Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two issues; Falloff maps and ScreenShake
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18
Two issues; Falloff maps and ScreenShake

So yea. Question 1:

Do falloff maps work for Boxlights? They don't seem to.

Question 2:

Is there any way to cancel a ScreenShake? I know screenshakes cancel other things out, like FOVmul, but screenshakes don't seem to end in any way, even by putting another 0 intensity screenshake.
05-18-2011, 03:18 AM
Find
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Two issues; Falloff maps and ScreenShake

Question 1: What in the world do falloff maps even do? I haven't ever noticed much of a change when using them in the level editor.

2: Screenshakes have a time field, so can you not just set the time to however long you want it to last?

05-18-2011, 03:55 AM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Falloff maps are a white to black gradient that are used as a sort of variable alpha; they dim the light at the end of its radius.

I can't set a specific time because the screen needs to shake until the map changes...but it keeps shaking when the next map loads.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2011, 04:18 AM by MrBigzy.)
05-18-2011, 04:17 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Question 1:
I think they don't. A boxlight has a "constant" light to it's area.

Question 2:
I am guessing that you are having a situation where the screen shakes until the player does something?
Set a timer to create a new screenshake (screenshake should be 1 sec long, no fade time on it) every second, then end the loop when wanted.

(05-18-2011, 03:55 AM)Anxt Wrote: Question 1: What in the world do falloff maps even do? I haven't ever noticed much of a change when using them in the level editor.

They regulate how fast the light fades from the center. For example I think you can use them to increase the circular area where the light is more intensive of a pointlight.

Edit: Model works now btw. Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2011, 04:25 AM by Acies.)
05-18-2011, 04:23 AM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

It should work on a boxlight. D:::

Bleh, I don't see why it shouldn't, now I have a bad transition that I have to get rid of. D:

And I guess the timer thing would work, hopefully there's no problems.
05-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Bigzy! Sup man.

1) Acies is right. Box light is what I call the GodBox. Just a way to control global ambient light. There's probably a way that I'm unaware of, but in the suite you can't change it :S

2) Make sure you've got values > 0 for the duration, fadeIn, and fadeOut. I'm guessing if the duration is 0 it will last forever. I have not tried fade times of 0, but having fade times looks better anyway.

05-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

To remove ugly edges you could possibly create several smaller boxlights, with fading light values. In that way the transition will be less noticeable.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

05-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

That doesn't work really because they add onto each other, whether its set as replace or add. I fixed it anyway by adding a black fog and extending the boxlight down.
05-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Find
Kraggdog Offline

Threads: 12

A boxlight is only really useful as a very dim ambient light for the entire area. Unless you can physically seperate the zones (like with a teleport function) then you are stuck with being able to see the harsh lines.

I haven't got the falloffs to work with it either and I reccomend just sticking with point lights (spot for windows ofc).
05-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Find