threads: 20
RE: I don't understand why you can't save anywhere you want

they just use checkpoints, there are alot of games that have it

[Image: elfenliednx4.jpg]
04-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Find
elkston Offline

Dark_Raver Wrote:they just use checkpoints, there are alot of games that have it

Yes I know. And this forces you to play on until you reach the next "checkpoint" or else you lose your progress.

I can somehow see where this is tolerable in just straight up shooter games. But in games where you have to solve puzzles, think, pick up objects, etc... I just prefer to be able to quit anytime I want and come back to exactly the same point and resume my adventure.
04-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Find
phantomlord2oo Offline

I was checking out the "default_settings" in the redist/config folder and there's a setting that says AllowQuickSave="false". Maybe if you set that to true you could save when you want. I haven't fooled with it though.
04-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Find
Dark Offline

Threads: 20

then youl stille need a key

[Image: elfenliednx4.jpg]
04-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Find
elkston Offline

phantomlord2oo Wrote:I was checking out the "default_settings" in the redist/config folder and there's a setting that says AllowQuickSave="false". Maybe if you set that to true you could save when you want. I haven't fooled with it though.

Good news! I was able to figure out how to activate save anywhere using your hint.

1. Edit the file $MY_DOCUMENTS\Penumbra Overture\Episode 1\settings.cfg
(where $My_DOCUMENTS is whatever your "My Documents" folder is called in Windows)
2. Look for the text AllowQuickSave = "false" and change the "false" to "true".
3. Save the file

Now when you are in the game, use F4 to qucksave and F5 to quickload. Note that since this appears to be an unsupported feature, there is no onscreen notification that your save is successful when you press F4. However, I have tested it several times and it seems to work. The saves themselves show up in the AutoSaves section when you go to manually load the game.

If any developers want to chime in on whether or not it is safe to continue using this feature, feel free.
04-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Find
kosta081287
Unregistered

RE: Found a workaround that allows you to save anytime you want

I don't get about what are you complaning its not FPS that you have to save every second :p...and besides its your game saves every new room you enter and you new room like every 2 mintus + the artifact so its ok and more than enough and its comftarble
04-03-2007, 10:30 PM
elkston Offline

kosta081287 Wrote:I don't get about what are you complaning its not FPS that you have to save every second :p...and besides its your game saves every new room you enter and you new room like every 2 mintus + the artifact so its ok and more than enough and its comftarble

Its not enough for me. You should be able to save anytime, anywhere you want. I have always beleived that simple rule.
04-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Find
Jetsetlemming Offline

Threads: 5

You don't get much extra difficulty from not being able to save anywhere in Penumbra. You've got automatic healing just from standing around, there are few enemies, and the main difficulty is from puzzles and enviromental hazards rather than enemies anyway.
However, quicksaving CAN end up with you saving in situations you can't get out of, such as in the middle of a chase scene when you don't have enough time to escape or something along those lines.
I'd say make it a full fledged feature that a) turns off on hard difficulty by default, and b) Turns off ingame during special situations like chase scenes and whenever you're near an enemy. Basically whenever you hear the scary music, you can't save. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2007, 03:11 AM by Gzy.)
04-04-2007, 03:09 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Quick Note:
The autosave is a debug feature and might screw up the game if used at bad time. So use at own risk Wink Also, the game is not designed for it, so might degrade the experience.
04-04-2007, 06:21 AM
Find