Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exception access violation?
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Exception access violation?

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce 9200M GE/PCI/SSE2
Version: 2.1.2

Your card seems to be fine.

And even if you uninstall the game, your saves would stay there. Patch would likely help too, and it doesn't mess with your saves either.

One piece of advice, if an update doesn't strictly states that older saves won't work, then that update doesn't mess with your saves.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2011, 09:57 PM by Tanshaydar.)
05-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Website Find
sndbarry Offline

Threads: 0

That's great news. Thank you so much.
Hi again.

Sorry to be a bit slow on the uptake here, but now that I have uninstalled the game, what do I do to re-install it? I see that all the files are there, along with my save files, but I don't see an "exe" file. How do I re-install?

Thanks!
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2011, 07:31 PM by sndbarry.)
05-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Find
sndbarry Offline

Please ignore that last query. I've found it. Thanks for your help.
05-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Find
sndbarry Offline

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Amnesia as suggested, but I am crashing at exactly the same spot. The message I am getting is:

"EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module nvoglv32.dll at 001B:6976D545, DrvPresent Buffer ()+84869 byte(s)"

Can anyone please tell me what the problem is and how/if I can resolve it? I'm told this is not a graphics card problem; I have tried everything on the troubleshooting list. I don't know what else to do. Help....

Thank you.
05-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Find
Avion Offline

[possible spoilers]
I am currently in the Study. I have all three rods for the elevator, and have obtained the crowbar. This has never happened before when trying to leave the Study to enter the Back Hall, but now every time I try to go through the door to the Back Hall I the loading screen and then this error (screencap attached). Here is my hpl log as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really want to continue playing this game!

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 4.37 KB / Downloads: 102)
.png   Error Message.png (Size: 41.33 KB / Downloads: 117)
05-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

This seems to be a problem nowadays. Try to create a new profile and game.
If you updated or Steam updated for you, there could be some incompatibility for saves.

05-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Well if you update the game while in Study the game will crash. The only solution is to load a save game before entering study for the first time.
05-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Find
sndbarry Offline

This really is the most frustrating game I have ever played, in that it is loaded with so many crashes. In my case, always with the "exception access violation" problem. The last time I encountered it, after unsuccessfully trying everying on Frictional's troubleshooting list, including uninstalling and re-installing the software, I eventually figured out that the reason it was crashing at the same place over and over was that I had (unawarely) not finished/solved one of the puzzles in the previous room. It seems like a very bizarre way for the game to handle an unsolved puzzle, and something that really needs to be sorted out.

Naively believing that, being near the end of the game, I would eventually be able to finish it, I am now encountering the very same problem once again, this time in the Nave, with the monster in the well. It crashes repeatedly as whatever is in the well is apparently about to be raised up by the rope. Is there something esle I have failed to do/solve? I have all the orb pieces, I have two of the three items I'm supposed to retrieve and I am in the process of getting the third, so what is the problem THIS time?! Can anyone help? Offer any thoughts? Ideas? Is it time for me to simply give up on this game?
05-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Look, the game was developed by 4 people, their work is far from excellent. I told you back then that you shouldn't continue with the current save. You had to load a previous one. Try that now too but I don't know if it will help. This is because the game was patched. If you have steam things are not easy because it autoupdates everything. If you had the retail you would just install v1.0.1 again and everything would be great afterwards. Don't quit playing though, you are near the end and it's a great game.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2011, 10:10 PM by plutomaniac.)
05-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Find