Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maya animation interactive skin bind
DonProtz Offline

Threads: 15
Maya animation interactive skin bind

I have some question about skin bind in maya. I dont know who did the animation for Amnesia, perhaps he or someone else can answer the question. I was wondering why the interactive skin bind in maya causing vertex errors in hpl2 engine? I would be very happy if there is a way to use this skin methode because I animat a char this way. If there is no way to use the interactive skin bind, I would just looking forward to know who did the very good animation for the grunt, so that I/we ask him some things about the maya stuff. Thx for your time

Hello my friend, stay a while and listen
05-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85
RE: Maya animation interactive skin bind

(05-24-2011, 10:39 PM)DonProtz Wrote: I have some question about skin bind in maya. I dont know who did the animation for Amnesia, perhaps he or someone else can answer the question. I was wondering why the interactive skin bind in maya causing vertex errors in hpl2 engine? I would be very happy if there is a way to use this skin methode because I animat a char this way. If there is no way to use the interactive skin bind, I would just looking forward to know who did the very good animation for the grunt, so that I/we ask him some things about the maya stuff. Thx for your time

frictional games contracted a company to do that... sorry :/
05-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Website Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

What vertex errors did you get? Also, this page has a lot of info: it's for HPL1, but I think most of it still applies.

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl1/doc...ment.chap2

Was the error that you had more than 4 vertices on a bone? Becuase you can only have a max of 3 (possibly 4, can't remember) joint influences per vertex.
05-25-2011, 02:15 AM
Find
DonProtz Offline

(05-25-2011, 02:15 AM)MrBigzy Wrote: What vertex errors did you get? Also, this page has a lot of info: it's for HPL1, but I think most of it still applies.

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl1/doc...ment.chap2

Was the error that you had more than 4 vertices on a bone? Becuase you can only have a max of 3 (possibly 4, can't remember) joint influences per vertex.
thx for the link, tried the sampling option when exporting, no change Sad .
4 vertices on bone? dont understand this, because that would be much to few for one bone ^^, my model is about 17k verts. No its only the bind method that causes problems, smooth bind works perfect. only the interactive method causes errors, that nearly all vertecies go weird up in y direction, looks like the most verts have no bone, but everything looks fine in maya...
Danarogon I think frictional did the grunt animation by there own, thomas did the "professional" motin capturing ^^ dont remember the video Smile
its a pity because with interactive mode i get much better skinning than with smooth bind Sad

05-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Does the modelviewer crash at all when you do it?
05-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Find
DonProtz Offline

nope, he shows me that weird stuff with the moved verts
hmm i will try the modeleditor ^^
edit: modeleditor shows the same $#!" Smile

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2011, 03:14 PM by DonProtz.)
05-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

It's probably one of the limitations on the page I linked. Do interactive bindings scale animations? Or anything that is a limitation of the engine?
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2011, 05:19 PM by MrBigzy.)
05-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Find
DonProtz Offline

thx Mr.Bigzy, no it doesn´t scale so far I understand that method...
I will go for more test animations. I will post if I found out whats causing my problem

05-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Find