Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
in request of a partner...
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
in request of a partner...

so for a while now i've wanted to make a custom story and i've fially gotten a good and unique idea. so last night i downloaded the level editor and i just flat out can't figure any of it out. i looked at the wiki, spent lots of time trying different things in it, searched up tutorials and i just couldn't figure it out! now i still want to make a custom story, but... well i was wondering if anyone would want to make one with me. yes i know its kind of an odd request but i'm "special" when it comes to computers and making mods is just too confusing for me. the credit of corse would be split half and half, it wouldn't be one or the others custom story. now what i would do is just set out the basic layouts for each level, decide puzzles, come up with the story, etc. and the other would just design the levels and script. and of corse is you want to do this you could your opinion on parts of levels or the story where you feel could be improved on and i'd change them. so yeah i know probably no one will want to do this because they don't want to have a custom story that's only partially theirs, but for example if you have ideas for maps or you don't have a solid story you should PM me about it if you're interested.

Edit: ok so I found a tutorial I understood a few hours after I posted this T_T needless to say I full on face palmed. one of the mods go ahead and delete this thread...

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2011, 11:21 AM by Kman.)
08-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Website Find
rybray Offline

Threads: 9
RE: in request of a partner...

Before you jump into your custom story I really suggest you make some test maps, trying out areas and timers and maybe one with monster spawns, just to learn how everything works and get the script down. Make sure you understand all the basics so you aren't learning too many new things as you make your story.
08-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

(08-14-2011, 06:11 PM)rybray Wrote: Before you jump into your custom story I really suggest you make some test maps, trying out areas and timers and maybe one with monster spawns, just to learn how everything works and get the script down. Make sure you understand all the basics so you aren't learning too many new things as you make your story.

Yeah I know i'm gonna spend a few days getting to know how the whole thing works before I do any serious work. I have a pretty solid story so it would be a shame if it ended up sucking.

Posting Freak
08-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Website Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

(08-14-2011, 07:04 PM)kman Wrote:
(08-14-2011, 06:11 PM)rybray Wrote: Before you jump into your custom story I really suggest you make some test maps, trying out areas and timers and maybe one with monster spawns, just to learn how everything works and get the script down. Make sure you understand all the basics so you aren't learning too many new things as you make your story.

Yeah I know i'm gonna spend a few days getting to know how the whole thing works before I do any serious work. I have a pretty solid story so it would be a shame if it ended up sucking.

I hadn't even tried to make a custom story for at least 3 months from when I started getting used to it. Most newbies probably just want to jump in and start making some cool stuff, but it's not that easy. You also are going to have to script it all. It can be a lot harder than you think.

08-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

(08-14-2011, 07:11 PM)Kyle Wrote:
(08-14-2011, 07:04 PM)kman Wrote:

I hadn't even tried to make a custom story for at least 3 months from when I started getting used to it. Most newbies probably just want to jump in and start making some cool stuff, but it's not that easy. You also are going to have to script it all. It can be a lot harder than you think.

oh no don't worry, i realize Tongue it took me like 15 minutes to build a simple room, so i can't even begin to imagine how long filling it up with items, monsters, etc. would take. but i have a LOT of patients, so i won't release anything until i feel it's up to standard. and like i said i'm just gonna be getting used to the tools before i start anything serious

Posting Freak
08-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Website Find