Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

My game reviews
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: My game reviews

WARP

It's lonely in here... Sad

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
04-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

(02-17-2012, 07:11 PM)Arvuti Wrote: Thank you for actually judging dear esther as a game and not just spending 10 minutes jerking off to the visuals and the story.
What game? Eshter is 95% visuals and 5% random story. The gameplay consists of just walking through the visuals.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

(04-15-2012, 08:09 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(02-17-2012, 07:11 PM)Arvuti Wrote: Thank you for actually judging dear esther as a game and not just spending 10 minutes jerking off to the visuals and the story.
What game? Eshter is 95% visuals and 5% random story. The gameplay consists of just walking through the visuals.
That's exactly what he was referring to. I judged it as a game and thus found it a very boring, simplistic experience.

04-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Along with my return to this forum since I just stopped visiting for a while, I have more game reviews.

06-25-2012, 04:07 AM
Website Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

Threads: 23

(06-25-2012, 04:07 AM)Sexbad Wrote: Along with my return to this forum since I just stopped visiting for a while, I have more game reviews.

I disagree with this review.

As a person big on Indie games, I can usually understand the points made in games. Even under some insane circumstances. You are looking at the game the wrong way. Super Brothers is an art company. The game is art. Pixel art, but still art. And sometimes things are so chunky to leave room for you to interperate what that would really look like. You know... I wouldn't even call this a game. It is sold and exposed as a game, but you shouldn't be playing it like your trying to get things over with. The game is an experiment to see if people will take there time and try to enjoy what's happening. The tweeting feature was there because they really didn't expect the game to become too popular, and they wanted to see how people would play it. If they would rush everything and have a shallow experiance. Or if they would play it when they really feel like playing it.

Also, there is a way to skip time in-game. This game is an experiment to see how people will experiance the game. When I played this, I decided to try to be immersed, thinking "I am the god controlling this girl"
Think of the game like this is something you are doing. If you were really the Scythian, what would you be doing? What you are there to do!

I know that part above is explained a little weird... But a lot of people put this game off as "Just walking" or something like that. Just please try to look at this... Thing... As something else.
06-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

(06-25-2012, 05:45 AM)Dagrocks Wrote: I disagree with this review.

As a person big on Indie games, I can usually understand the points made in games. Even under some insane circumstances. You are looking at the game the wrong way. Super Brothers is an art company. The game is art. Pixel art, but still art. And sometimes things are so chunky to leave room for you to interperate what that would really look like. You know... I wouldn't even call this a game. It is sold and exposed as a game, but you shouldn't be playing it like your trying to get things over with. The game is an experiment to see if people will take there time and try to enjoy what's happening. The tweeting feature was there because they really didn't expect the game to become too popular, and they wanted to see how people would play it. If they would rush everything and have a shallow experiance. Or if they would play it when they really feel like playing it.

Also, there is a way to skip time in-game. This game is an experiment to see how people will experiance the game. When I played this, I decided to try to be immersed, thinking "I am the god controlling this girl"
Think of the game like this is something you are doing. If you were really the Scythian, what would you be doing? What you are there to do!

I know that part above is explained a little weird... But a lot of people put this game off as "Just walking" or something like that. Just please try to look at this... Thing... As something else.

I call cod art. Calling something art has nothing to do with this though. I assume you meant the visual art style of the game. It is rather good in this game, simple and effective, but it's completely ruined by the constant backtracking and repetition caused by the poor poor game design. Also it looks good on big PC monitors only when zoomed way back.

"If they would rush everything and have a shallow experience. Or if they would play it when they really feel like playing it"
The best way for me to enjoy this kind of short game would be to complete it all in one set. The game almost forces you to take a break and gives you days to forget your connection to the pixel world and come back for lesser experience. Yes you can use the room with the moons, but with the horrible level/puzzle design its easy to get stuck because of pixel hunting and just plain quit and never come back.

The way the game is presented didn't really leave much room for me to get immersed. The linearity, lack of interaction and painfully slow exploring didn't often give me the flow I hoped for.

