Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Similar Horror Games
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11
Similar Horror Games

Hey Guys,

We're currently doing some playthroughs of Amnesia and Penumbra on our YouTube channel.

Does anyone have any other horror game suggestions?

Think A Little, Change A Lot
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2011, 11:36 AM by BrooksyFC.)
08-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Find
BendyBread Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Similar Horror Games

I have a few, but I don't know what you've done so far, so sorry if I've listed games you've already played. XD
-Amnesia (and Justine DLC package)
-Penumbra Series (Both of which you're already doing).
-Dead Space 1 & 2
-Fear
-Silent Hill (possibly)
-Undying
08-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Darkness Within series
Scratches
Dark Fall series
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
etc...

08-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-05-2011, 01:39 PM)BendyBread Wrote: I have a few, but I don't know what you've done so far, so sorry if I've listed games you've already played. XD
-Dead Space 1 & 2
-Fear
-Silent Hill (possibly)
-Undying

How is dead space like amnesia at all... what makes it scary (and I use scary VERY VERY lightly) is constant jump scares and gallons of blood everywhere. And with dead space 2 the developers even said themselves they were gonna make it more action based than horror. So comparing it to amnesia, a game that uses sounds, atomousphere, and pure dread to make it scary doesn't make any sense...

That's just my opinion of course, you can think whatever you want. As for what game you should play i've heard the first 3 resident evils were pretty good, and of course the silent hill series.

Posting Freak
08-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(08-05-2011, 09:53 PM)kman Wrote: i've heard the first 3 resident evils were pretty good, and of course the silent hill series.

You heard right!
And Silent Hill series are just from another level.

08-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Website Find
BendyBread Offline

(08-05-2011, 09:53 PM)kman Wrote:
(08-05-2011, 01:39 PM)BendyBread Wrote: I have a few, but I don't know what you've done so far, so sorry if I've listed games you've already played. XD
-Dead Space 1 & 2
-Fear
-Silent Hill (possibly)
-Undying

How is dead space like amnesia at all... what makes it scary (and I use scary VERY VERY lightly) is constant jump scares and gallons of blood everywhere. And with dead space 2 the developers even said themselves they were gonna make it more action based than horror. So comparing it to amnesia, a game that uses sounds, atomousphere, and pure dread to make it scary doesn't make any sense...

That's just my opinion of course, you can think whatever you want. As for what game you should play i've heard the first 3 resident evils were pretty good, and of course the silent hill series.
Calm the hell down, you're being a massive prick.

I wasn't "comparing". The thread starter asked for a list of scary games and I listed a few. Find me where I ever started comparing them.
Oh wait, I didn't. You just jumped in on me and decided to make an ass out of yourself by being abusive and over opinionative when it wasn't called for.
Next time you should just click that "x" in the top right corner rather than abusing me for following the TS's directions.
08-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-06-2011, 01:06 AM)BendyBread Wrote:
(08-05-2011, 09:53 PM)kman Wrote:
-Dead Space 1 & 2
-Fear
-Silent Hill (possibly)
-Undying

How is dead space like amnesia at all... what makes it scary (and I use scary VERY VERY lightly) is constant jump scares and gallons of blood everywhere. And with dead space 2 the developers even said themselves they were gonna make it
more action based than horror. So comparing it to amnesia, a game that uses sounds, atomousphere, and pure dread to make it scary doesn't make any sense...

Calm the hell down, you're being a massive prick.

I wasn't "comparing". The thread starter asked for a list of scary games and I listed a few. Find me where I ever started comparing them.
Oh wait, I didn't. You just jumped in on me and decided to make an ass out of yourself by being abusive and over opinionative when it wasn't called for.
Next time you should just click that "x" in the top right corner rather than abusing me for following the TS's directions.

Well whatever. I just read that the topic was about games simler to amnesia so I figured when I read that, that was what you meant. Sorry if you think I'm over reacting but it was just my honest opinion.

Posting Freak
08-06-2011, 05:23 AM
Website Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(08-05-2011, 01:39 PM)BendyBread Wrote: -Silent Hill (possibly)
"Possibly", haha. I honestly laughed. Silent Hill (at last 1 and 2, the latter - 3&4 was meh) is much more intense compare to Amnesia. At last for me. ATDD uses classical methods to "scare" the viewer/player, tho, I must admit, brilliantly complied and composed. SH in other hand goes more in psychological area and grotesque representation of fears. That's why the latter is still the best horror-game for me.

P.S. Disregard 3&4.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2011, 12:33 PM by Kein.)
08-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Condemned was a pretty good game.
Also, Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3 is the scariest thing I've ever played, that level beat Amnesia so hard. That level is by the end of the game though.
System Shock 2 had some tense moments, as well as Alien vs Predator 2.
Various HL2 mods.

And guys, just because you don't agree with what people consider scary you don't have to patronize their choices of games. Better to point them out rather than just leave them out, the broader the list the better for Brooksy.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
08-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

I'll offer my opinion that 3 and 4 are worth looking into. Any Silent Hills outside of the first 4 are really pretty bad, but 3 and 4 are still compelling psychological horrors, each with a theme.
1: parental love
2: lust
3: anger
4: obsession, attachment
08-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Find