Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request OLitD: Looking for brainstormers!
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
Lightbulb  OLitD: Looking for brainstormers!

Also, to avoid double posting....I'm interested in having a few people joining the OLitD dev team. There's no "one" in team... >_>

If you are a:

- Digital artist: To create loading screen images, GUI art, etc
- Voice actor: 3 male voices needed: 1 young, 1 middle-aged, 1 elderly (your voice work, not your age >_> )
- Avid playtester: to TRY to "break" the game. Essentially a bug-tester, and quality tester. PM for a more descriptive, er...description. Smile

and would like to contribute to OLitD and be part of an extraordinary project, send me a sample of your work! Big Grin

//------------------------

Hey all! I'm starting to run out of ideas for storyline, puzzles, concepts, etc for my mod! If you've got a cool idea and would like to see it implemented into a high-quality full conversion project, and want to see your name scroll up on a screen head over to the ModDB page for One Light in the Darkness and post on the Contribute forum! Or you can post it here, either works!

I've been spending lots of time recently trying to flesh out my story so it's not just an endless stream of keys, puzzles, scary events, monsters, and randomness! I want it to be immersive, interesting, and memorable!

Thanks!

Here's the modDB page: here

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM by palistov.)
06-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Find
ferryadams10 Offline

Threads: 40
RE: OLitD: Looking for brainstormers!

Dude, the whole game is about those things you just said: An endless stream of keys, puzzles, scary events, monsters, and randomness! I want it to be immersive, interesting, and memorable till the end Big Grin

Ferry,

Got a nice sofa
Please come and have a seat for a while

06-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Well I want it to be a lot more about story than just finding a key and using a crowbar, yknow? Because if I expand the project, to say, a second chapter, I want there to be a backstory so it isn't just "Oh look another map with scary stuff from Palistov"

06-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Find
Greven Offline

Threads: 13

Well if its just the brainstorming and not the actual creation then I think I might be of use Smile Have a few things that could be nice Tongue

PM me if you still need someone

[WIP] Recidivus
06-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Find
Immersion Offline

Threads: 0

I have ideas for areas if you want.
Prison cells, hospitals, mountains, barracks.

Story wise.
Character suffers from illness, kills many people, gets amnesia and has to rediscover what he has done.

Concepts, i dont know. timed puzzles? perhaps an area with a monster in it, and you have to navigate around him, think the potato room from Justine. Im a little tired at the minute, il get back to you tommorow Tongue
06-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

(06-01-2011, 10:14 PM)Immersion Wrote: I have ideas for areas if you want.
Prison cells, hospitals, mountains, barracks.

Story wise.
Character suffers from illness, kills many people, gets amnesia and has to rediscover what he has done.

Concepts, i dont know. timed puzzles? perhaps an area with a monster in it, and you have to navigate around him, think the potato room from Justine. Im a little tired at the minute, il get back to you tommorow Tongue

I'm pretty sure he got the base of the story done, and anyhow that sounds like you are trying to copy the story from Amnesia. XD

06-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Haha yeah the story is based around a researcher gone missing in a supposedly abandoned castle, and you play a novelist trying to find inspiration for a book and decide to document your search for the missing researcher.

Timed puzzles do sound fun. The last room in Justine was REALLY scary for me haha. Just lookin for what people would find interesting in a mod, and what would make them feel like the story is real, not just searching for X items while running from Y monsters.

Immersion: Your idea for the barracks sounds interesting. I'd have to make use of DonProtz's weapon models Smile The mountains would be cool too, but it doesn't quite fit the setting and outdoor levels are hard to optimize and make look realistic at the same time.

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011, 02:43 AM by palistov.)
06-02-2011, 02:41 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

(06-02-2011, 02:41 AM)palistov Wrote: The mountains would be cool too, but it doesn't quite fit the setting and outdoor levels are hard to optimize and make look realistic at the same time.

Mountains would be extremely cool if done well, it could perhaps require some custom models and depending what kind of skybox you would use, the optimization of lighting could become hard. But outdoor areas are in no means something you should avoid implementing, just be sure the player doesn't have to stick in them for too long.
Here's a boring picture of a sunset:
Spoiler below!
[Image: 13253.jpg]

I don't know if these help or anything, but I'm still going to give you some of my thoughts.

Try and avoid straightforward puzzles where you notice nothing scary is going to happen until you complete something. Don't let the player rest and think for too long! Necessary resting and peaceful mood should imo be implemented to transitions between spooky areas.

One interesting scenario would be falling or in any other means getting stuck into somewhere forcing the player to actually think they have no way out. Could be hard to time right, but try to shock them with something when they get frustrated or lose focus and then let them continue further. Things happening without the players own interaction (picking up objects or colliding with certain areas) could be interesting.

Since your map seems to have something to do with thunder, perhaps create a shadow of a man when lightning hits at some part to scare?

Create an illusion that makes the player feel like something invisible is keeping an eye on him? Like for example: when player looks at certain direction, give him damage and push him somewhere. Perhaps if the player tries to look for tinderboxes from shelves and such could also be a good time for a surprise to that point he no longer wants to look.

Fake run scene? Sounds to create a runaway scene into perhaps an dead end or something...

Story wise I tried my best, but just couldn't figure out anything remarkable. Maybe use notes to describe mental breakdown for Dale H. Shaw when he sleeps inside the castle. Not the traditional "I see ghosts" type, but something more sophisticated... It could be interesting to follow the progress of someones mind when he proceeds to explore a mysterious castle. When it comes to the point that Shaw toys with dead bodies or something and the player might feel the urge to stop following, force him to continue (somehow the urge to explore further can decrease when you know you can always turn back and run away, might be the opposite too though...)

You wanted brainstorming, I tried! Good luck with your project
06-02-2011, 04:10 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks for your thoughts Khyrpa! I like some of your ideas I'll try to weave some of them into my story Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011, 07:13 AM by palistov.)
06-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

i have an idea whic i was going to use: have different solutions to puzzles, eg:
the player can either use a pot of acid to unrust a door, which leads to a new area, or he could use the acid on something else, which ultimately leads to the same place, or make it so you can sacrifice lamp oil to solve puzzles - ie unrust doors, ignite machine etc. as well as having another, more tedious solution to the puzzle.

if each locked door had multiple ways to be unlocked, it would make the player more immersed imo, if i found an empty bucket i would like to think 'i can fill this with something' or ' i could break this into pieces and use it for something'. thats just one example, but have two or more uses for each item and it will completely change the gameplay.

06-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Find