Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia is laggy in certain areas
JoBud92 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Amnesia is laggy in certain areas

Hey,

Hope you guys can help, I got Amnesia and it runs perfectly on a mix of mid/high settings. But when I get to areas like the lab and the wine cellar the frame rate drops significantly till its like watching a slideshow, even putting my graphics settings low as they can be doesn't help much. Anyone know why and if it can be fixed?

I got a Intel i3 2.53 GHz processor, 6GB of RAM and I'm using the integrated HD Graphics with an over all graphics memory of 1.7GB (with the latest driver installed).

Thanks in advance Smile

06-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia is laggy in certain areas

1) What operating system do you have?
2) What graphics card exactly do you have?

Also, important: Attach us here the file HPL.log found under Documents/Amnesia/Main folder
06-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Find
JoBud92 Offline

(06-02-2011, 06:17 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: 1) What operating system do you have?
2) What graphics card exactly do you have?

Also, important: Attach us here the file HPL.log found under Documents/Amnesia/Main folder

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. And I'm using the integrated graphics on my Intel chip, Intel HD Graphics 3000 I think?

And yeah, attached Smile

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 7.89 KB / Downloads: 125)
06-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Well your graphics card is not very good for the game. Is this a laptop or a pc? Also, did you or steam(in case you own a steam copy) updated the game recently? Does it stop when you leave the wine cellar?
06-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Find
JoBud92 Offline

(06-02-2011, 06:54 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Well your graphics card is not very good for the game. Is this a laptop or a pc? Also, did you or steam(in case you own a steam copy) updated the game recently? Does it stop when you leave the wine cellar?

Yeah it probably isn't, but it runs perfectly in all other areas which is what I don't get. It's on a laptop and I purchased it through steam, the settings are to automatically update it whenever updates are available so I assume the latest update is installed. I left the wine cellar and went back to the entrance hall the frame rate went back to normal and worked absolutely fine. The only areas this has happened in so far is the lab and the wine cellar, it's not all the wine cellar or lab either, when I go explore the rooms it picks back up, but when I return to the entrance of the wine cellar or lab it slows down.
06-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Ok, make sure you have this installed and try again:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_D...pe=Drivers

So steam updates the game. Is there any chance you had started the game some weeks ago, and decide to resume it today? Maybe steam updated the game with the recent latest v1.2 patch and then you continued. I don't think that is the case though because usually that causes crashed and not low frame rate. Most probably is a gpu problem.

EDIT: I saw from the log that you already have the latest drivers, so that won't work. Maybe it is the update but I'm almost certain this happens because of your graphics card. Please run the game again and after those low frame rates, quit and attach the log again.

The above is from our support thread:

Quote:1. Disable performance demanding features.
Some of the features exposed are extremely demanding and only added because it was fun to do so. Here is a (sort of) ordered list of the most performance heavy things in the game.

- SSAO Quality. Having this to anything but medium is at own risk. High takes 4 times the time to rendered and should not be on unless you have a monster of a computer.

- SSAO Samples: Keep this at 16 if you want to keep your sanity. Anything else is very demanding. Feel free to try though Smile

- Edge smoothing: This is basically faked FSAA and comes at a high memory cost. It will also run quite slow on most cards. Should give a good boost if disabled.

- World reflection: A few levels has full world reflection which can be quite heavy on some cards. Check first and disable if needed though as world reflection looks very pretty! Note: If removing world refection helps a lot, consider first turning down ssao settings before turning off world reflection.

- Shadow Quality: Put this to Low for a large boost in fps, but less smooth shadows. Medium should almost have as good quality as high, so if u want to give a little boost, setting from high to medium is a good option.

- SSAO on/off: For older cards, turning off ssao can increase a bit in performance. Make sure to turn up gamma a bit though as it having it off makes the sceen brighter. Also note that some older cards might almost freeze if ssao is on (due to shaders running in software)

- Shadow Resolution: Setting this to medium might speed up older cards.

2. Turn off background applications using graphics
Make sure that no background application is running that mess things up. This is mostly apps that give flashy desktop effects, for example Windows Aero
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011, 07:32 PM by plutomaniac.)
06-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Find