Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Request Easy Scripting Tool
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34
RE: Easy Scripting Tool

I don't get it. So if you had a magical program that extracted your thoughts and created the entire code for an entire Full Conversion in 1 second, you wouldn't use it because it is too easy? You make no sense man :/

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
06-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

Really? I'm wandering why FG didn't make the program themselves. I'm also wandering why use flash to make a program like this. I'm also wandering if it isn't so much more easy to make the simple script.

But let's see, how do you want the program to be? tells us about the interface. I'm curious where this is leading to. I just don't get the point of coding a program not to code a mod which would be twice as easy.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
06-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Find
Shadowfied Offline

Dude that flash app is really amazing even though it doesn't do very much yet.

People could honestly use this. (If you develop it further) Amazing stuff.

Also the reason for donations is that it would take A LOT Of time for DamnNoHtml to add more and more stuff to this, but not selling the program.
06-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Find
Russ Money Offline

Threads: 25

(06-28-2011, 06:49 PM)DamnNoHtml Wrote: I don't get it. So if you had a magical program that extracted your thoughts and created the entire code for an entire Full Conversion in 1 second, you wouldn't use it because it is too easy? You make no sense man :/

edit: forget it, I'm squashing this.

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2011, 07:07 PM by Russ Money.)
06-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

Frictional games have made the scripting so simple that it doesn't need a GUI. Come on people, we can bear to write text can't we?

It's not an issue of "why not" really, it's an issue of "why bother". Even if this task is accomplished, I'm almost certain horrible efficiency will soon follow. Anytime you go to a higher level of usage, you lose efficiency. Scripting in itself isn't quite fast as you'd expect, although Frictional did a really good job with it.

Also, if you do not bother to learn the functions to script (all predefined), then you really have no place modding. It's that simple. If you cannot withstand scripting, then I don't expect you to know how manipulate objects in 3D space and the like.

06-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Russ I am just saying, is this not at the very least quicker than typing all the callbacks, checking syntax, etc for a simple monster spawn?

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/0746...8e5408947a

And for the completely inexperienced coders, it makes it at the very least a possible thing without having to learn how to code. I look at Custom Stories like Custom Warcraft III maps. Most people who want to make them don't want to actually learn to code, they just want to create maps, even if loading the code is pretty easy in itself.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2011, 07:17 PM by DamnNoHtml.)
06-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Find
Russ Money Offline

Threads: 25

(06-28-2011, 07:15 PM)DamnNoHtml Wrote: Russ I am just saying, is this not at the very least quicker than typing all the callbacks, checking syntax, etc for a simple monster spawn?

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/0746...8e5408947a

And for the completely inexperienced coders, it makes it at the very least a possible thing without having to learn how to code. I look at Custom Stories like Custom Warcraft III maps. Most people who want to make them don't want to actually learn to code, they just want to create maps, even if loading the code is pretty easy in itself.

Well, I didn't actually type out code when I made my story. I copy and pasted everything from the wiki and from my map files.

If you make a program that let's you more or less copy and paste them into said program, more power to ya'.

06-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(06-28-2011, 07:21 PM)Russ Money Wrote: Well, I didn't actually type out code when I made my story. I copy and pasted everything from the wiki and from my map files.

Actually notepad++ has a nice feature that allow you to see list of the functions with one single letter. Just one letter, not even ctrl+c a/o ctrl+v.

06-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Website Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

Also, I believe you can set it so that you can tabout the function by just typing the first few characters and hitting tab.

It would take you more time to write a super high level tool, than just sit down and script.

06-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Find
xtron Offline

Threads: 37

I would probably donate (DONATE NOT BUY) to DamnNoHtml for making sucha program that helps the beginners. I know that scripting is easy but the ones who's hard learned maybe want it a little easier.

Good luck btw Smile
Oh and btw DamnNoHtml just pm me if you need any ideas or anything Tongue I'd love to help yah out.

[Image: 44917299.jpg]Dubstep <3
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2011, 07:47 PM by xtron.)
06-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Find