Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Should i add weapons(they're all kinda weak
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
NO! No weapons for me!
48.15%
39 48.15%
Yes, add some weak old guns.
16.05%
13 16.05%
Yes, but only add melee weapons!
7.41%
6 7.41%
No, the addition of traps is good enough for me!
23.46%
19 23.46%
Yes, (post a reply with your idea)
4.94%
4 4.94%
Total 81 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Paracusia] A new game, i am working on, inspired by amnesia
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65
RE: [Paracusia] A new game, i am working on, inspired by amnesia

Source or HPL1?
Unreal is the engine that Bioshock series use, the engine that Bioshock Infinite will use. The engine that Gears of war uses and will use. The engine that Mass Effect series used and will use with 3. I guess that answers your question.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
06-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

If you are going to use the Unreal 3 engine, then the package you are looking for is called UDK. Also, I think Bioshock uses Unreal 2.5, not Unreal 3. It looks identical though, just thought I'd squeeze that in.

You could also look into Unity, it's pretty impressive and it's got a very easy to use interface.

If you've got the time, you could code your own engine Tongue

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
06-23-2011, 01:50 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Unity 3D is an engine I love and use. I'd choose it over any engine out there.

06-23-2011, 01:56 AM
Website Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

UDK is a development kit for UE3.
Bioshock INfinite uses UE3.
Unity is more used for web games. I've tested it some time ago and I can say I prefer UDK by far. More versatile, maybe less organized, but god I love these material editors, kismet and cascade.
It's up to you to decide which one is best for you.
Source is also a good engine and you can develop good horror mods for it. A good example that shows his power is Zeno Clash. It's easy to code on it, VHE is easy to handle you have the tool to create lip sync, it uses c++.
Another engine that's coming up and I think that has a free version is Gamebryo, DMM has been implemented to it and is one of the most up to date and cool features. Fallout 3 and New Vegas and Oblivion use that engine.
Cryengine is another TOp engine, at the level of UE3 it's probably the one with best visuals, but it always needs an awesome computer for you to be able to use it. It's also very good for cinematography.
It's the engine that Crysis series used(2 for Crysis and Warhead and 3 for Crysis 2) and Far Cry and it was developed by Crytek.

There are others like Panda3d, Torque3d, Glow but I really recommend the ones I've talked about before.

most Indie Games don't go for Top engines though because they give too many features that you won't use because you simply don't have a team to use tehm all. In your case I'd keep Source. If you already know how to handle UDK, Gamebryo or other better free engine, then go for it because it'll be worth it. I only recommended UDK because I'm very used to it and I find it easy to deal with, but it may not be like that for you.

Good luck with your project anyway.

PS: Coding an engine is not something easy. it's very hard. You can look at the HPL1 engine which isn't a good engine and is not done by anyone who decides to do it, even more if that person has no experience.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2011, 03:53 AM by nemesis567.)
06-23-2011, 03:48 AM
Find
Leu Radu Offline

Threads: 1

(06-23-2011, 01:56 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Unity 3D is an engine I love and use. I'd choose it over any engine out there.
Can you tell us more about you're experience with Unity 3D? I've tried it, but never actually used it.

06-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

It is true that Unity has very good web support, but web games are not the focus of Unity3D, so don't let that fool you, it's just as good at producing "normal" builds (or whatever you call it). A good thing about Unity 3D is that you can easily (and very fast) create prototype maps and it requires no scripting. That said, you could use Unity if you want to quickly put a map together instead of writing a bunch of lines just to see if your maps look OK.

Also, Leadwerks is a good engine, it has very good scripting support (C/C++, BlitzMax and Lua), and it's graphics are pretty neat too. I haven't used Leadwerks but I've seen it in action and I've got to say it's quite impressive. http://www.leadwerks.com/

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
06-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

we have made stuff with unreal engine 3(because bioshock was really scary, and its easier to use)
cryengine? it should be for all types of computers not only for the $1000 ones
HPL1/2 wish that i couldve used them
source is awesome, but not for this game

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
06-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Find
davva Offline

Threads: 1

i'd like to se a old rusty revolver that keeps jamming like 60% of the time, the game shoudn't have almost any ammo at all.
traps should only slow the enemies down and make them "louder" imho, don't ever kill enemies Sad

i hope the games gets made! i really like the ideas so far. =)

good luck =)

06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Maybe you should try to build some of your game with the HPL2 tools and show it to Frictional in the hopes that they might give you a license. They said that they aren't going to try to license the engine to everyone, but they never specifically mentioned that it's going to be completely proprietary.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
06-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Website Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

NOOOO!!!
sorry guys, gotta use an other engine
unreal 3 is not perfect for this
-the graphis suck, unless you make a hd game with 6gb ram/3.0 ghz required
and thats the point of the game. making it playable for everyone
-lots of bugs, so many bugs the game crashes while editing? 0_o
-shaders arent that good

what do you guys think. source? HPL?

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
06-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Find