Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster control
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
Monster control

I was hoping someone at FG could explain what exactly controls the auto-deactivation of monsters. At the moment it seems like when my monster completes its patrol route it disappears.

While watching the entity info in-game via the debug menu, I notice a value named PlayerInRange. Does the monster deactivate when the player is out of range for too long?

06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Find
ferryadams10 Offline

Threads: 40
RE: Monster control

For me the monster never deactivates automaticly man Tongue.
You gotta script that I guess.
I always just script it atleasht

Got a nice sofa
Please come and have a seat for a while

06-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

No, they definitely do. It's not a big deal but it just seems kind of random. One time this monster deactivated just as it walked past a pillar out of my sight, but the next time I had to be all the way across the map until it deactivated.

06-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

If you don't like it when your monster disappears after it's done with it's patrol, you could just assign more or just let him stand there for 500 seconds or put him into a loop. Tongue

PlayerInRange could easily be replaced by setting up an area for the monster to dissapear once you enter it.

06-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Find
Nye Offline

Threads: 8

FG used script areas and timers to disable monsters. You can also add a script whereby, IF player isnt looking at monster AND timer is over, THEN despawn monster, ELSE add another ten seconds to the timer (and repeat).

06-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Kyle: apparently it has nothing to do with patrol routes, because later I tested the theory and the monster stuck around for a while until I ran across the map.

Nye: That is an effective method for keeping a monster under control but then again, looking at a monster is the last thing the player would be doing anyways. I'm just curious as to whether or not there is any way to keep a monster active for an indefinite amount of time.

06-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Find