The best part of the game for me was the close connection of some animations/interactions and sound design. It only shined on some parts though, which is a shame. I'm not even sure I really like the OST yet.

06-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

(06-25-2012, 05:45 AM)Dagrocks Wrote: As a person big on Indie games, I can usually understand the points made in games. Even under some insane circumstances. You are looking at the game the wrong way. Super Brothers is an art company. The game is art. Pixel art, but still art.

All games are art. Art is not a term of praise, rather a state of being. Computer games, along with all other creative and expressive media, are art. This game, because of its paper-thin everything, is bad art.

(06-25-2012, 05:45 AM)Dagrocks Wrote: And sometimes things are so chunky to leave room for you to interperate what that would really look like.

I see no reason why that would fit into a lighthearted medieval fantasy game, or any point-and-click adventure really. PCA's tend to rely on details in the world around you to convey gameplay that is anything deeper than, well, this one.

(06-25-2012, 05:45 AM)Dagrocks Wrote: You know... I wouldn't even call this a game. It is sold and exposed as a game, but you shouldn't be playing it like your trying to get things over with. The game is an experiment to see if people will take there time and try to enjoy what's happening.

Believe it or not, I try that with every game I play (unless it's a very fast-paced one where taking my time is not an option). I tried it once or twice with this, and--I am completely not exaggerating--I almost fell asleep. By halfway through the second chapter I had double-clicked on just about everything in the environment that looked like it would have a description and traveled every footpath more than once. There was nothing to take my time on afterward.

S&S itself also really seemed like it wanted me to just get things over with. The gameplay was an amalgam of challenges just for the sake of impeding progress. What deeper meaning is there to explore in a minigame that has you clicking on fucking birds to advance the plot? What story development is there to be had when you choose to kill or free the naked dancing bear, especially when it's completely out of place and then noted in the Archetype's Twitter feed that "we just put this here to give you a generic ineffectual moral choice okay bye?"

(06-25-2012, 05:45 AM)Dagrocks Wrote: The tweeting feature was there because they really didn't expect the game to become too popular, and they wanted to see how people would play it. If they would rush everything and have a shallow experiance. Or if they would play it when they really feel like playing it.

I don't see how it's possible to not have a shallow experience. There is just nothing to the gameplay, story, visuals, atmosphere, world...

(06-25-2012, 05:45 AM)Dagrocks Wrote: Also, there is a way to skip time in-game. This game is an experiment to see how people will experiance the game. When I played this, I decided to try to be immersed, thinking "I am the god controlling this girl"

Unless they are actually studying the results somewhere and basing their next game around their findings through the Twitter feature that totallywasn'tjustawaytoadvertisethegame, they are not experimenting very well.

If I was the Scythian, I would be following the paper-thin, uninteresting narrative because that would be my only option. There is no reason to care for her or Logfella and Girl because they are completely flat, part of a completely flat world (though it's so small, more like a neighborhood), following a completely flat storyline that doesn't do anything to make itself interesting.

(06-25-2012, 05:45 AM)Dagrocks Wrote: I know that part above is explained a little weird... But a lot of people put this game off as "Just walking" or something like that. Just please try to look at this... Thing... As something else.

I don't see the logic behind "looking at it as something else." If it has bad game mechanics, it plays like a game, and it progresses like a game, I don't need to make myself think that it is good in some other way. I have already spent myself (and my money too) on completing it, exploring every nook and cranny up to, I believe, 98% on the progress bar. I am not about to succumb to the idea that if I just stop thinking so much, or that if I just think of it as a movie, I will be entertained. I would be treating it as something it as not and I would exchange using my brain for being entertained. I like using my brain in entertainment.

Though my point still stands that it would still be a shallow product when viewed as just about anything else. It has a good soundtrack, but that's all. The story and writing are piss-poor. The backdrops are visually pleasing but the graphics lose any and all appeal when zoomed in, especially since S&S doesn't rely on vague graphics in any way (like, say, obscurity in a horror game). The world is small and just about every location makes a repeat appearance without enough life to spruce itself up. What can you make out of these elements that are just not good?

06-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Website Find