Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texturing
9903286 Offline

Threads: 3
Texturing

Could someone upload a video where they show how to texture in 3ds max or Maya, i'll just need like a tutorial on how to texture an box (Or if one already exist's, link it)

I've already tried to import textures to 3ds and Maya, but i've had no succes. (It's either that i don't know how to import textures or you need to put it in the Amnesia folder)

You can select it in ModelViewer, but you can't see it...
(Will try to upload a photo...)

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2011, 09:00 PM by 9903286.)
07-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Texturing

i wont make a video, but i think i can still help you out. There are probably plenty of videos on youtube, so if this doesnt help out, have a look there. This is assuming you already have made a box/mesh, and you want to apply a texture. this is focused on Maya, but the principles should apply to any 3d model editing software. (sorry about the long post Smile )

You should create a new folder first, at the desktop, called "MyModelNameGoesHere", and put your texture image in here, then you can export your mesh here aswell.

1. So, you've made a model, and you want it to look nice. Well first off you have to assign a material to the mesh. the material affects details such as reflections and mattness, and also stores infomation about the texture you will be applying, so it is very important.
Spoiler below!

- Select the object in object mode
- right click>Assign New Material
- Then select any of the following materials:
- Blinn: Good for metals
- Lambert: Good for wood materials, not very reflective
- Phong: More for plastics/wet materials

2. now something should pop up at the right hand side of the screen, called for example "Lambert2"
Spoiler below!

- First rename it to something else (doesnt matter what)
- Under "Common Material Attributes" there should be an option called "Color". Click the checkered square to the right of it.

3. A box should pop up, called "Create Render Node"
Spoiler below!

- in the list at the right click "File"
- Change the name from "File1" to whateveryouwant
- scroll down to Image Name, Click the folder icon at the right, and browse untill you find the image of choice.

4. You have now assigned a colour to your material! Now if you click the textured button (little checkered sphere above window) you should see the texture! But if you look, its all messed up, this is because you have to do something called UV mapping. There are lots of tutorials everywere, but ill just go through the basics.
Spoiler below!

- First go into component (or edit) mode and select one face
- click the "Polygons" tab, near the top of the screen
- The last five checkered icons inside the "Polygons" tab represent UV mapping/editing. The last icon is the texture editor itself.
- Click the "Automatic Projection" icon (second from right)
- then click the last icon (texture editor)

5. Now you are in the texture editor. that orange square is the face you selected. You can manipulate this square untill it is in the correct position with the "Move UV Shell Tool" - its at the top left of the screen, below "Polygons"
Spoiler below!

- click move uv shell tool
- Next Click on the orange box. It should turn white. now use W to move, E to rotate, R to scale.

6. Repeat this (Steps 4 - 6) for all of the other faces (you can modify multiple faces at once by selecting more than one face before clicking one of the "Projection Icons"

7. Once it's all done you can export as openCollada, save it into the folder you made at the start, make sure all of the files have the same names (if you've made specular suffix with "_spec.dds" normal maps "_nrm.dds" alpha "_alpha.tga"....

- Now copy your folder to the entities folder and fine tue it in model editor, assign the .mat file in material editor et cetera, and it should work in your map! Smile

Hopefully this helps, if it doesn't i wont be offended, it is hard to understand instructions when they are just written down. But there are loads of other tutorials, just search for them!

08-01-2011, 02:20 AM
Find
9903286 Offline

Thanks, i've got the texture to work in Maya but theres still one problem. It won't appear in Modeleditor.

I think it is that i don't understand:
7. Once it's all done you can export as openCollada, save it into the folder you made at the start, make sure all of the files have the same names (if you've made specular suffix with "_spec.dds" normal maps "_nrm.dds" alpha "_alpha.tga"....)
08-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Find
yasar11732 Offline

Threads: 2

Check this out, it might help http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/thi...3d/blender, I would guess some principles are similiar between 3d editors.

08-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

yeah that above link should help, but if you are still stuck, heres what i meant: download OpenCollada from OpenCollada.org , go to window --> Settings/Preferences --> Plugin Manager, in Maya, And enable MayaCollada. Open your model, export as OpenCollada. Export to Desktop>MyEntityFolder
Make the Folder name the same as the .dae name (so if your models called chair.dae call your folder chair) copy your textures into this folder and change their names to for example
"chair.dds"
"chair_spec.dds"
"chair_nrm.dds"

At the end this should be your folder structure
Desktop-->
chair-->
chair.dae
chair.dds
chair_spec.dds (optional)
chair_nrm.dds (optional)
chair_xxxx.xxx (optional)

The _spec tells the game that the texture is specular, this is the 'shiny' effect you get on entities when a light is shining on it with alpha (i think)
_nrm is the normal map, i've forgot what this does. basically, you will know if you have made a specular or normal map, but they are optional Smile

now copy the folder to
amnesia - the dark descent > redist > entities (skip redist if on steam)
open material editor, and click diffuse, select your texture and repeat for all the other files (specular) (normal maps) (height) then save the material file in your 'chair' folder for example. then if you open model editor, click import mesh, and add the bodies, it should show up with a texture

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2011, 07:47 PM by DRedshot.)
08-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Find
9903286 Offline

Oaky, now i get it. But i don't have any .dds files at all. Do you need some extra program for that or will the .dds files appear automaticly. (In that case, what is wrong with the plugin?)

The only thing i got in my folder is: Test.dae, Test.png and that's all.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2011, 10:26 PM by 9903286.)
08-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

ok, basically .dds is just an image file, an efficient image file which uses less memory. Simply open test.png wth an image editing program like GIMP or photoshop, and export as .dds (you will need a .dds plugin for photoshop, i'm not sure about GIMP)

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2011, 10:32 PM by DRedshot.)
08-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Find
yasar11732 Offline

You don't need any dds files, they are just image extensions like jpg, png or tga, whatever you used for your textures will do. As far as I know, naming of the textures doesn't matter, as long as you exported your dae correctly. If your model view/editor can't find your textures, open dae file with notepad or something, and see where it is looking for textures.

Naming of the specular, normal or other maps also doesn't matter, you create a .mat file with material editor and tell it where to find specular, normal, alpha etc. map.

@DRedshot:

Normal maps indicates the angle of surface in each point of the texture, so that you can have 3d effect without making your model more complicated. There are some photoshop/gimp plugins that make normal maps using bump/height maps.

Edit add:

@DRedshot:

Gimp needs a plugin for that too.

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2011, 10:38 PM by yasar11732.)
08-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Find
9903286 Offline

I almost got it now, i got it to be visible in modelviewer.. But... Well i can't explain it, i'll upload a picture instead: Image
08-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Find
yasar11732 Offline

What are the exact sizes of images you used for your textures?

08-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Find