Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make good "Billboards with windows and particles" ?
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64
RE: How to make good "Billboards with windows and particles" ?

(06-19-2011, 06:09 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: Make sure you read this:
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...tutorial_2

And don't use the same values for every box light. Think about it this way: if the area is mainly lighted with torches/fires use the same color "ratio" as them for the box light. And if its very heavy for example on blue light from windows, make the box light faintly blueish.
And with the "ratio" I mean for example:

If you check torch_static01 in model editor, you can find the color values for its point light are:
R 1
G 0.7
B 0.45

You can create the same color, but darker sticking with the same ratio but lower values. (I multiplied every color value with 0.8 in this case)
R 0.8
G 0.56
B 0.36

This way you can create more delicate lighting with more point lights! Its necessary for areas where light can easily leak into unwanted places.

Using this style on box light in an area lit by torches I would probably use values close to these (remember that screen brightness can vary between players and box lights can be too bright or dark for others):
R 0.04
G 0.028
B 0.018
alpha 0 (as explained by frictional in the tutorial I linked above)

I got little carried away, but I feel like I'm just starting to get a grasp on how complicated lighting can go and its pretty interesting.
Here's an example of a room fully lit by a single candle (Its actually scripted so when lit, lots of point lights fade in and start flicker. I find this so interesting that I might post about it sometime).
Spoiler below!
[Image: roomvg.jpg]

Hmm.. Okay good to know and thanks for the tips. Smile

“Life is a game, play it”
06-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Find