Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.3 Average
My new custom story - The Visitor
cook Offline

Threads: 6
RE: My new custom story - The Visitor

This was awesome, lots of texture errors - but I loved the direction of the maps, had me circling around for a while which is rare, had to enter and re-enter rooms and took me a long time to find the lantern and the other section of the mansion etc.

Spoiler below!
The cellar was horrific just because of the sheer size, the kitchen monster had good lighting effects and I felt the same feeling I got in the prison, not knowing where I was going just moving down the corridor searching for the next door, feeling of relief as I go inside and then I see it's another huge area. The final chase I saw coming a mile off sadly, It was probably just luck though. Great layout.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2011, 03:24 PM by cook.)
07-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

Whoops, where were the texture errors? were they things such as light bleeding through walls, flickering textures or sometthing else? thanks for the feedback!
Spoiler below!
Quote:The final chase I saw coming a mile off sadly,
yeah, it's very hard to scare the player with all of these custom stories out there, especially if you make maps yourself, because you know about triggers and such. I dont know if you noticed but I added loads of 'RandInt( , ); and RandFloat( , ); too try to overcome this in some parts, but I'm glad I got the effect intended with the cellar, It was inspired by my first encounter with the prison, having no idea where i'm going! Thanks for playing!

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2011, 03:18 PM by DRedshot.)
07-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Find
cook Offline

Threads: 6

Flickering textures in a lot of areas, oh and one of the parts of the cellar didn't actually have a ceiling, I could see through walls - I didn't keep a record of it though so I can't tell you exactly where - they were quite hard to spot though except for the missing ceiling so it's fine.
07-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Oh damn, i knew I forgot something, but I didnt think it would be that bad!, the flickering textures were due to making complex shapes for the rooms, I tried to solve it by moving the ceiling pieces up by 0.001 but I noticed that some things, such as the wall_divide must be moved more than that to get rid of the ttexture issues, I just forgot to change it.

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2011, 03:30 PM by DRedshot.)
07-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Find
Tiero Offline

Threads: 13

Very good story, good mapping, intresting locations, sometimes beautiful lights, +5 )

[Image: 111.jpg]
07-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Website Find
Zambo Offline

Threads: 0

(07-21-2011, 11:19 AM)DRedshot Wrote: you find the water
Spoiler below!
in the corridors, opposite the lab

Thanks man ive beaten the game Smile
07-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Find
Guanjyn Offline

Hi I just joined because I'm stuck on this custom story and no one has made a let's play of it. First off, just want to say, well done, and it's going great so far. Been playing through as much custom stories as I can find. Now my problem:

Spoiler below!
I have the container, and the lantern. I've completely searched the only 2 rooms unlocked in that first main hall, and can't for the life of me figure out what to do next. I've tried to use the container on the bucket of water and that doesn't work. There are 2 doors I need to unlock. 1 in the lab, and the other in that room with stairs where there's a boarded door and a brute trying to break out. Is my game glitched or something? I've searched every where and can't find any key or chemical. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
07-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

have a good look around in the mansion area
Spoiler below!
There is a puzzle in the mansion area, have you found the hammer? if not you must find the picklock near the dead body,then have a look around until you find a locked door downstairs with wooden boards, those boards can be broken

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2011, 06:36 PM by DRedshot.)
07-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Find
Guanjyn Offline

Thanks for replying.

Spoiler below!
I've already got the lock pick and the hammer and have broken the boards on that door. All I found in there was a note next to a dead body that was a servant apologizing for taking a book or something.
07-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Ahh, there is something else in that room
Spoiler below!
( look under the matress) Wink

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM by DRedshot.)
07-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Find